U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,163,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If you have to ask this than you obviously know nothing about oil in Houston.
Well yeah, that's why I asked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Most Nonstop International
Markets Served after NY
Intl Nonstop
Airport Markets Served
1 New York (JFK) 82
2 Atlanta (ATL) 69
3 Miami (MIA) 64
4 New York (LGA) 64
5 Houston (IAH) 54
Currently Miami International Airport has 86 international destinations while new york is over 100.

As for most important
1. NYC/DC I cant see how we can seperate them they are both too important.
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Francisco
5. Atlanta (CDC Atlanta Airport)
Honorble Dallas, Houston, Miami, Boston.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
GAWC?

GAWC is a study group for an economic class in some some remote college in UK. Its a bunch of bored college kids and an out of touch professor keeping themselves occupied.Good grief they have Philadephia(8th largest metro economy in the world) lumped in cities 1/6th its economic output(Antwerp -Lagos WTH????).

I would suggest relying on Census data and Bureau of Labor for your argumentive data. As of the 2000 1990 1980-----1790 census Philadelphia is comfortably ahead of Atl-Hous-Dallas- not to mention SF and Bos.
Agreed.

I found the two GAWC surveys I seen here on City-Data, while good for a academic discussion (and a few laughs) could safetly be discounted.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
GAWC?

GAWC is a study group for an economic class in some some remote college in UK. Its a bunch of bored college kids and an out of touch professor keeping themselves occupied.Good grief they have Philadephia(8th largest metro economy in the world) lumped in cities 1/6th its economic output(Antwerp -Lagos WTH????).

I would suggest relying on Census data and Bureau of Labor for your argumentive data. As of the 2000 1990 1980-----1790 census Philadelphia is comfortably ahead of Atl-Hous-Dallas- not to mention SF and Bos.
What the hell does census data have to do with being important? Just because a city or metro area is bigger doesnt make it more important.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Agreed.

I found the two GAWC surveys I seen here on City-Data, while good for a academic discussion (and a few laughs) could safetly be discounted.
At least they have a diagnostic method. Most of the people on here are geographers and social scientists like the GAWC, were just opinionated losers with too much time to talk about this stuff.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
At least they have a diagnostic method. Most of the people on here are geographers and social scientists like the GAWC, were just opinionated losers with too much time to talk about this stuff.
Explain why you like their diagnostic method to a "opinionated loser" who thinks they are continually underrating American cities like Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Houston, Los Angeles etc.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Explain why you like their diagnostic method to a "opinionated loser" who thinks they are continually underrating American cities like Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Houston, Los Angeles etc.
Because I dont believe anything unless their is scientific data to point it out. I have my own opinions obviously, but Im willing to accept that they might be wrong if there is a scientific study with a diagnostic method that rates all places on the same scale.

GaWC - Globalization and World Cities

Most people on here complain and complain when their city of choice is rated less favorably, but unless one of us is an expert in the field of cultural, social, and economic geography, Ill take the diagnostic data any day.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Because I dont believe anything unless their is scientific data to point it out. I have my own opinions obviously, but Im willing to accept that they might be wrong if there is a scientific study with a diagnostic method that rates all places on the same scale.

GaWC - Globalization and World Cities

Most people on here complain and complain when their city of choice is rated less favorably, but unless one of us is an expert in the field of cultural, social, and economic geography, Ill take the diagnostic data any day.
Either way, Atlanta does not rank over Houston. They even have Miami ranking over Houston. The government even admits Houston is one of the top 5 most important cities. It's a very big deal when a hurricane is coming. It will make a huge impact on the country if something were to happen to it; I can't say the same for Atlanta or Miami.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:18 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Either way, Atlanta does not rank over Houston. They even have Miami ranking over Houston. The government even admits Houston is one of the top 5 most important cities. It's a very big deal when a hurricane is coming. It will make a huge impact on the country if something were to happen to it; I can't say the same for Atlanta or Miami.
This kind of response is exactly what he was talking about a couple of posts prior:

"Because I dont believe anything unless their is scientific data to point it out. I have my own opinions obviously, but Im willing to accept that they might be wrong if there is a scientific study with a diagnostic method that rates all places on the same scale.

Most people on here complain and complain when their city of choice is rated less favorably, but unless one of us is an expert in the field of cultural, social, and economic geography, Ill take the diagnostic data any day."

Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This kind of response is exactly what he was talking about a couple of posts prior:

"Because I dont believe anything unless their is scientific data to point it out. I have my own opinions obviously, but Im willing to accept that they might be wrong if there is a scientific study with a diagnostic method that rates all places on the same scale.

Most people on here complain and complain when their city of choice is rated less favorably, but unless one of us is an expert in the field of cultural, social, and economic geography, Ill take the diagnostic data any day."
I think anyone with any type of education and intelligent would know Oil/Energy are far more important than CDC,CNN,COKE,Busy airport, and a few other regional things. Nothing you guys have said has made me think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or