Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Climate would you Live in or Prefer?
Mediterranean Climate(CA) 35 67.31%
Subtropical 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
California doesn't have a Mediterranean climate. "Mediterranean" climates have warm, muggy summers with high humidity and cool but mild winters with lots (and lots, and lots) of rain. Endless rain. Italy, Greece, southern Spain and France, et cetera.

California has a temperate desert climate in the south and northeast-- very dry and not always warm. There are actually some very cold places in Cali that go down in the 20's, inland northeast and the like. Los Angeles west is mild with less variation, and east is downright freaking hot in the desert.
Actually,lol,California DOES have a Mediterranean Climate but thank for your input.
Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you don't "trust" Wikipedia,do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Only a bout half maybe a little more of California is classified as having it though.
http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ritt...terranean.html
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/climate.htm
http://www.meteorologyclimate.com/Me...an-climate.htm

Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
California doesn't have a Mediterranean climate. "Mediterranean" climates have warm, muggy summers with high humidity and cool but mild winters with lots (and lots, and lots) of rain. Endless rain. Italy, Greece, southern Spain and France, et cetera.

California has a temperate desert climate in the south and northeast-- very dry and not always warm. There are actually some very cold places in Cali that go down in the 20's, inland northeast and the like. Los Angeles west is mild with less variation, and east is downright freaking hot in the desert.
Actually Ca does have a Mediterrean Climate,Just b/c we don't get a lot of rain in the winter Like Spain,Greeze,and France.It's the Fact that the CA,Spain,France,and Greece Recieve most of their rain in the Winter.Mediterrean Climate Countries get most of their rain in the Winter and it doesn't matter how much rain they get it's the Fact that The Region get most of the rain in the Winter time.Los Angeles gets 15 inches of Rain every year,Not in the Summer,Spring,sometimes Fall, But in the Winter is where the Majority of rainfall occurs.

Last edited by californialove24; 04-12-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 07:58 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
I have to admit. I could and would never handle living in the south with my aesthma. It would be torture. The humidity would destroy me. I have lived in Virginia Beach, which isn't even far south and I couldn't handle their summers. I have been to Florida on several occasions. I didn't care for sweating like a hog, just for walking down the block. People always say about Florida, but everything's air conditioned. Yeah, that's great and all, but call me crazy, I prefer to be outside in nice weather. I also have and did live in California and let me just say that it was perfect. No humidity. Perfect temperatures. It's not even comparible. I would take southern California weather over any weather in the world...

Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
The Southeast is more representative of the subtropical climate. Once you get down into south Florida, that's when you enter the tropical climate.

That being said, I'd prefer the Mediterranean climate, but only if I'm by the coast. Once you go inland, it gets annoyingly hot during the summer (Examples include inland Spain and central California.)

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
The Southeast is more representative of the subtropical climate. Once you get down into south Florida, that's when you enter the tropical climate.

That being said, I'd prefer the Mediterranean climate, but only if I'm by the coast. Once you go inland, it gets annoyingly hot during the summer (Examples include inland Spain and central California.)
Very true The I.E. gets hot in the summer,But in the Winter the I.E. temps are perfect 70-75 Degrees.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
Not perfect. Just best in the continental US.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM

^^ Some say "Perfect" or "Best",Though can't argue with Honolulu,The best weather in America,San Diego being Best Weather for Continental U.S.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 AM

61 posts, read 247,579 times
i've lived in NYC for these darn first 30 yrs of my life, and so i'd be happy to take a change for either.

probably would lean toward the subtropical, because there's some degree of winter chill that helps prepare for refreshening when warmth returns, and becuz ive heard horror stories of 110F+ summers in sacramento which is so far north to have such hot summers!

by the way much of hawaii is subtropical, not tropical. likewise bulk of florida is subtropical, only southern tip and keys is tropical.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karm View Post
and becuz ive heard horror stories of 110F+ summers in sacramento which is so far north to have such hot summers!
Summers in Sacramento ARE horror stories LOL only because it sits in a Valley but is only 1 hr from the mountains and 1 1/2 hrs to Lake Tahoe

So summer relief is never far,but just the overall dry heat is overwhelming more so in Sac than any other California city,I'd still take that over the humidity though, and the Delta breezes even things out at night time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City