U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,482,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Then you my friend are living in denial. I think Atlanta is a lock top for top 10 for sure but I don't think it has a shot at a top 5 finish. With SF you have to take in account it's proximity to Silicon Valley and realize it's in one of the most important regions of the US....The Bay Area. The Bay Area metro would easily smash Atlanta's metro when it comes to global importantce, diversity, technology, education, politics...

Houston and Boston are no slacks either and I think they have a greater impact on the country and world then Atlanta does.
Hahaha, as JLuke and MassVT have mentioned, you and I are on the same team buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM

517 posts, read 1,153,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...that he's agreeing with you..
Yup you are correct, I should just step away from the computer right now lol...forgive give me it's been a long day lol

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You've pretty much just repeated everything tmac was saying.......
Yes I know, I know.....misread the entry I correct myself

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hahaha, as JLuke and MassVT have mentioned, you and I are on the same team buddy.
Yea sorry I had minimal sleep due to a 3 month old blue nose pitbull puppy, my brain is not working at the moment...but then yes I agree with you ha

Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yup you are correct, I should just step away from the computer right now lol...forgive give me it's been a long day lol
It's all good my friend, we all have em! Just pop the top of a cold one and relaxxxxxx...you're out in the Bay Area, right? If I were you I'd choose Lauganitas Maximus IPA

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-08-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol no, sorry, not this lifelong Niner fan.

I do want to see the Cowboys do well though whenever it is the Niners are solid enough again to meet in the postseason and resurrect the old rivalry! Those were good times.
I hated the Niners up until they drafted Crabtree. Now I hated Crabtree but still like the Niners. And I love San Francisco. I've wanted to visit San Fran or even liver there for a while. Are you from the Bay Area?

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-08-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,651,659 times
Quote:
It's all good my friend, we all have em! Just pop the top of a cold one and relaxxxxxx...you're out in the Bay Area, right? If I were you I'd choose Lauganitas Maximus IPA

mmm...Lagunitas Maximus IPA

Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
mmm...Lagunitas Maximus IPA
Soooooooo good. I can't believe I spelled that wrong. I'm hoping to try the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid soon. I bought a bomber of it but left it at my friend's house

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

7,906 posts, read 12,141,091 times
Quote:
Here's a list that Montclair has posted previously on this site, so credit goes to him for it:

THE WORLD'S MOST WELL ROUNDED CITIES by GaWC released in 2004.
This is, as you stated, from 2004.

If you checked your sources then you would have seen this:

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The GaWC in 2008 re-published their roster of leading world cities. This roster, similar to the 1998 version is sorted through categories of "Alpha" world cities (four categories), "Beta" world cities (three categories), "Gamma" world cities (three categories), and cities with "High sufficiency" and "Sufficiency" world cities presence.
The GaWC's 2008 roster of leading Alpha, Beta and Gamma World Cities is reproduced below; see the source for the complete roster:
So the list goes (just the American ones):
  1. New York City - Alpha++
  2. Chicago - Alpha-
  3. Los Angeles - Beta+
  4. Washington D.C. - Beta+
  5. Atlanta - Beta+
  6. San Francisco - Beta+
  7. Dallas - Beta
  8. Miami - Beta
  9. Houston - Beta-

As I was only speaking about the GaWC, the Foreign Policy list is irrelevant, but I'll play.

Yes, it did not place Atlanta as the 5th most important American city....but as the 8th.

Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index

As you can imagine, there is considerable debate as to which city is most important after New York, Chicago, L.A. and D.C. What isn't up for debate is whether or not Atlanta is worthy enough to contest that spot or it's unquestioned stance as the Southeast's dominant city.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,241,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is, as you stated, from 2004.

If you checked your sources then you would have seen this:

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the list goes (just the American ones):
  1. New York City - Alpha++
  2. Chicago - Alpha-
  3. Los Angeles - Beta+
  4. Washington D.C. - Beta+
  5. Atlanta - Beta+
  6. San Francisco - Beta+
  7. Dallas - Beta
  8. Miami - Beta
  9. Houston - Beta-
As I was only speaking about the GaWC, the Foreign Policy list is irrelevant, but I'll play.

Yes, it did not place Atlanta as the 5th most important American city....but as the 8th.

Foreign Policy: The 2008 Global Cities Index

As you can imagine, there is considerable debate as to which city is most important after New York, Chicago, L.A. and D.C. What isn't up for debate is whether or not Atlanta is worthy enough to contest that spot or it's unquestioned stance as the Southeast's dominant city.
Well-said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or