Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My question is exactly what do people use to distinguish what makes one cities culture better than another city.
Barbecue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:43 PM

981 posts, read 805,612 times
Overrated: New York City

Underrated: LA, Houston, and possibly Chicago.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Washington, D.C = underrated....ppl think D.C is all about govt, politics, and the whitehouse....D.C culture runs deep and has deep roots....ppl dont know about go-go music, the fashion trends, the lingo, redskins nation, the carry- outs ....the AA history of D.C .....

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I would say that with the exception of New Orleans and Miami, the southern and southwestern cities are all underrated by many people on this forum. A lot of people on here simply refuse to believe that culture exists in the south, which is pretty ridiculous.
I would never argue that Southern cities are without any culture. When used in the broadest sense, “culture” exists everywhere. As I perceive the term to be used here, it means things such as museums, theaters, orchestras, art galleries, opera, ballet, film festivals, etc. I may well be using the term more narrowly than others… if so, my apologies.

To be sure, all big cities possess these amenities. The question is whether they exist in a given city at an extraordinarily high level of professionalism. Having a couple of good…but not great museums and a second-tier symphony orchestra does not make a city a cultural destination.

I would argue that if you look south of St Louis and west of Minneapolis, you really only have three cities with a highly developed art/culture scene: Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston. Atlanta and Dallas are big cities, but are, at best, on a par with a host of smaller Eastern and Midwestern cities. Seattle, San Diego, and Denver have adequate cultural scenes, but can’t compete with similarly-sized cities to the east of them. Phoenix and Miami, from my experiences, are close to be being cultural wastelands.

I’m really not down on the Sunbelt or the West. I think much of it has to do with the fact that most Southern and Western cities are relatively new. The great cities of the East and Midwest have had a lot longer to develop a cultural profile. The art organizations in those cities have typically been around much longer. This means deeper community roots, better national and international connections, and larger financial endowments. Many of the cities of the South (and the West) have a lot going for them; I just think that art and culture typically aren’t among them.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
overrated-NYC and Boston
underrated-Denver and Cleveland

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 PM

126 posts, read 408,659 times
Fort Worth is actually a very underrated city for culture, at least in Texas. The city has world renowned art museums, a number of live theatre venues, a bustling restaurant scene, excellent architecture in the central city, and a growing artist community.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,681 times
Houston is highly overrated--by Houstonians! They brag about their theater district as being "second only to NYC" but if you read the fine print, the houston theater district is 2nd in number of theaters in one compact area, very few theaters exist outside of a 6 block area. Many other cities have far more reputable theaters, just not in one area (San Diego comes to mind, for example).

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linative View Post
pretty broad category, but i would say just for starters; los angeles, washington dc, cleveland, miami, houston and nashville are underrated for some of the things you mention. Too many people think la only has hollywood for example. Another city might be memphis.
+1

Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Washington, D.C = underrated....ppl think D.C is all about govt, politics, and the whitehouse....D.C culture runs deep and has deep roots....ppl dont know about go-go music, the fashion trends, the lingo, redskins nation, the carry- outs ....the AA history of D.C .....
This.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:17 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
Underrated World-Class Cultural Institutions
Minneapolis
Houston
Cleveland

Not Exactly World-Class But Surprisingly Underrated Nonetheless
Winnipeg
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Salt Lake City

Aptly Rated
New York
Chicago
Washington DC
Montreal
Toronto
San Francisco
Philadelphia

Overrated
Portland, OR

Not Sure
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas
LA
Vancouver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City