Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is Better?
The West 80 61.07%
South 51 38.93%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But Texas is the south.
More Southwest. Its own thing. Except for some of East Texas, it is much different from LA, MS, AL, GA, AR, KY, TN, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
As far as the weather is concerned to some people, Hot and humid is not for them. You also have people that feel that they do not want to be forced into driving everywhere they rather have driving as an option or a last resort. I will give you the fact that Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are booming with jobs and a lower cost of living. Yes you may get a bigger house for less money in the burbs but to some people, that is not their vision of the American dream. You have people that are content with a hi-rise condo or a rowhouse within a city environment.

Some people just do not want to live in a sunbelt environment where everything is spread out.

Some people may not want to live in a sunbelt enviroment, but all you have to do is look at which cities are growing at this moment and that would be Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Charlotte. All of these cities are either in the south or west. Maybe the old American dream was to get to New York and live the fast paced life and rent an apartment, but this 2009 and things have changed. If an area is growing over 100,000 people a year in a recession, that area is doing an outstanding job with its resources. These are the only major cities in the country that are "really" growing.

Speaking on the weather, The summers can be humid in the south and the north can have some harsh winters. Based on a 365 day yr, I'd much rather live in the south because of weather, look at Arizona and Florida, home to retirees because of the weather mainly.

Also, you stated that some people are content with a high rise or rowhouse which is fine, but I wonder who in their right mind would rent out an apartment for $1500 a month or buy a house with a yard and a driveway for the same price in the south. It's only logical to assume that more people would want the house.

Finally, as for being spreaded out, what's wrong with that? That's the route that the american cities are taking now. All the cities that are growing, are spreaded out. These areas have a major city where people work and surburbs where people stay.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
More Southwest. Its own thing. Except for some of East Texas, it is much different from LA, MS, AL, GA, AR, KY, TN, SC.
Definitely agree texas is different...outside of far east texas in old south stuff, and houston as a new south city... Texas is a whole different ballpark or cultural norms. Think ... the Wild West... that is texas, where most of that history went down...u know... San Antonio (Alamo) Dallas / FT WORTH ..

Texas is pretty OK in my book... definitely different than alabama/georgia/missisippi/arkansas/tennessee/south carolina version of the South ...

and honestly Louisiana is definitely a different vibe than the rest of the south... I also prefer that as well, to me, much more "cultural" than the rest...or at the least, stuff I like more than the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Finally, as for being spreaded out, what's wrong with that? That's the route that the american cities are taking now. All the cities that are growing, are spreaded out. These areas have a major city where people work and surburbs where people stay.
eh...pretty sure dallas and atlanta miami and houston are trying to urbanize more at this point as they realize they probably went too far in the other direction.

Last edited by grapico; 04-17-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Texas is its own thing in many ways (and as a Texan I am proud of that), but it is definitely not the "Southwest" if by such a definition it means inclusion into a region with New Mexico and Arizona. Most of Texas is Southwest as in "western South." This is totally different in historical and cultural terms from the "southern West" Southwest of the latter two states. Texas is essentially a Southern state.

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-17-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

37 posts, read 180,908 times
I want to live in a large country style house in the middle of a cotton field surrounded by nothing but nature itself, and sit outside on a huge veranda and watch the amazing thunderstorms roll in, while sipping on a good glass of red wine.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Texas is DEFINATELY it's own thing. It is the south, but it's is OWN south. Not the same south of GA, VA, NC, ect, ect. Texas has more of a western vibe. It's STILL southern, but with a huge WESTERN influence. San Antonio and Austin are 2 of the BEST examples I can give you. With the heavy hispanic/mexican influence in the two cities, it gives them more of a southwestern feel.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
This is public transportation at its best.
· This map was custom-designed by Michael Calcagno (contact) for Welcome to www.nycsubway.org. Copyright © 2005 by Michael Calcagno.
· This is not the official map. The MTA/NYCT does not sponsor or endorse this web site.
· Please note: We do not allow reproduction rights of our map. Please don't ask. If you wish to use a subway map in your own project, you should consider licensing the official MTA map, or try this public domain subway map.
· Note About Printing. Internet Explorer does a poor job of printing our map due to its size. You might have better luck printing a PDF version of the map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
exactly, not sure what people don't get...

... it isn't even useful unless you live in a specific location, most cities you can live virtually anywhere that is populated and get on the subway in a few blocks walk...

some more examples to beat it into their heads. I covered that in the ridership and it is mostly poor blacks that use Marta and this was published by the city of atlanta in 2007, still won't get it. it is a losing battle.

Clearly their version of "extensive" is different than most peoples.

http://subway.umka.org/maps/paris.gif
http://subway.umka.org/maps/boston.gif
http://subway.umka.org/maps/london.gif
http://subway.umka.org/maps/washington.gif
http://subway.umka.org/maps/madrid.gif
http://subway.umka.org/maps/barcelona.gif

sunbelt cities are horrendous and not even considerable if you don't wanna drive yourself bonkers to live without a car, other cities you are often better off without a car.
Ladies and gentlemen, how it's done.

I have nothing against the South personally outside of the fact that I'm much more Liberal than the norm there, so if southern cities started developing more centrally I would consider them the same way I consider other places.

And what's interesting is that Paris, Boston, London, Washington, Madrid, and Barcelona are all low-mid rise cities. Most people live in flats, true, but it refutes the idea that cities necessarily have to be "Manhattanized".

And on some level I can empathize with people in Atlanta or Texas cities. The state of Michigan is very counter productive when it comes to developing transit as well. I could only dream of that criss-crossed and color-coded map in Detroit. =\

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM

198 posts, read 653,776 times
I just drove from Raleigh, NC to Phoenix, AZ last week, and honestly.. the south really sucks.. those ugly woods dont stop from the atlantic to Shrevport, LA.. the south is alot larger then the west.. also was established before it.

Texas originally was part of the west.. but somewhere in the last two decades they became the south. blah.. The south squared is probably.. Miami to Raleigh, To OK City? down to San Antonio..

The West... California holds it down.. With a few outside cities (Portland, Seattle, El Paso,Albequerque, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Reno

Im all for the California lifestyle over the South.. but it's so biased being that Ive lived in the south and absolutely hated it, from the massive amounts of polin in the air, to the humidity and dirty swamps.

Sure the west doesnt have tropical beaches, but does the south have a Lake Tahoe?
The south has the everglades, the west has Yosemite.
The south has alot more cities, the west has a city bigger than any 3 southern cities.
The south has Miami, the west has Vegas
blah blah blah... I love the west, from the desert to the pacific.
only Texas shuts me up about the south, the rest of it can go in the garbage.
Lol maybe not Miami.. but yea..

Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
"Ugly woods".....ROFL!

And yes, Texas was originally part of the west when the westward boundary of the U.S. was Texas. We've got a few more stars added to our flag now.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
I just drove from Raleigh, NC to Phoenix, AZ last week, and honestly.. the south really sucks.. those ugly woods dont stop from the atlantic to Shrevport, LA.. the south is alot larger then the west.. also was established before it.

Texas originally was part of the west.. but somewhere in the last two decades they became the south. blah.. The south squared is probably.. Miami to Raleigh, To OK City? down to San Antonio..

The West... California holds it down.. With a few outside cities (Portland, Seattle, El Paso,Albequerque, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Reno

Im all for the California lifestyle over the South.. but it's so biased being that Ive lived in the south and absolutely hated it, from the massive amounts of polin in the air, to the humidity and dirty swamps.

Sure the west doesnt have tropical beaches, but does the south have a Lake Tahoe?
The south has the everglades, the west has Yosemite.
The south has alot more cities, the west has a city bigger than any 3 southern cities.
The south has Miami, the west has Vegas
blah blah blah... I love the west, from the desert to the pacific.
only Texas shuts me up about the south, the rest of it can go in the garbage.
Lol maybe not Miami.. but yea..
If my history is correct, then Texas seceeded from the union during the Civil War. it is also obvious that Texas was part of the Western expansion because it was the Western most part of the country at the time. Also, Alabama and Mississippi were apart of the Western expansion. just wanted to go over some history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City