U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 7,689 times

Advertisements

hello! I am new to this forum so this is my first post. I am a college student and I have two options that I really want to consider about study abroad destinations. My school has one that goes to Annecy, France and you attend a language school and live with a french host family. This is appealing to me because I have seen pictures and Annecy is BEAUTIFUL. The other option is to go to London and attend Kingston University, I am a community college student and I would love to have the " college ecperience" at a real university. London is a mega huge city and has alot of things to see and do. however, for some reason I have a strong gut feeling that if I go to London something bad will happen to me. I don't know why but its just like intuition or something. but I still really want to go. which would you choose under the circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:26 AM

11,848 posts, read 32,811,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlilmiss View Post
hello! I am new to this forum so this is my first post. I am a college student and I have two options that I really want to consider about study abroad destinations. My school has one that goes to Annecy, France and you attend a language school and live with a french host family. This is appealing to me because I have seen pictures and Annecy is BEAUTIFUL. The other option is to go to London and attend Kingston University, I am a community college student and I would love to have the " college ecperience" at a real university. London is a mega huge city and has alot of things to see and do. however, for some reason I have a strong gut feeling that if I go to London something bad will happen to me. I don't know why but its just like intuition or something. but I still really want to go. which would you choose under the circumstances?
You are fortunate to have two wonderful cities from which to choose! Either choice is a good one to me.

But if I had to choose, I would choose Annecy. Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, but it's right smack in the middle of Western Europe. You're within an hour of Switzerland and Italy, and you're a quick train trip from Paris, the French Riviera, and Germany. I believe the TGV can get you from Annecy to Paris in just 2 hours.

Plus, your experience in Annecy will allow you to become fairly proficient in a foreign language.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,484,966 times
I doubt anything bad would happen to you in London. You'd likely be living in a nice, safe area with lots to do. With that said, do you want to really improve your French and live among a different culture? If so, go with Annecy. Like JMT has said, it's a gorgeous, small city that is not far from Switzerland, Germany, and Italy. I prefer France over Britain in general and want to improve my French, so I personally would go with Annecy.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM

69 posts, read 209,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I doubt anything bad would happen to you in London. You'd likely be living in a nice, safe area with lots to do. With that said, do you want to really improve your French and live among a different culture? If so, go with Annecy. Like JMT has said, it's a gorgeous, small city that is not far from Switzerland, Germany, and Italy. I prefer France over Britain in general and want to improve my French, so I personally would go with Annecy.
Hi! I'm from (very near) London btw.

It's so hard to help you out here, because it's a classic apples and oranges scenario. The two choices are so different from one another that you need to simply focus on what you want out of your time away from the USA and go with that. It's not about which city is better, but about your personal needs.

London: huge, cosmopolitan, very centre-of-the-world vibe, everything that is cool and everything that sucks about a very big city, but the English speak English!

Annecy: much, much smaller, cuter, more 'foreign', easier in some ways (less choice, less busy, less overwhelming) and you'd get a foreign language learned much more easily

But whatever you choose, I wanted to say that the chances of something terrible happening to you in London are really small. As very big cities go, London is safe. Also Kingston (both the college and the area) are really nice.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

14,211 posts, read 14,094,130 times
Kingston upon Thames is slightly outside of London proper and is quite an affluent area.

The University is a new one formed from the polytechnic in the early 1990s.

Although Kingston is just outside of London it is very busy.

I have visited Annecy only once and found it the most delightful place and I would love to go there again.

Given that you have concerns over safety, be they well founded or not, it suggests to me that you are more comfortable in a smaller city.

Speaking French all the time will be the best and quickest way to learn the language.

I would think that Annecy is more likely to engender a feeling of well being than Kingston, but the decision is obviously yours.

Best wishes in whatever you do.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,936,871 times
Wow, I'm jealous of you, what an awesome opportunity! Both choices sound wonderful but I think I'd go for France, living with a host family and learning a new language, just seems like you'd gain so much more from the deal! Good luck to you!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,689 times
Default I think London

I think I'll go to London because I really want to know what it would be like to live in a huge international cityl . I want to see the lights and the culture of London.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 PM

69 posts, read 209,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlilmiss View Post
I think I'll go to London because I really want to know what it would be like to live in a huge international cityl . I want to see the lights and the culture of London.
Ok, I'm always pleased when a visitor wants to come to London. Now I'm going to try to befuddle you!

The only thing I might suggest further is that the lights and culture of London will always be here for you, whereas maybe the Annecy experience of living with French hosts and learning the language may not be? You can fly to London non-stop from around 20 US cities any time you like in your adult life. Maybe the Annecy thing is a little more special and different. Just a thought I had...

If you choose London then you will be fine, though. As said above, Kingston is a nice place. It's in the south-west of Greater London, about 12 miles out, and is quieter and less frenzied than further into the city. You can easily get into town from there but living in Kingston doesn't have either the hoopla or the hassle of a more central place. Kingston is on the Thames and is a pleasant, green, pretty affluent, safe suburb with nice homes, great shopping, riverside pubs and a nightlife that is OK without being nuts. You're also close to both major airports and, if driving, not at all far from a huge number of lovely places south and west of the city.

Last edited by littleandoften; 04-14-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:24 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,126,893 times
Annecy.. all around beauty.

In london you're isolated from the rest of Europe where as in Annecy you're in car ride distance of Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Paris.
Annecy is beautiful from what i've seen in pictures, and i just feel like if you want to travel all over.. Annecy is the way to go.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM

11,848 posts, read 32,811,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleandoften View Post
Ok, I'm always pleased when a visitor wants to come to London. Now I'm going to try to befuddle you!

The only thing I might suggest further is that the lights and culture of London will always be here for you, whereas maybe the Annecy experience of living with French hosts and learning the language may not be? You can fly to London non-stop from around 20 US cities any time you like in your adult life. Maybe the Annecy thing is a little more special and different. Just a thought I had...
That is an excellent point!

While I would be ecstatic to have the kind of choice that sweetlilmiss has, I agree with you that at this point in her life Annecy might be a slightly better option only because it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be able to live in a gorgeous city in the French Alps as opposed to London which will be so easily accessible the rest of her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City