Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee proper is much bigger than Pittsburgh proper. It also has the advantage of being a lakefront city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...who sees SOME similarities between Milwaukee and Pittsburgh; just scroll backwards and you'll find several on this board who have the same opinion--one referred to them as "twin brothers"..if you're offended by Milwaukee, then consider Cleveland, then I could compare industrial backgrounds along with the Case-Western Reserve with Carnegie-Mellon..hardly a far-fetched observation...
Didn't I already compare Pittsburgh to Cleveland? Detroit too. What is your problem with me arguing against someone claiming Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are "ridiculously" similar? This is a discussion forum...get used to it.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Milwaukee proper is much bigger than Pittsburgh proper. It also has the advantage of being a lakefront city.
It is. But Pittsburgh's metro is larger than Milwaukee's. Personally, I think Milwaukee's lake is much better than our rivers though.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
It's metro is bigger, that's true. Milwaukee's metro runs into Chicago's metro, though. I have a friend who grew up in Pittsburgh - it does look like a beautiful city.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM

22 posts, read 49,592 times
Quote:
...since I believe that there is a connection. Both Pittsburgh and Milwaukee give off a Rust Belt-Polish/German/Italian/Slavic ethnic enclave/shot-and-a-beer/industrial-educational vibe (Dusquesne vs. Marquette, UPitt vs. UWMilwaukee, etc). Both have suffered as a result of the decline of home-grown heavy industry in America, and both are striving to replace their heritage with something else, be it education/healthcare/high-tech or anything else. I think that both will succeed.
Well put. They are both river cities too. There is just a feeling you get when you're walking around Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Maybe it's the smell of the beer from the microbreweries, or the enthusiasm mixed with xenophobia of the residents, but both cities are tons o' fun.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
While we're at it...just thought I'd add a few things.

(1) Milwaukee County Demographics:

--25% German
--11% Polish
--9% Hispanic/Latino
--5% Irish

Allegheny County Demographics

--20% German
--15% Italian
--13% Irish
--7% Polish

Are the two cities really that similar demographically?

You mention that the two cities are similar because they both have a Catholic university and a state university; but why do you ignore Pittsburgh's best university when comparing the two cities? To fit your procrustean bed?

Additionally, every rust belt city is trying to make a comeback, or reinvent itself into something new economically. I don't see anything particularly unique about this between Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

Bottom line: both cities have similarities, but by your minimal criteria, I could say that Pittsburgh and New York are ridiculously similar....something that's obviously false.
That's fair. For me, a couple of things stand out. First of all, my credentials: I have never lived in either city. However, I did go to college in Grove City, which is an hour north of the Burgh. Needless to say, I've spent a good amount of time there. As far as Milwaukee, I've lived in Chicagoland for all of my life save five years, so again, suffice to say I know much about our Largest Suburb.

I believe it's the feeling one gets while walking through both cities. There is such a rich texture in both. They are drinking German towns. I think that's it. Milwaukee is known for its German-like beer fests, its wursts, etc., and doesn't Pittsburgh have those racing pierogis during the Buccos games? I guess it would be that German influence which gives each city a similar vibe.

By no means is that an insult! Both cities are great, and yes they have many differences as well. For my money, the Burgh has the second-best skyline in the country.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL, that's priceless.

This is actually a really good comparison, probably the best yet. Both Milwaukee and Buffalo are Rust Belt cities whose metropolitan areas border on the edge of massive world cities (Chicago, Toronto).
Yeah, you're right. Very similar!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
...who sees SOME similarities between Milwaukee and Pittsburgh; just scroll backwards and you'll find several on this board who have the same opinion--one referred to them as "twin brothers"..if you're offended by Milwaukee, then consider Cleveland, then I could compare industrial backgrounds along with the Case-Western Reserve with Carnegie-Mellon..hardly a far-fetched observation...
Totally agree with your take on Pitt-Milweezy.

As far as comparing Cleveland with Pittsburgh, isn't that a little like cheating? I mean, we're taking the eastern-most midwest city and the western-most east coast city. They are so close, it would almost be like comparing Chicago and Milwaukee (if they were in different regions) and saying how similar they are. They would be expected to be similar, because of their proximity.

Just a thought.

By the way, has anyone else here been to both Chicago and Milwaukee. It's scary how similarly they are laid out.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Regions? New York in many aspects (culture, finance, media) dominates the entire US and arguably the rest of the world. How can you compare a regional city like Chicago to the city with national and international standing like New York?

I understand your point about analogy but other than both being large and gaving skylines there is not many common points between New York and Chicago. I would suggest that people that post opinion about those comparison actually visit and read about both cities otherwise we get absurd comparison like Ottawa - Paris as both are capitals and dominate entire countries yet the cities do not have much in common in all other aspects.
Ugh, you obviously do not understand how an analogy works. Amazing.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default I only threw in Pittsburgh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown3pa View Post
Totally agree with your take on Pitt-Milweezy.

As far as comparing Cleveland with Pittsburgh, isn't that a little like cheating? I mean, we're taking the eastern-most midwest city and the western-most east coast city. They are so close, it would almost be like comparing Chicago and Milwaukee (if they were in different regions) and saying how similar they are. They would be expected to be similar, because of their proximity.

Just a thought.

By the way, has anyone else here been to both Chicago and Milwaukee. It's scary how similarly they are laid out.
..as an eastern city because I couldn't think of a midwestern alternative to Wash DC. I wanted to use only coastal cities, and stay within the Bos-Wash corridor, but it didn't work out.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland IS a close shave, though...

I really think that Milwaukee is very similar to Chicago, but on a smaller scale, and without some of the amenities, but they do have many physical similarities..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City