Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I agree, Houston could have a better downtown in more in line with Chicago. Though Houston is the capitol city of the southern states.
The truth is finally spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM

840 posts, read 2,075,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I agree, Houston could have a better downtown in more in line with Chicago. Though Houston is the capitol city of the southern states.
I dont think Houston is the Capitol of anything arbitrary like the southern states or Sunbelt.

Capital of the South (Which is really the Southeast) is Atlanta

And the Capitol of the Sunbelt, IMO would be Dallas because of its Central location in the Sunbelt between the East and West coasts

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I dont think Houston is the Capitol of anything arbitrary like the southern states or Sunbelt.

Capital of the South (Which is really the Southeast) is Atlanta

And the Capitol of the Sunbelt, IMO would be Dallas because of its Central location in the Sunbelt between the East and West coasts
Atlanta like Miami would be a runner up but in no way would I say its a capitol city of the southern states over Houston. All are nice cities though, well to a extent... each high in crime etc...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,394,007 times
A few shots from boring ol' Houston.

Hermann Park. On the other side of the Sam Houston statue is a roundabout with the...

...Mecom Fountain. No one picture could put it all together but I could not mistake this spot for any other city. That's because it's not just one thing. It's everything. You either get it or you don't, and not getting it is perfectly OK.

Some more lifeless, bland shots.

The aforementioned Water Wall.

Main Street Square by day....

...and by night...

The biggest problem is most people don't know this exists, even among some Houstonians, and thus you don't have the tourist foot traffic you'd have in the other places commonly mentioned. Although, depending on who you ask, that might not be a bad thing. Our economy hums along pretty well without it, but then again it's the "it" that everyone's looking for. Whichever.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,977,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
A few shots from boring ol' Houston.

Hermann Park. On the other side of the Sam Houston statue is a roundabout with the...

...Mecom Fountain. No one picture could put it all together but I could not mistake this spot for any other city. That's because it's not just one thing. It's everything. You either get it or you don't, and not getting it is perfectly OK.

Some more lifeless, bland shots.

The aforementioned Water Wall.

Main Street Square by day....

...and by night...

The biggest problem is most people don't know this exists, even among some Houstonians, and thus you don't have the tourist foot traffic you'd have in the other places commonly mentioned. Although, depending on who you ask, that might not be a bad thing. Our economy hums along pretty well without it, but then again it's the "it" that everyone's looking for. Whichever.
I think that is because it is mostly ONE area of Houston as the light rail there is VERY, VERY short!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think that is because it is mostly ONE area of Houston as the light rail there is VERY, VERY short!
And expansion is under way.

NYC's subway system started with one short line too.

That said, there is a lot you can get to on it. It's not where it begins and ends necessarily, but what's in between.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
And expansion is under way.

NYC's subway system started with one short line too.

That said, there is a lot you can get to on it. It's not where it begins and ends necessarily, but what's in between.
I understand that, but in comparison to the first line in Phoenix, it is more than 3 times shorter and older...there are expansions underway in Phoenix as well but you can already get to three different cities' urban centers and too many high density areas to list (including things for daily urban living like; universities, grocery stores, shopping districts, the airport, arenas, stadiums, museums, suburbs, hospitals (more than one), etc...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
(including things for daily urban living like; universities, grocery stores, shopping districts, the airport, arenas, stadiums, museums, suburbs, hospitals (more than one), etc...
You can do that with the one short line here, well, minus the airport, but there is an airport connector service from one of the rail stops.

Do I need to put a list together?

And "high density?" You live in Phoenix and you imply Houston is low density, or relatively speaking? I'll accept that from someone from NYC or San Francisco or Chicago but...

There are some comedy clubs here with open mic night, you should check them out.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You can do that with the one short line here, well, minus the airport, but there is an airport connector service from one of the rail stops.

Do I need to put a list together?

And "high density?" You live in Phoenix and you imply Houston is low density, or relatively speaking? I'll accept that from someone from NYC or San Francisco or Chicago but...

There are some comedy clubs here with open mic night, you should check them out.
You should check out the "most sprawling cities" thread to check the Phoenix ranking for actual density and sprawl.

Yes, Phoenix is much more dense than Houston, thus a much longer and more used light rail initial starter line...Tempe (a city the Phoenix light rail line connects to) is one of the most dense areas in the west coast; specifically because of the universities but really because of the make up of the neighborhoods.

And I've been to Houston; it doesn't connect nearly enough to be considered a long enough urban mass nor is living off the light rail line there feasible...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
You should check out the "most sprawling cities" thread to check the Phoenix ranking for actual density and sprawl.

Yes, Phoenix is much more dense than Houston, thus a much longer and more used light rail initial starter line...Tempe (a city the Phoenix light rail line connects to) is one of the most dense areas in the west coast; specifically because of the universities but really because of the make up of the neighborhoods.

And I've been to Houston; it doesn't connect nearly enough to be considered a long enough urban mass nor is living off the light rail line there feasible...

Phoenix is not much more dense than Houston. They are about even and plus Houston has a larger population area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City