U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,491,138 times
Reputation: 5656

Advertisements

Personally ... I don't like the south (outside) of those cities...

And, my problem with the cities is strictly urban planning.

It is more of a, I wish all the ignorance and stuff would go away... but I know it isn't and don't try to play it off like it is. It is cultural, to be sure.

I strongly favor the arts and sciences, but don't think the South embraces this like other regions of the country outside a few campuses and cities.

The religious history, racial divides and anti academic anti science populism are still too encompassing in the culture and frankly, out in the open for me to stay when I have a choice to live elsewhere. Things that would not fly up north, are perfectly acceptable conversation amongst peers in the south.

Am I going to have the same opportunities in the south? Am I going to fit in as much in the south? Am I going to enjoy the norm social activities in the south? Am I going to make the same amount of friends with same views in the south? Am I going to get along in the office as well in the south? These are serious questions to deal with and the answer to them for me personally on all accounts is a strong NO because I have experienced life outside of it, in other countries, etc. I know for certain the cultural norms and way of life are a sharp contrast elsewhere. Just visiting another region will not suffice I am afraid, and I know a lot of my peers in the south just assume that is how things work in the rest of the country. You have to live and work there and actually experience the day to day culture on a long term (several months minimum to be sure) to actually start picking up the differences. Otherwise you will either have latent culture shock, or keep your own culture while there (denial) and not assimilate. You have to go through full assimilation, or denial. People who have LIVED in other countries I am sure know what I am talking about... but this also happens from region to region within the u.s., it is just less obvious.

Sure things are different in the major cities, but why do I want to live in a bubble, I want to be able to travel around a region and actually enjoy it. I personally just don't enjoy it.

Last edited by grapico; 04-17-2009 at 09:11 AM..

 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,122,985 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Personally ... I don't like the south (outside) of those cities...

And, my problem with the cities is strictly urban planning.

It is more of a, I wish all the ignorance and stuff would go away... but I know it isn't and don't try to play it off like it is. It is cultural, to be sure.

I strongly favor the arts and sciences, but don't think the South embraces this like other regions of the country outside a few campuses and cities.

The religious history, racial divides and anti academic anti science populism are still too encompassing in the culture and frankly, out in the open for me to stay when I have a choice to live elsewhere. Things that would not fly up north, are perfectly acceptable conversation amongst peers in the south.

Am I going to have the same opportunities in the south? Am I going to fit in as much in the south? Am I going to enjoy the norm social activities in the south? Am I going to make the same amount of friends with same views in the south? Am I going to get along in the office as well in the south? These are serious questions to deal with and the answer to them for me personally on all accounts is a strong NO because I have experienced life outside of it, in other countries, etc. I know for certain the cultural norms and way of life are a sharp contrast elsewhere. Just visiting another region will not suffice I am afraid, and I know a lot of my peers in the south just assume that is how things work in the rest of the country. You have to live and work there and actually experience the day to day culture on a long term (several months minimum to be sure) to actually start picking up the differences. Otherwise you will either have latent culture shock, or keep your own culture while there (denial) and not assimilate. You have to go through full assimilation, or denial. People who have LIVED in other countries I am sure know what I am talking about... but this also happens from region to region within the u.s., it is just less obvious.

Sure things are different in the major cities, but why do I want to live in a bubble, I want to be able to travel around a region and actually enjoy it. I personally just don't enjoy it.
Racial divides?? Because we all know there are no racists in the north.
I said this in another thread...my dad is from BROOKLYN and he says it himself it is more racist up there than it is down here. And I felt that same vibe when I visited. I couldn't walk into a store without the guy at the cash register eyeing me...like i'm about to commit some crime for the simple fact that I am tall and black.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,491,138 times
Reputation: 5656
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Racial divides?? Because we all know there are no racists in the north.
I said this in another thread...my dad is from BROOKLYN and he says it himself it is more racist up there than it is down here. And I felt that same vibe when I visited. I couldn't walk into a store without the guy at the cash register eyeing me...like i'm about to commit some crime for the simple fact that I am tall and black.
How come any comments on the south about race on this board have to be turned into some homer defense by appeal to motive or cherry picking...
Again, racism is everywhere, but imho it is clearly more out in the open in the south and there are different social norms on what can and can not be said in the regions.
There is nothing more clear I can get this to besides actually doing research that has already been done, it isn't simply anecdotal evidence, and if 20+ years of anecdotal evidence have came to the same conclusion I must just be stupid as well as my girlfriend and all of my friends who have experienced and noticed the same things. People from one region just don't notice the differences as much because they aren't looking for them and see it as normal. They are already assimilated into that culture. The people from big city north living in small town south are the minority posters and highly correlate with the exact same opinions, not the other way around with people from there saying "oh it isn't so." I was just having this conversation with my professor today who has a PhD in philosophy of gender and he also agrees with me...if you don't get the concept or differences, you just don't get it and that is subjective to what is in your head, it doesn't mean they aren't there. The end.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 46,582,918 times
Reputation: 45995
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How come any comments on the south about race on this board have to be turn into some homer defense by appeal to motive or cherry picking...
Again, racism is everywhere, but imho it is clearly more out in the open in the south and there are different social norms on what can and can not be said in the regions.
There is nothing more clear I can get it besides actually doing research that has already been done, it isn't simply anecdotal evidence, and if 20+ years of anecdotal evidence have came to the same conclusion I must just be stupid as well as my girlfriend and all of my friends who have experienced and noticed the same things. People from one region just don't notice the differences as much because they aren't looking for them and see it as normal. They are already assimilated into that culture. The people from big city north living in small town south are the minority posters and highly correlate with the exact same opinions, not the other way around with people from there saying "oh it isn't so." The end.
Hold the phone. A black guy simply says, "You know, it just isn't that way," and you say, "Gosh, what would you know? You're just being a homer. You have no idea what racism is like." Isn't that a bit patronizing of you? Don't you think he would know?
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,122,985 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How come any comments on the south about race on this board have to be turn into some homer defense by appeal to motive or cherry picking...
Again, racism is everywhere, but imho it is clearly more out in the open in the south and there are different social norms on what can and can not be said in the regions.
There is nothing more clear I can get it besides actually doing research that has already been done, it isn't simply anecdotal evidence, and if 20+ years of anecdotal evidence have came to the same conclusion I must just be stupid as well as my girlfriend and all of my friends who have experienced and noticed the same things. People from one region just don't notice the differences as much because they aren't looking for them and see it as normal. They are already assimilated into that culture. The people from big city north living in small town south are the minority posters and highly correlate with the exact same opinions, not the other way around with people from there saying "oh it isn't so." The end.
What do you mean aren't looking for it and see it as normal? You are talking to a BLACK DEMOCRAT IN TEXAS!! If anyone is looking out for that bull**** I am. Yes there is racism all over, including the south. It will always be here unfortunately and it always will. Maybe you should search the name Sean Bell.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 46,582,918 times
Reputation: 45995
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What do you mean aren't looking for it and see it as normal? You are talking to a BLACK DEMOCRAT IN TEXAS!! If anyone is looking out for that bull**** I am. Yes there is racism all over, including the south. It will always be here unfortunately and it always will. Maybe you should search the name Sean Bell.
I know. Kind of arrogant isn't he?
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,122,985 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
people from the north are the agressor. LOL

who started the thread that we are currently posting in?

who started this thread?
Question for Northerners

who started this thread?
South vs North

if people from the south would stop creating threads comparing the two then maybe the attacks both ways would stop
The op of that second thread was just trying to start good discussion. He didn't say anything remotely controversial. It is the northerners who turned it into a mud slinging contest.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,491,138 times
Reputation: 5656
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What do you mean aren't looking for it and see it as normal? You are talking to a BLACK DEMOCRAT IN TEXAS!! If anyone is looking out for that bull**** I am. Yes there is racism all over, including the south. It will always be here unfortunately and it always will. Maybe you should search the name Sean Bell.
So your anecdotal evidence is better than mine, then? I think you agree with me but don't want to defer that the south is worse in this context, through quantifiable evidence, as well as historical evidence. I was under no assumption of what race you are, nor, you should be under no assumption of what race I am. Correct?
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,122,985 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So your anecdotal evidence is better than mine, then? I think you agree with me but don't want to defer that the south is worse in this context, through quantifiable evidence, as well as historical evidence. I was under no assumption of what race you are, nor, you should be under no assumption of what race I am. Correct?
Considering I have mentioned that I am black multiple times now I thought that you already knew.
 
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,122,985 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I know. Kind of arrogant isn't he?
He should be very blissful to say the least. Along with NYC1DAY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top