Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
that part in bold sounds about right, but downtown Houston is most certainly NOT the most dense part of town. I'm not sure what is, but maybe one of the other Houston residence can help you out.

Another thing, when your comparing the densest part Phoenix to the densest part Houston, you really can't include the whole 610 Loop. The entire eastern half of the Loop isn't NEARLY as dense and it really dilutes the numbers.
That is what I was looking at. There is no significant downtown Houston population. The densest part of Houston is only about 3,000-4,000 people/square mile less dense than that of Phoenix' which IS the Grafton area...with 14,590 people/square mile...yes, the diluting factor occurs in both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

And more; it is more populous by about 10,000-12,000 (Physical downtown population); this is assuming that what I am reading about downtown Houston is correct and that the population there is only 2,000-3,500...
You can compare almost any major city's downtown to Houston, and them having a larger population in their DT means nothing, since Houston's DT population low anyways.

Uptown Houston has a larger resedential population, I'm sure the majority of people living in high-rises in Houston is in Uptown, in contrast to most other major cities in the US.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
At the beginning, LOL. It was an honest mistake. I am being told how I looked at the numbers incorrectly. Five square miles was taken from the study and from the census.gov reports on census tracts from the 2000 and 2005 mid-census review. Sorry dad! I admit to being wrong, but I wasn't false in that Phoenix is STILL more dense than Houston (just not by leaps and bounds) which is supported by all the evidence posted.
I think it's questionable that the densest neighborhoods in Phoenix are strikingly denser (or even denser at all) than the densest in Houston are (and with that, I'm citing actual US Census Bureau numbers (which is what's listed on city-data)). However, I think there's a good argument that Phoenix sustains its density better in its sprawl through its smaller lots.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Answer the questions. Either you're willfully lying or you really just misread the study.

Did you do the density calculations yourself?

Where in the study is this 5 square mile area for Central Phoenix?

You don't need a friend to read this over. You're not a kid getting his homework checked. Go through the study and look at what I've detailed for you. It's very simple.
Again, I was reading "census tracts" (which list per square mile densities) as physical square miles...easy mistake since the information isn't given to you. You just have to know a census tract can be a small area of an actual square mile of a city. The study was only for 1995 numbers, I am looking at the census study and the 2005 report which isn't a part of the linked study.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I think it's questionable that the densest neighborhoods in Phoenix are strikingly denser (or even denser at all) than the densest in Houston are (and with that, I'm citing actual US Census Bureau numbers (which is what's listed on city-data)). However, I think there's a good argument that Phoenix sustains its density better in its sprawl through its smaller lots.
True, but that isn't what I was arguing, LOL! I don't care about the suburbs at this point of the conversation. That is a totally different conversation, but it would be true.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
That is what I was looking at. There is no significant downtown Houston population. The densest part of Houston is only about 3,000-4,000 people/square mile less dense than that of Phoenix' which IS the Grafton area...with 14,590 people/square mile...
Dude you need to work on your reading comprehension. I said, downtown is NOT the densest part of Houston! It's mostly just office buildings and parking lots. That's why downtown Houston seems so dead at night. Like I said, you would have to look at uptown and the western part of the 610 Loop. If your going to compare the densest parts of each city, you really should do a bit of research about Houston (or just listen to the people that LIVE here and are trying help you make a more accurate comparison) instead of just making assumptions.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
You can compare almost any major city's downtown to Houston, and them having a larger population in their DT means nothing, since Houston's DT population low anyways.

Uptown Houston has a larger resedential population, I'm sure the majority of people living in high-rises in Houston is in Uptown, in contrast to most other major cities in the US.
What is the population of uptown and the square mileage. I won't make anymore ASSumptions!

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-02-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Dude you need to work on your reading comprehension. I said, downtown is NOT the densest part of Houston! It's mostly just office buildings and parking lots. That's why downtown Houston seems so dead at night. Like I said, you would have to look at uptown and the western part of the 610 Loop. If your going to compare the densest parts of each city, you really should do a bit of research about Houston (or just listen to the people that LIVE here and are trying help you make a more accurate comparison) instead of just making assumptions.
Dude, Grafton isn't downtown...which is Houston's densest area.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Strikingly, no, that was my confusion...there is an area of Houston with close density, and it is not downtown. Something I was looking at for density but wasn't where I should have been...(another admittance, what I said after post 270-277 was inaccurate and miscalculated by me). In post, 270, I said 20,000-30,000 per square mile! Strike that! 30,000 WAS WAY OFF!!!

I was a complete idiot in those post and didn't mean to take it out on "ya'll."

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-02-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
LOL, then they are the same.

I'll maintain that for Sun Belt Cities, Phoenix is more dense; compared nationally and to other large cities, Houston and Phoenix would be lumped together anyhow.

However, relatively speaking (and even psychically) one can tell the difference in denser housing in urban districts in downtown and central Phoenix compared to Houston.
You have to take into account skyscrapers. Skyscrapers can help with a cities urbanity. Houston has a GREAT amount of skyscrapers as compared to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City