U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Reputation: 4054

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Symbols are more powerful than you give them credit for. LA and NYC derive a good deal of their power from their symbols. The US is both envied and hated because of its symbols.
Symbols certainly are important, but what do you consider more important: getting cancer-free or watching a funny advertisement of cute CG polar bears trying to drink a soda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,150,182 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Coke is a symbol; that's it. I could easily throw out the Astrodome being the first domed stadium in the world and being nicknamed "the 8th wonder of the world". You don't put up a soda against things like oil, education, energy, ports, technology,etc.

If the argument was international reputation than sure ,but were speaking about importance.
It's frankly quite a bit more than a mere symbol. It is also the MOST recognized AND admired brand name on the planet.

Look it up. Montclair18 has posted the list containing all of the world's top brands in the past.

And sorry, tmac9wr. The Interstate hub that radiates out of Atlanta is THE reason we have over half a billion square feet of distribution/warehouse space here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's frankly quite a bit more than a mere symbol. It is also the MOST recognized AND admired brand name on the planet.

Look it up. Montclair18 has posted the list containing all of the world's top brands in the past.

And sorry, tmac9wr. The Interstate hub that radiates out of Atlanta is THE reason we have over half a billion square feet of distribution/warehouse space here.
You're proving my point. That's recognition; not importance. Two completely different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And sorry, tmac9wr. The Interstate hub that radiates out of Atlanta is THE reason we have over half a billion square feet of distribution/warehouse space here.
Fair enough...I still don't buy that Atlanta is more important than San Francisco, Houston, or Boston.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-08-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It's frankly quite a bit more than a mere symbol. It is also the MOST recognized AND admired brand name on the planet.

Look it up. Montclair18 has posted the list containing all of the world's top brands in the past.

And sorry, tmac9wr. The Interstate hub that radiates out of Atlanta is THE reason we have over half a billion square feet of distribution/warehouse space here.
Admired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Admired?
Actually Coca-Cola is #12 on the Most Admired Companies list...but is still the most recognized and most valuable brand in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,941 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I only added Atlanta.It was my choice.Yet you SAY it is ridiculous to name it.I never ONCE said HOUSTON ,San Francisco or Boston should be NOT be mentioned.You and others got mad becasue instead of just staing your preferences in a detailed well thought out educated answer,you decided to go in ATTACK mode like many of YOU TEXANS do more than ANYbody on C-D.

Then you cannot realize that I was debating and answering questions to MORE than one person about ALL the issue each individual had with certain different aspects of my post.
So then you say I brought up those things when actually I did not.I only answered the questions poised to me.

Instead of deciphering the who said what,to whom and when.You lump it all together and TRY to attribute a false statement that YOU TRIED to associate to me:
(YOU)
You also are not comprehending well because YOU said I said this:

When actually I said this:
and the only thing i said mentioning Anchorage is this:

If you had read what I posted about culture in the ATL vs HOU,you would have seen what I said about Houston's museums and cultural facilities of how they are highly regarded.I also mentioned what I thought Atlanta had in comparison or what it lacked.So you are right,you are TIRED apparently ,because it seems you(like some others) just don't wanna hear what I'm saying about Atlanta.For some reason you guys think if I say something positive about Atlanta,then I'm really saying something NEGATIVE about your city or others.That is very narrow-minded.
This is the post I responded to:

Quote:
Being the 8th busiest is nothing (which is not true)Its 16th.With 50million less than ATL and Dallas(maybe you meant it at #7) is bigger but still 33,000 less.
World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thing is you and some others are trying to make a case individually for certain things Houston or any other city beats Atlanta inThat however is not the question.The question was on a national scale importance.That is open to interpretation.If there was a biological attack somewhere in the U.S.Atlanta would probably be important.Some say Houston is important because of energy(oil)well I agree.But so is Anchorage,and New Orleans.To some Houston is still more important.i'm not saying they are wrong.I'm just saying I do not agree more so than what I think Atlanta is in different areas of importance.
And to repeat myself, not only did you practically accuse The Houston Air System of making up numbers, but you backed your accusation up WITH A WIKIPEDIA LINK!

And then you show go on to show how little you know about Houston and why it's known as "Then Energy Capital of the World" by comparing it's oil industry to New Orleans and Anchorage (as you can see, you DID include Anchorage). If you don't understand why Houston is the significant to energy industry, that's fine. Your not from here. So that's understandable, and I would be happy to explain it to you, but your comparison is ridiculous.

In this most resent response, you just completely make up a quote comparing Houston and New Orleans (replacing Anchorage with Mobile) refineries and pretended that it was in the original sentence I was referring, which it's clearly not.

I could go on to further about how about how you keep manipulating the facts (or just making stuff up) but I think I've proven point. If your willing to have an intelligent conversation about HOU vs ATL, I would be happy to be civil, but if your just going to through feishies at the wall and see what sticks, I'm going to call you out.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-08-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,941 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Here's a list that Montclair has posted previously on this site, so credit goes to him for it:

THE WORLD'S MOST WELL ROUNDED CITIES by GaWC released in 2004

Five levels of global city are identified. First, and clearly above all others, there are London and New York. All previous research has highlighted the dominance of these two cities in the world city hierarchy (Taylor 2004a) and they emerge here as the most important 'all-round' global contributors. They are followed by three cities that make smaller all-round contribution and with particular cultural strengths: Los Angeles, Paris and San Francisco. Finally, among 'all-rounders' there are seven incipient world cities identified in Table 11. In the second category of global niche cities, the three leading Pacific Asian cities are critical economic nodes in the world city network and there are also three critical nodes that are non-economic: Brussels, Geneva and Washington, DC. Thus a total of 18 cities are deemed to be global, actual or incipient.

The remaining world cities encompass articulator and niche cities. The former are focussed upon subnets and there are 13 distributed between the three non-economic spheres. Classic examples are Vienna at the centre of a UN agency subnet and Nairobi at the centre of a NGO subnet. There are 21niche world cities identified of which seven have important concentrations of economic activities and 14 concentrations of non-economic activities. Frankfurt is typical of the first group with its concentration of banks while Manila is typical of the second group with its concentration of NGOs.

These two sets of cities represent the upper echelons of the hierarchical tendencies in world city networks. To reiterate a point made in the introduction, they do not encompass all globalization processes, all cities

GLOBAL as so involved, but they are the key locales that network formation agents are using in their everyday activities that are creating world city networks. CITIES

Well rounded global
Very large contribution: London and New York Smaller contribution and with cultural bias: Los Angeles, Paris and San Francisco
ii Incipient global cities: Amsterdam, Boston, Chicago, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Toronto

Global niche cities - specialised global contributions

i Economic: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Tokyo

ii Political and social: Brussels, Geneva, and Washington

WORLD CITIES

Subnet articulator cities

i Cultural: Berlin, Copenhagen, Melbourne, Munich, Oslo, Rome, Stockholm Political: Bangkok, Beijing, Vienna

ii Social: Manila, Nairobi, Ottawa

Worldwide leading cities

i Primarily economic global contributions: Frankfurt, Miami, Munich, Osaka, Singapore, Sydney, Zurich

ii Primarily non-economic global contributions: Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Atlanta, Basle, Barcelona, Cairo, Denver, Harare, Lyon, Manila, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, Shanghai

And here's Foreign Policy's 2008 Global City Index:

The rankings are based on the evaluation of 24 metrics in five areas: business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural experience, and political engagement. The top thirty of the 60 cities ranked were:
RankCityBest category (position in that category)

1. New York City
2. London
3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Los Angeles
7. Singapore
8. Chicago
9. Seoul
10. Toronto
11. Washington DC
12. Beijing
13. Brussels
14. Madrid
15. San Francisco
16. Sydney
17. Berlin
18. Vienna
19. Moscow
20. Shanghai
21. Frankfurt
22. Bangkok
23. Amsterdam
24. Stockholm
25. Mexico City
26. Zurich
27. Dubai
28. Istanbul
29. Boston
30. Rome

I think you could easily make a case that oil, energy, medical research, biotechnology, high tech, elite educational systems, and financial services prominence easily outweigh UPS, Coke, and CNN...not to mention San Francisco, Boston and Houston all have considerably larger economic power than Atlanta.

You mentioned that Atlanta has a Fed Bank? So does Boston and San Francisco. The CDC? Sounds pretty cool but I'm sure it's nothing compared to Longwood or Texas Medical Center. Plus Boston just completed one of the only labs in the country dedicated to researching defenses against biological warfare.

I don't deny that Atlanta isn't the capital of the South, but when you're surrounded by states like South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and North Carolina (all of which are fine in their own right) which don't have any major cities, it's easy to make the claim of "we're most important!!". The fact that cities like Boston and Philadelphia happen to be in arguably the most powerful corridor on the planet shouldn't take away from how important they are. Just like the fact that Chicago dominates the center of the country shouldn't take away from Houston's importance.

P.S. I'm absolutely puzzled that you listed 3 major highways passing through Atlanta as a reason for it being a transportation hub, and therefore increasing its importance. Hartsfield does increase Atlanta's importance...but highways definitely do not.
Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
 
7,594 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Reputation: 8954
Default I think..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Then you my friend are living in denial. I think Atlanta is a lock top for top 10 for sure but I don't think it has a shot at a top 5 finish. With SF you have to take in account it's proximity to Silicon Valley and realize it's in one of the most important regions of the US....The Bay Area. The Bay Area metro would easily smash Atlanta's metro when it comes to global importantce, diversity, technology, education, politics...

Houston and Boston are no slacks either and I think they have a greater impact on the country and world then Atlanta does.
...that he's agreeing with you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Then you my friend are living in denial. I think Atlanta is a lock top for top 10 for sure but I don't think it has a shot at a top 5 finish. With SF you have to take in account it's proximity to Silicon Valley and realize it's in one of the most important regions of the US....The Bay Area. The Bay Area metro would easily smash Atlanta's metro when it comes to global importantce, diversity, technology, education, politics...

Houston and Boston are no slacks either and I think they have a greater impact on the country and world then Atlanta does.
You've pretty much just repeated everything tmac was saying.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top