U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,789,402 times

Advertisements

Stop hating on Houston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,664,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Ok, well here is what stands out in Houston to me.
1)The bayous.. No other city incorporates into its urban fabric versus filling them in and building on top of them.
2)The landscape change from the Southside to the Northside and out to Southwest.. Houston sits on the corner of 3 different geographical region.
3)The variation in architecture and the contrast of old and new. I'm sure it's out there, but I have never seen it on the level as in Houston in cities I've visited.
4)The tunnels

None of this may be necessarily exciting, but it sets Houston apart from other places. The problem is that if you don't know what to look for then you won't look for it.
It's not just PR though. A lot of has to do with poor city planning and development as well. Take the bayous for example. BergenCountyJohnny had been here three time and he didn't seem to realize there where bayous running all through the city! And no has mentioned how lusciously green the city is and the wide verity of vegetation. All the climate here is very humid and oppressing, but one of the advantages of living in a sub-tropical climate is a lot of greenery and a verity of vegetation. What other city can you find palm trees and pinewood forest in the same city? Not to mention all the massive urban parks all over the city. In addition, Houston has been a "big" city sense the early 1900's and many of the buildings and neighborhoods reflect this. And yet everyone who visits the city seem to describe Houston as nothing but glass and steel. Why is it that no one who visit the city seems to notice these things? I think it's unfair to just dismiss it just a simple lack of observation. The city has done a very poor job of making these aspects of the Houston apparent to visitors. Most people that come here from out of state are going to arrive at IAH and drive downtown taking 45 or 59 and you have to admit, that's not the most attractive drive in Houston. None of the things me or any other of the Houston posters mentioned are apparent in that drive. The highways of Houston are really the gateways in and out of the cities and they're also the arteries of the city and yet most of the highways have the least scenic view of the city. Most tourist are not going to be driving down Westheimer, Alabama, or Montrose or through the Hieghts or the Museum District, or Glaveston or the Woodlands, so the view that most tourist see are not going to be very attractive. I've said this a ton of times that Houston has a lot of potential but the city has done very little to capitalize on it.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's not just PR though. A lot of has to do with poor city planning and development as well. Take the bayous for example. BergenCountyJohnny had been here three time and he didn't seem to realize there where bayous running all through the city! And no has mentioned how lusciously green the city is and the wide verity of vegetation. All the climate here is very humid and oppressing, but one of the advantages of living in a sub-tropical climate is a lot of greenery and a verity of vegetation. What other city can you find palm trees and pinewood forest in the same city? Not to mention all the massive urban parks all over the city. In addition, Houston has been a "big" city sense the early 1900's and many of the buildings and neighborhoods reflect this. And yet everyone who visits the city seem to describe Houston as nothing but glass and steel. Why is it that no one who visit the city seems to notice these things? I think it's unfair to just dismiss it just a simple lack of observation. The city has done a very poor job of making these aspects of the Houston apparent to visitors. Most people that come here from out of state are going to arrive at IAH and drive downtown taking 45 or 59 and you have to admit, that's not the most attractive drive in Houston. None of the things me or any other of the Houston posters mentioned are apparent in that drive. The highways of Houston are really the gateways in and out of the cities and they're also the arteries of the city and yet most of the highways have the least scenic view of the city. Most tourist are not going to be driving down Westheimer, Alabama, or Montrose or through the Hieghts or the Museum District, or Glaveston or the Woodlands, so the view that most tourist see are not going to be very attractive. I've said this a ton of times that Houston has a lot of potential but the city has done very little to capitalize on it.
I agree and I disagree.
The difference between Houston and any other city is that when visitors go to other cities they already know where they want to go or they already know that one thing that supposedly makes that city special. When people fly into Atlanta they have a 15 min. drive through pine trees before they get downtown. When people get to New Orleans they have to traverse NOLA's ghetto version of suburbia. This doesn't really take away from bigger picture since the people in those two places already know where they want to go and will probably not be looking for something to do along the freeway on the ride in.

I blame Houston's lack of promotion and the visitor's dependency on that promotion.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,139,411 times
Quote:
4)The tunnels
Yes, perhaps the Houston Tunnels could be added to my below previous list; it's been said this is why you often don't see the streets in downtown Houston crawling with people, especially in the hottest weather... they're in the tunnels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
ArtCar Museum
The Health Museum
Inversion Coffee House
The Beer Can House
National Museum of Funeral History (http://www.nmfh.org/exhibits/fantasy/index.html - broken link)
Bayou Bend Collection & Gardens (http://www.mfah.org/bayoubend/garden.asp?par1=1&par2=1&par3=1&par4=1&par5=1&par6 =1&par7=&currentPage= - broken link)
Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum (http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default/museumpages/museumpage.asp?mid=15&id=122 - broken link)
The Rothko Chapel (http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org/default/museumpages/museumpage.asp?mid=14&id=136 - broken link)
Presidential Statues, Beatles Statues by Adickes SculpturWorx
Bayou City Art Festival
iFest Houston
Waterwall
George Ranch Historical Park; More than 100 years of Texas History

As far as the question on if there was something unique in Houston such as the green neon in Dallas... yes. Heritage Plaza was inspired by the architect's time in the Yucatan region of Mexico... notice how the top and bottom resemble a Mayan pyramid.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,210,681 times
A 15 minute drive through pine trees from the airport in Atlanta? I think you're mistaken.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A 15 minute drive through pine trees from the airport in Atlanta? I think you're mistaken.
What else is on 75/85 from Jackson-Hartsfield to Turner Field?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOVQv85moWY

Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM

631 posts, read 1,073,934 times
Quote:

Houses, Condos Stores Hotels Atlanta metropolitan College and Atlanta Tech College these are just a few you can see all of them when you are sitting in your Car driving.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Houses, Condos Stores Hotels Atlanta metropolitan College and Atlanta Tech College these are just a few you can see all of them when you are sitting in your Car driving.
Everything that you mentioned is behind trees are down/up a hill from the highway. I know the video isn't the best view, but be real. The trees literally come to the shoulder of the freeway. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

this is the drive to Houston's airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6br-ywQ1Xg

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,210,681 times
These things are NOT behind the trees. Trust me. But I'm sure you want to think you're correct, so go ahead...I care not.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,664,208 times
Quote:

wow! I didn't realize how much Houston and Atlanta looked a like. This drive looks very similar to Houston's highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City