U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Many things but I think above all else, the attention that the Bay Area gets.

Especially considering a few interesting facts.
1. San Francisco is only 47 sq miles. But it packs a whallop as a place to visit and a place to live. A true international destination that has retained its stature, charm and identity as many other larger and US older cities have faltered and declined in their influence and ability to attact talent from around the world. Often compared to NY and Chicago as far as ubran vitality. Many folks elsewhere resent SF being grouped with those 2.

2. The 5-10 Million population group of CSAs is very competitive bunch. It takes a lot to stand out but if you think about it. As far as Economic, Cultural and Social Impact, its much easier to make the case for Chicago, DC and SF to round out a Top 5 than it would be to explain the others being in the Top 5.
It is hard for many americans to grasp quality > quantity. I also didn't group SF as that important or substantial in my head until living in the area for 3 months...the city can easily be placed lower just looking at pop data or city size or the skyline... Now I am moving out there...quite impressive region. Lots of very smart and extraordinary people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 04:04 PM

32,345 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I won't argue against SF being no.5 but a couple of earlier posts listed it's cultural contributions as being a reason why it is important.

Some people just need some examples of this.
What worthwhile cultural sea-changes trace their origins to SF.

What people has SF produced who have really impacted America?
List of people associated with San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as movements,
San Francisco was the beginning of mass populating of the American West.

The Gold Rush, which attracted people from all over the world seemingly overnight, created an instant international city and perhaps the only city that was always a major city. SF was the de Facto of the Gold Rush, which was felt around the world.

Which led to the creation of the very first and for a long time, the largest chinese and asian community outside of Asia. Any Asians where you live? Migration from that entire part of the world began in San Francisco and spread elsewhere.

Also during the gold rush, something else was invented in San Francisco by a man named Levi Strauss. He invented Denim Jeans. Ever owned a pair of those? Did jeans affect fashion overall. You tell me?

The Gold Rush made a household name of another SF company, Wells Fargo. Speaking of banks, after the Earthquake of 1906, AP Giannini, an Italian Immigrant set up a table in the damage area and started loaning money to people to help them rebuild their lives. His makeshift operation later became Bank of America. Ever heard of Wells Fargo and Bank of America?

And all of this is before 1910. Trust more when I say that the events since 1910 are far more interesting. Suffice it to say that to say SF has made no real impact on society is really saying that NY, LA and Chicago also have made no real contribution either.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
List of people associated with San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as movements,
San Francisco was the beginning of mass populating of the American West.

The Gold Rush, which attracted people from all over the world seemingly overnight, created an instant international city and perhaps the only city that was always a major city. SF was the de Facto of the Gold Rush, which was felt around the world.

Which led to the creation of the very first and for a long time, the largest chinese and asian community outside of Asia. Any Asians where you live? Migration from that entire part of the world began in San Francisco and spread elsewhere.

Also during the gold rush, something else was invented in San Francisco by a man named Levi Strauss. He invented Denim Jeans. Ever owned a pair of those? Did jeans affect fashion overall. You tell me?

The Gold Rush made a household name of another SF company, Wells Fargo. Speaking of banks, after the Earthquake of 1906, AP Giannini, an Italian Immigrant set up a table in the damage area and started loaning money to people to help them rebuild their lives. His makeshift operation later became Bank of America. Ever heard of Wells Fargo and Bank of America?

And all of this is before 1910. Trust more when I say that the events since 1910 are far more interesting. Suffice it to say that to say SF has made no real impact on society is really saying that NY, LA and Chicago also have made no real contribution either.
Awesome post, people really forgot about all these things that GREATLY influenced America. People just thought of SF as hippies, and weed smoking, but this list proves that SF had just as much of a HUGE cultural impact on America as NY, Chi and anyother of the top5 cities did.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,136,377 times
I know SF is a very unique, beautiful place... probably one of the most beautiful major city in the country at that, but when it comes to IMPORTANCE, it's not in the top 5 IMO.

Stunning and "Very Important" is a hard mixture to get.

Leave it to the bay fans/residents to make it seem the Bay area has it all
Beauty, uniqueness, low crime, diverse, and VERY IMPORTANT ? sorry, I would think 4 out of the 5 would be good enough.

NYC, DC, LA, Houston, and Chicago are all more important on a national scale IMO.. To have SF in that mix would seem strange.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM

32,345 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I know SF is a very unique, beautiful place... probably one of the most beautiful major city in the country at that, but when it comes to IMPORTANCE, it's not in the top 5 IMO.

Stunning and "Very Important" is a hard mixture to get.
Yet the Bay Area really mixes both quite effortlessly.

The fact is, despite being pretty, the Bay Area has more fortune 500 companies than anywhere except NY and Chi.

The fact is, despite our sweeping vistas, the Bay Area is 2nd only to Greater NYC as far as the number of publically traded companies with revenues exceeding $1 Billion or more annually.

The fact is, despite being a tourists paradise, the Bay Area is by far the most inventive region in the United States.

Quote:
Leave it to the bay fans/residents to make it seem the Bay area has it all
I have yet to read any reason other than thinly veiled envy as to why the Bay Area shouldnt be in the Top 5. I mean really.

Quote:
Beauty, uniqueness, low crime, diverse, and VERY IMPORTANT ? sorry, I would think 4 out of the 5 would be good enough.
We dont have low crime.

Quote:
NYC, DC, LA, Houston, and Chicago are all more important on a national scale IMO.. To have SF in that mix would seem strange.
The Bay Area is 3rd to NY and LA as far as foreign born residents, has an economy that is $130 Billion bigger than Houston's, has more F500s companies and F1000 Companies than LA and DC, and has no peer as far as innovation-no peer in this country, or any other.

Quote:
Sorry, but the Bay Area's technology sector alone, which tops its industry on a worldwide scale, is reason alone to include it.
Then neither does Chicago's finance or Houston's energy or LAs entertainment. Sorry.

btw, the Bay Area is home to a bigger bank than any based in Chicago and a bigger oil company than any based in Houston.

But if you want to focus on technology, our technology touches peoples lives just as much if not more so than the industries that define the above mentioned 3.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM

11,731 posts, read 8,301,535 times
It's funny how the whallop packing 47 square mile San Francisco suddenly becomes the 7,000 square mile Bay Area when it's importance is threatened.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 AM

105 posts, read 333,544 times
How can you not say hippies, beatniks, the internet, LSD, the gay movement, 2pac (he grew up in the bay) grateful dead, slang (do you understand how much slang originates in the bay area? hella, fosheezy, playa hater?) have affected the country? Whether you like it or not, it's affected the country!

Im not even from there and I can assure you that the bay area is where LA gets most of its ideas (e.g. Dr. Dre rips off Too Short). Trust me, SF is second only to NY in terms of being influential culturally.

(e.g. Dr. Dre ripped off Too Short)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I won't argue against SF being no.5 but a couple of earlier posts listed it's cultural contributions as being a reason why it is important. Some people just need some examples of this.
What worthwhile cultural sea-changes trace their origins to SF.

What people has SF produced who have really impacted America?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:21 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Well I think SF is a solid 4 on the list.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,460 times
Quote:
quote=johntremaine;8626069How can you not say hippies, beatniks, the internet, LSD, the gay movement, 2pac (he grew up in the bay) grateful dead, slang (do you understand how much slang originates in the bay area? hella, fosheezy, playa hater?) have affected the country? Whether you like it or not, it's affected the country!

Im not even from there and I can assure you that the bay area is where LA gets most of its ideas (e.g. Dr. Dre rips off Too Short). Trust me, SF is second only to NY in terms of being influential culturally.

These are all reasons why San Fran is not relevant culturally. Fosheezy???!!!! Playa Hater LOL! What the hell is wrong with you?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
How can you not say hippies, beatniks, the internet, LSD, the gay movement, 2pac (he grew up in the bay) grateful dead, slang (do you understand how much slang originates in the bay area? hella, fosheezy, playa hater?) have affected the country? Whether you like it or not, it's affected the country!

Again, I'm with TomDot with this one. Why are (most of) those things important? And once again, Tupac did not grow up in California...he grew up in New York City and Baltimore and then moved to Cali when he was 17.

I've never heard anyone but people from California say "Hella" and the only time I ever hear anyone say "fosheezy" or "playa hater" are either rappers, or idiots...or regular people who are making fun of idiots/rappers.

It's tough to give credit solely to the Bay Area for the internet. The whole movement of the internet began with Sputnik by the USSR back in the 50s. Then much of the other research was done in Cambridge, MA at Harvard and MIT, UCLA, and Stanford. The World Wide Web was invented by a Brit in Geneva and then he attempted to perfect it at MIT. Plenty of places have done their part to create the internet, though the Bay Area has had a significant influence due to the overwhelming number of tech companies in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or