U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Apology accepted.

Yea, I just don't think doubling the number of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies equate to twice the corporate power for the various reasons listed. I understand what you mean to say, but there are flaws in using the Fortune lists especially in light of other data on economic productivity.
I see your point and it would take more time, energy, and searching for statistics than I am interested in putting into this argument to porve, lest just say that in this category, that there is a significant gap between Atlanta and Houston or Dallas. This isn't saying that Atlanta is not a corporate or economic power in this country they are just not on the same level as Houston or Dallas. Is that agreeable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM

22,172 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I see your point and it would take more time, energy, and searching for statistics than I am interested in putting into this argument to porve, lest just say that in this category, that there is a significant gap between Atlanta and Houston or Dallas. Is that agreeable?
There's a gap in the number of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies and a small gap in metro population and gdp's. I think everyone would have to agree to that.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,159,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I see your point and it would take more time, energy, and searching for statistics than I am interested in putting into this argument to porve, lest just say that in this category, that there is a significant gap between Atlanta and Houston or Dallas. This isn't saying that Atlanta is not a corporate or economic power in this country they are just not on the same level as Houston or Dallas. Is that agreeable?
Atlanta is most definately on the same level as Dallas or Houston in the corporate world.

Interesting that Atlanta has more overnight visitors and substantially more hotel rooms than both. Why do you think that is?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Atlanta is most definately on the same level as Dallas or Houston in the corporate world.

Interesting that Atlanta has more overnight visitors and substantially more hotel rooms than both. Why do you think that is?
Atlanta has alot more tourist appeal than Dallas or Houston. That would at least explain some of it.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Atlanta has alot more tourist appeal than Dallas or Houston. That would at least explain some of it.
Atlanta also has a very substantial convention center and is highly ranked as a convention city.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta also has a very substantial convention center and is highly ranked as a convention city.
Indeed it does.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 PM

4,909 posts, read 12,532,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Ohhhhhh....pay attention to me! Pay attention to me! Respect me!

The GaWC seems to think DFW, Houston, and Atlanta are contribute more to the global economy than Philly.

Global city: Definition from Answers.com#

GAWC?

GAWC is a study group for an economic class in some some remote college in UK. Its a bunch of bored college kids and an out of touch professor keeping themselves occupied.Good grief they have Philadephia(8th largest metro economy in the world) lumped in cities 1/6th its economic output(Antwerp -Lagos WTH????).

I would suggest relying on Census data and Bureau of Labor for your argumentive data. As of the 2000 1990 1980-----1790 census Philadelphia is comfortably ahead of Atl-Hous-Dallas- not to mention SF and Bos.

Last edited by rainrock; 10-09-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
I just have to say, respectfully, I don't understand this "the Houston Oil industry trumps all" argument.

Yes, oil is a huge commodity. Yes, most everyone has to purchase it on a weekly basis. But here are a couple of thoughts that I would like actual responses to:
  1. What makes the oil industry in Houston more important than say Alaska? How is it unique when Venezuela and Saudi Arabia (among a lot of other countries) trump Houston in output and refinement?
  2. How does this distinguish Houston? It's not as if we can go to the gas station and choose the city our gasoline came from.
  3. Peak oil anyone? The oil business to me is sort of like a guy who wins $100 million on the lottery, stops working, and spends his day buying nothing but expensive cars and cheap women. Eventually it's going to run out. What then?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I just have to say, respectfully, I don't understand this "the Houston Oil industry trumps all" argument.

Yes, oil is a huge commodity. Yes, most everyone has to purchase it on a weekly basis. But here are a couple of thoughts that I would like actual responses to:
  1. What makes the oil industry in Houston more important than say Alaska? How is it unique when Venezuela and Saudi Arabia (among a lot of other countries) trump Houston in output and refinement?
  2. How does this distinguish Houston? It's not as if we can go to the gas station and choose the city our gasoline came from.
  3. Peak oil anyone? The oil business to me is sort of like a guy who wins $100 million on the lottery, stops working, and spends his day buying nothing but expensive cars and cheap women. Eventually it's going to run out. What then?
Well New York shouldn't be considered the financial center of the United States because Las Angeles is also has a lot of money and is really big.

That's about the equivalent of what you just said.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

If you have to ask this than you obviously know nothing about oil in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or