U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...but , especially the medicine angle; Boston could easily be ranked #1.

New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Houston and Atlanta within the top 10 as cultural capitals? Come on, now...at most, you could only choose one of these. Infatuation with southern cities only gets you so far.

The original poster just wanted to get some opinions regarding the 5 most influential, well-rounded cities in the nation which have the most impact in a national sense. Most, if not all the postings have NYC, LA, DC and Chicago in their listings; the 5th choice varies a bit from person to person. I don't think this"survey" is too baffling to anyone, and it's certainly not "lunacy" to try to get a consensus; why not?
Are those southern cities not cultural? What determines what's cultural and whats not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,369 times
Quote:
...but , especially the medicine angle; Boston could easily be ranked #1.
Uh... no: Welcome to the Texas Medical Center. This really isn't debateable. Houston is unparalled in this regard, and this isn't simple-minded cheerleading homerism. Boston is imporatant, and a leader in a great many things, and it is even important in medicine, but nothing tops the TMC in Houston. Bless your misguided heart if you truly believe that.

Quote:
New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Houston and Atlanta within the top 10 as cultural capitals? Come on, now...at most, you could only choose one of these. Infatuation with southern cities only gets you so far.
Really, and how do you define culture? Jazz, blues, country music, gospel and hip-hop don't qualify to you? Mine isn't an infatuation with southern culture. I do defend the South, but only from ignorance. If you read through my old posts, you'll find I'm one of the most even-handed posters here, never stooping to attack any region to make the South seem better. I do, on occassion, lose focus and direct my defenses at the attackers, but there's only so much abject and depraved ignorance a person can stand to be levelled at their home.

Learn the meaning of culture and get back with me.

Quote:
The original poster just wanted to get some opinions regarding the 5 most influential, well-rounded cities in the nation which have the most impact in a national sense. Most, if not all the postings have NYC, LA, DC and Chicago in their listings; the 5th choice varies a bit from person to person. I don't think this"survey" is too baffling to anyone, and it's certainly not "lunacy" to try to get a consensus; why not?
An attempt at consensus on City-Data isn't lunacy? You must be new here.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Uh... no: Welcome to the Texas Medical Center. This really isn't debateable. Houston is unparalled in this regard, and this isn't simple-minded cheerleading homerism. Boston is imporatant, and a leader in a great many things, and it is even important in medicine, but nothing tops the TMC in Houston. Bless your misguided heart if you truly believe that.

Really, and how do you define culture? Jazz, blues, country music, gospel and hip-hop don't qualify to you? Mine isn't an infatuation with southern culture. I do defend the South, but only from ignorance. If you read through my old posts, you'll find I'm one of the most even-handed posters here, never stooping to attack any region to make the South seem better. I do, on occassion, lose focus and direct my defenses at the attackers, but there's only so much abject and depraved ignorance a person can stand to be levelled at their home.

You're pretty new here too.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,092,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're pretty new here too.
Way to read the subtext, Rachael. Way to go.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 PM

7,592 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Default I don't pretend to be Boston's biggest booster..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post

..because I'm not, but Boston has it over Houston in medicine. Texas Medical Center?

Try Massachusetts General Hospital( MGH), Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH), both annually ranked in the top 20 hospitals in the US; also say "hello" to Harvard Medical School, Dental, and Public Health Schools, the oldest Children's Hospital in the nation (attached to BWH), Massachusetts School of Pharmacy, the internationally-renowned Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, The Joslyn Diabetes Center, the New England Medical Center in Chinatown, etc, etc. I also know because I've worked in these institutions for over 20 years. To say that Houston has it over Boston is nothing short of ridiculous.

To choose Memphis and Houston as cultural capitals, after you've already chosen Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans as well, is more than a little one-sided.If I ask anyone on the street about Houston's cultural contribution to the nation, I bet I'll get a blank stare in response, and I have no ax to grind against Houston.And Memphis..really? As a source of barbecue?If you choose Atlanta for gospel music, you can't throw Memphis into that category, too..
If I want to listen to the blues, Chicago will do just fine.

You can get back to me when you can look over the Mason-Dixon line. If you think a reasonable query, like the OP presented here, is lunacy, then just don't answer, and go on to something else.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM

I agree. As far as medical facilities, I think Boston, NY are in the top 2.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,242 times
Quote:
I agree. As far as medical facilities, I think Boston, NY are in the top 2.
A recent poll on here showed otherwise

Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM

A poll on a message board doesn't prove anything...lol.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
..because I'm not, but Boston has it over Houston in medicine. Texas Medical Center?

Try Massachusetts General Hospital( MGH), Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH), both annually ranked in the top 20 hospitals in the US; also say "hello" to Harvard Medical School, Dental, and Public Health Schools, the oldest Children's Hospital in the nation (attached to BWH), Massachusetts School of Pharmacy, the internationally-renowned Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, The Joslyn Diabetes Center, the New England Medical Center in Chinatown, etc, etc. I also know because I've worked in these institutions for over 20 years. To say that Houston has it over Boston is nothing short of ridiculous.

To choose Memphis and Houston as cultural capitals, after you've already chosen Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans as well, is more than a little one-sided.If I ask anyone on the street about Houston's cultural contribution to the nation, I bet I'll get a blank stare in response, and I have no ax to grind against Houston.And Memphis..really? As a source of barbecue?If you choose Atlanta for gospel music, you can't throw Memphis into that category, too..
If I want to listen to the blues, Chicago will do just fine.

You can get back to me when you can look over the Mason-Dixon line. If you think a reasonable query, like the OP presented here, is lunacy, then just don't answer, and go on to something else.
But once again, what determines what's cultural and what isn't cultural. Is the liberty bell, plymouth rock, statue of liberty, the only culture of he US? What is culture in YOUR eyes may not be the same culture in the eyes of others? So what is cultural to YOU my friend?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
A poll on a message board doesn't prove anything...lol.
You just proved TexasKids point, about how hard it is to determine what's important and what isn't on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or