U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM

2,241 posts, read 4,846,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
South shore's density is about 21,000 people per sq. mile and it's has a black majority.
That's not all that high of a density...at least in comparison to the Northeastern and Midwestern cities before white flight. I can name for you a dozen Pittsburgh neighborhoods alone that surpassed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM

4,488 posts, read 5,148,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
the closest thing to south shore in the coutry would probably be somewhere in Brooklyn.
South shore's density is about 21,000 people per sq. mile and it's has a black majority.
Lol, plus Brooklyn is on the South Shore itself. In fact there is a high school in Brooklyn called South Shore High School - unless they renamed it after a Kennedy like everything else in NY!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,221,253 times
Rain,

Your credibility is slowly evaporating. How many times do I have to prove you wrong in a thread? This is getting ridiculous and comical all at once. DC has 110 million square feet of COMMERCIAL office space. This does not include the Federal office buildings. The key word here is COMMERCIAL. If you add in the Federal office space, in buildings such as the IRS, FBI, Interior, Agriculture, Labor, Transportation, Justice, Energy, State Dept, etc.... then DC has more than 180 million square feet coming in behind NYC. Let me know if you want the link again that supports my statement.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM

^ Do you have a link that has all cities' office space?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,592,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
^ Do you have a link that has all cities' office space?
I can almost assure you he/she doesnt have a link that says Washington has(180 M sq ft of office space) Whew which would be almost 40% more downtown office space as Chicago.

Any reports I have seen has washington at 80 M sq ft(1/3 of which is occupied by the Feds)
Chicago at 120 M sq ft.
Manhattan at whopping 440 M sq ft.

SF,Bos at 50 M sq ft
Philly 45 M sq ft.

Ainuline I believe Pitt has about 20 M sq ft.

Last edited by rainrock; 04-20-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I can almost assure you he/she doesnt have a link that says Washington has(180 M sq ft of office space) almost 70% as much office space as Chicago.

Any reports I have seen has washington at 80 M sq ft(1/3 of which is occupied by the Feds)
Chicago at 120 M sq ft.
Manhattan at whopping 440 M sq ft.

SF,Bos at 50 M sq ft
Philly 45 M sq ft.

Ainuline I believe Pitt has about 20 M sq ft.
Interesting. Thanks. I thought Pittsburgh was a bit bigger by office space than its size denotes. I've been looking for a list of cities by office space for years now...ever since I read that on 9/11 NYC lost more office space than the entire city of Cincinnati...which is simply unreal if that's true.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM

464 posts, read 717,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Interesting. Thanks. I thought Pittsburgh was a bit bigger by office space than its size denotes. I've been looking for a list of cities by office space for years now...ever since I read that on 9/11 NYC lost more office space than the entire city of Cincinnati...which is simply unreal if that's true.
There is no way that's true...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
There is no way that's true...
WTC's apparently had 16 million square feet; if Pittsburgh has 20 million, than I don't think it is too unlikely. Through a quick search, I found this (though it says equivalent):

TripWiser | Find Things to Do in Florida, USA trip: test | TripWiser: Social Trip Planner for Family Trips and Road Trips | Twine

Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 8,592,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Rain,

DC has more than 180 million square feet coming in behind NYC. Let me know if you want the link again that supports my statement.
I'd love to see this from a credible source. Please no chamber of commerce puff piece, a legitimate source like Cb Richard Ellis or Studley would be much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,022,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

I could use some other analogies:

Burlington is the "NYC" of Vermont;

Denver is the "Los Angeles" of Colorado;

I am the "Chicago" of my living room..
That was a good one.... You are absolutely right, some comparisons simply do not make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City