Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times

Advertisements

I'd say downtown Seattle or many areas of Portland-- it definitely has the "Jetsons" feel going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM

205 posts, read 720,482 times
Seattle, Bellevue or Vancouver.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:23 PM

205 posts, read 720,482 times
people actually said NY and Chicago? Thats funny...nothing "modern" comes to mind about those two as they are all about the story of the American past/empire.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM

22 posts, read 61,366 times
I think Phoenix is city with a very modern look and feel. There are a lot of highly stylized modern buildings, such as our art museum, library, ect. and the desert look of the area really blends well with those styles. Obviously, Phoenix is a very young city, something that its size distorts and it therefore doesn't have the big stone buildings a lot of older East Coast cities have.
In addition, i think that the way Phoenix is laid out is very indicative of a new model of urban development. Phoenix has a downtown and a pretty strong central core (which is continueing to develop), but because of its size geographical, surrounding cities like Tempe, Scottsdale and Glendale have very strong presence. Glendale has sports, Tempe has the college and bar scene and Scottsdale has the hip club stuff. Phoenix is somewhat like LA (on a younger scale) in that regard. This type of spread out, niche market city is the way the country is moving rather than the traditional style of a big downtown with people living around it. All of the PHX suburbs have sort of mixed into the general area.
I love big downtowns and i hope Phoenix countinues to develop its core, but i think its an interesting things to look at. I'm not trying to say Phoenix is better than anywhere else, and i'm aware there is a lot of cookie cutter crap here, so no one needs to chime in with that. But i vote Phoenix as the most modern city, for better or for worse.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
There could be a thread titled: "Most Beautiful Mountain City," and all the NYC fiends would come in and claim that it is. Its ridiculous.

With the addition of Millenium Park, and radical, unique skyscrapers beginning to pop up in downtown, I'd say Chicago. Then probably Toronto.
That's not fair. We all know that Adirondact provide increadible background to Big Aplle...

Now seriously, New York does not come to mind as a modern city especially when compared to Brasillia, Mexico City, New Delhi and all those modern experiments in urban life. It's is older and grittier.
Now when you cerafully read the questions posed by the OP, New York more than qualifies due to its transportations system, fashion, entertainement etc etc.
Even if it does not immedialtely comes to mind as a modern city it is undeniably America's most advanced city.

Last edited by dementor; 04-14-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
I don't like modern...

Cape coral, FL is modern as hell.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Dallas:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6995/victorycq1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

156 posts, read 378,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
people actually said NY and Chicago? Thats funny...nothing "modern" comes to mind about those two as they are all about the story of the American past/empire.
Money modernizes all cities.

Old cities like London and Shanghai can look modern in some parts because they still got the money.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 AM

42 posts, read 184,601 times
As for US cities I think Boston feels very modern. Its very clean, has a great public transportation system, and has many headquarters for fortune 500 companies.

For world cities, they would be Istanbul and Tel Aviv. They seem so advanced in every aspect.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:18 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Boston is an old historical city, not modern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City