Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm not following; is this a judgment? Is the average Southerner inferior because he/she places a higher value on religion?
No I'm just pointing out that learning the religion of the region isn't a prerequisite to learning and/or experiencing the culture.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
I Think the only people who hate the South are the Ignorant people from the North.Not Much hatred from the West!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:13 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm well traveled and could give a crap less about christian, muslim, or whatever religion it is in those cultures, yet I've still immersed myself in the culture... The south is way more tied to their culture religion wise than the rest of the u.s. and europe... u.s. is WAY more religious than the countries of europe
For instance, my high school reunion is planning to have several church services in between the 3 day reunion events, def not going to that stuff, nor the reunion. I went to a public non religious h.s.
Yeah, I guess when talking about Europe, Japan or any other secularized nation, religion is not a big part of the culture, but in places like the Middle East, Latin America, and India, knowing the religion is a big part of knowing the culture and why people are the way they are.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Yeah, I guess when talking about Europe, Japan or any other secularized nation, religion is not a big part of the culture, but in places like the Middle East, Latin America, and India, knowing the religion is a big part of knowing the culture and why people are the way they are.
I would agree that religion informs much of the world's culture, customs and law.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Cool, we are seeing eye to eye then.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM

136 posts, read 266,972 times
South is an easy target. What can I say?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
NYC1DAY:

. . . move to hunstville alabama or anywhere else in the DEEP south and tell me how you like it [quote]

NYC1DAY:

do you southerners realize how ignorant you sound?

how can anyone with common sense not think that alabama would be filled with rednecks? [quote]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx

A sampling of a few rednecky activities available for your enjoyment in Huntsville, AL:

Git edjumicated:

UAHuntsville: The University of Alabama in Huntsville

UAHuntsville Engineering

Technology fair (one a' many, though Ah knows that there's hard t' b'lieve in good ol' rednecky Alabamey):

Northwest Regional ACTE

Chirren's science museum:

Sci-Quest Science Center in Huntsville, Alabama - Things to Do in Huntsville, Alabama - Associated Content

http://www.sci-quest.org/home/ (broken link)

Annual music festival (various styles a' music . . . sometimes even jazz an' them cuhl'rded kinds a' music lahk that):

Big Spring Jam XVI

2006 Big Spring Jam Photos - Alabama Music Festival Pictures - Huntsville AL Photos

U.S. Rocket & Space Center:

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv8788.php

Ice hockey (Yahks! A Yankee sport 'n Alabamey . . . lawdamercy whut's this world a'comin' to?):

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc41004.php

An', b'lieve it 'r not, they got some a' that sissy kinda stuff too . . .

Theater (Theatre Huntsville's outdoor Shakespeare production on the schedule for this summer, yessirree):

Theatre Huntsville Home

Home

Ballet:

Community Ballet Association - Huntsville Alabama

Ice show:

http://huntsville.about.com/od/photo...ceshow05_2.htm

Art:

Huntsville Museum of Art

Opera:

Huntsville welcomes opera legend Marilyn Horne Video - al.com

Botanical garden:

Huntsville Botanical Garden

Wild animal preserve (one a' them newfangled zoos wh'r' th' animals lives raht outsahd, not even in cages n'r nuthin'):

Harmony Park Safari - Wild Animal Preserve - Part I

Top it off with a cuppa jo (one a' quite a few coffee shops in Huntsville, though, lahk the havin' lots a' technooloogy fairs, Ah knows it's hard t' b'lieve):

http://www.stearnscoffee.com/

Sheesh! What a backward place! Wouldn't want to get within 1,000 miles of that uncultured redneckville, where they obviously have no appreciation for the finer things.

Final note: I'm from Massachusetts, so, all you South-bashers on here, please spare me the "defensive Southerners" remarks.

Last edited by ogre; 04-20-2009 at 12:22 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
You can find people who appreciate art and culture in every place, just like you can find uncultured people in every place. The key is ratios. And not all areas have the same ratios.

For example, do you think the ratio of theater goers is the same in Huntsville as it is in Minneapolis? Is literacy the same? That doesn't mean that everyone in Huntsville is an uneducated philistine, but it means if these are things you value, the choice is clear.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
I Think the only people who hate the South are the Ignorant people from the North.Not Much hatred from the West!
Very true, although there are a few notable ignorant northerners that take it to an extreme while the others are not that bad and actually give reasons why they don't care for it.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
South is an easy target. What can I say?
See, this proves my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City