U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,401,374 times
Reputation: 1305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Currently Miami International Airport has 86 international destinations while new york is over 100.

As for most important
1. NYC/DC I cant see how we can seperate them they are both too important.
2. Chicago
3. LA
4. San Francisco
5. Atlanta (CDC Atlanta Airport)
Honorble Dallas, Houston, Miami, Boston.
Are you ranking airports or cities here?

Because if you're ranking airports Atlanta is the hub for the whole south and would be number one followed after Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Are you ranking airports or cities here?
If it was a ranking of airports, Atlanta wouldn't be #5...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,401,374 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
If it was a ranking of airports, Atlanta wouldn't be #5...
You'd think so but you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,297,953 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think anyone with any type of education and intelligent would know Oil/Energy are far more important than CDC,CNN,COKE,Busy airport, and a few other regional things. Nothing you guys have said has made me think otherwise.
Ok like I said before,since you say "Houston has oil so if its more important than Atlanta" than it MUST be more important than ANY city in America.How intelligent does that sound?If you want to continue on like CNN/COKE/and a busy airport are the only things that Atlanta has going on for it,then you are lacking education your self.The difference between think rationally as oppose to irrationally is that,while some of us that support other cities agree that a case could be made for all the major cities we have discussed based on empirical evidence.Yet YOU lose credibility and any type of legitimacy when all you can say are the same arguments over and over without ANY evidence to support what you are saying should be considered.

Then you SQUEEZED what are at best just statements on a subject and try to pass them off as some type of endorsements.(Homeland Security remark about Top funded cities).You are becoming unreasonable in your quest to prove your city is best because of your heavily biased behavior.

Sure you can say I am biased.Yet I have provided countless articles,census reports and studies assert why I think(not feel or feeling)the way I do.Yet at best ,some people can only pick out only the "tiniest" details.Those that do not show a major change from what was posted by me and others earlier.You only wish to deny what should at the very least recognized as very creditable responses to the answer of the O.P.'s question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok like I said before,since you say "Houston has oil so if its more important than Atlanta" than it MUST be more important than ANY city in America.How intelligent does that sound?If you want to continue on like CNN/COKE/and a busy airport are the only things that Atlanta has going on for it,then you are lacking education your self.The difference between think rationally as oppose to irrationally is that,while some of us that support other cities agree that a case could be made for all the major cities we have discussed based on empirical evidence.Yet YOU lose credibility and any type of legitimacy when all you can say are the same arguments over and over without ANY evidence to support what you are saying should be considered.

Then you SQUEEZED what are at best just statements on a subject and try to pass them off as some type of endorsements.(Homeland Security remark about Top funded cities).You are becoming unreasonable in your quest to prove your city is best because of your heavily biased behavior.

Sure you can say I am biased.Yet I have provided countless articles,census reports and studies assert why I think(not feel or feeling)the way I do.Yet at best ,some people can only pick out only the "tiniest" details.Those that do not show a major change from what was posted by me and others earlier.You only wish to deny what should at the very least recognized as very creditable responses to the answer of the O.P.'s question.
In fairness I think there is alot of misleading going on here. People throw out data trying to prove a point and then twist it around so that it ends up proving a point. Ive seen it in heaping helpings from all sides on this thread.

I seem to recall someone stateing that there are more Asians in Atlanta than Houston or Dallas when statistical data proves Atlanta has the least. Yet this poster seperated the foreign born population from all three MSA's and then divided the populations of the foreign born communities into percentages to try to prove that Atlanta has the most Asians. This poster then tried to say Atlanta has the fastest growing Asian (not Korean, but Asian) community among the three and provided no proof, but used the same statistics to try and prove it.

In case we forgot, heres the table data again. Scroll past the first data from 2000 and you will see the one from 2005-2007.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Asian_American

From this table, even if we assume Metro Atlanta has 250,000 Asians, this would put the MSA percentage at 4.5%. Based on the numbers, DFW would be at 4.8% and Houston at 5.4%

Its too bad, because alot of the data this poster used was actually quite useful and relevant. But on certain points, bias seems to have won out.

If that isnt misleading, I dont know what is.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-10-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
Reputation: 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
In fairness I think there is alot of misleading going on here. People throw out data trying to prove a point and then twist it around so that it ends up proving a point. Ive seen it in heaping helpings from all sides on this thread.

I seem to recall someone stateing that there are more Asians in Atlanta than Houston or Dallas when statistical data proves Atlanta has the least. Yet this poster seperated the foreign born population from all three MSA's and then divided the populations of the foreign born communities into percentages to try to prove that Atlanta has the most Asians. This poster then tried to say Atlanta has the fastest growing Asian (not Korean, but Asian) community among the three and provided no proof, but used the same statistics to try and prove it.

In case we forgot, heres the table data again. Scroll past the first data from 2000 and you will see the one from 2005-2007.

Wapedia - Wiki: Asian American

From this table, even if we assume Metro Atlanta has 250,000 Asians, this would put the MSA percentage at 4.5%. Based on the numbers, DFW would be at 4.8% and Houston at 5.4%

Its too bad, because alot of the data this poster used was actually quite useful and relevant. But on certain points, bias seems to have won out.

If that isnt misleading, I dont know what is.

The misleading thing about your post is that the source you cite makes it seem as if Atlanta's Asian population is insignificant.

As of 2003, the Asian population of Atlanta was around 200,000 ACS: 2003 ACS Tabular Profile for Georgia -- Table 1 (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Profiles/Single/2003/ACS/Tabular/040/04000US131.htm - broken link)

So that means that because Dallas has a 90,000 person advantage it equals a more relevant and international presence? Absolute nonsense.

Let's also keep in mind that these numbers are really out of date. In 2011, we'll see the true numbers, but just going around the Atlanta Metro now you'd notice the difference. There has been an absolute explosion (in particular the Korean-Atlantan community) in the last few years.

Besides any of this though, the number and ethnic backgrounds of a city's residents is irrelevant to it's domestic or global importance. Have you ever been to Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, or Mumbai? Good luck finding someone who isn't Japanese, Korean, Pinoy or Indian in those respective cities. Are they not domestic leaders in their own countries or global cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The misleading thing about your post is that the source you cite makes it seem as if Atlanta's Asian population is insignificant.

As of 2003, the Asian population of Atlanta was around 200,000 ACS: 2003 ACS Tabular Profile for Georgia -- Table 1 (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Profiles/Single/2003/ACS/Tabular/040/04000US131.htm - broken link)

So that means that because Dallas has a 90,000 person advantage it equals a more relevant and international presence? Absolute nonsense.

Let's also keep in mind that these numbers are really out of date. In 2011, we'll see the true numbers, but just going around the Atlanta Metro now you'd notice the difference. There has been an absolute explosion (in particular the Korean-Atlantan community) in the last few years.

Besides any of this though, the number and ethnic backgrounds of a city's residents is irrelevant to it's domestic or global importance. Have you ever been to Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, or Mumbai? Good luck finding someone who isn't Japanese, Korean, Pinoy or Indian in those respective cities. Are they not domestic leaders in their own countries or global cities?
Oh wow! first of all, you posted a link for the ethnic background of the state of Georgia, not just Atlanta. So that 200,000 Asian population is for the whole state of about 8.4 million people as apposed to Atlanta's metro's 5.3 million. Talk about manipulating facts. I would have to ask you have you ever been to Dallas? They do have a huge and growing Asian population as well.

I would also have ask if have ever been to Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, or Mumbai? If you've been to Tokyo, you might be able to correct me but my understanding of Tokyo is a very diverse city in which you can find people that represent almost every part of the world. It's one of the top three most powerful economic cities on the planet and draws people in from almost every content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785
He may have mistakenly posted Georgia information rather than Atlanta, but really...how many Asians are you thinking live in Georgia outside of Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
He may have mistakenly posted Georgia information rather than Atlanta, but really...how many Asians are you thinking live in Georgia outside of Atlanta?
Well I've seen him post stuff like this before were it would compare he would post a link completely misinterpret or manipulate the information on a link to were it would appear way in Atlanta's advantage.

But how many Asians do you think live outside Atlanta in Georgia? I guess if had to ball park it (and this is a complete estimate based on no facts at all), I would have to say between 20-40 thousand Asian's out of the 3 million people living in Georgia outside of Atlanta. Which if that's true (again a very very rough estimate based on no facts), it would be people between 110,000 and 130,000 difference in Asian population between Atlanta and Dallas. That's a lot of Asians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ok like I said before,since you say "Houston has oil so if its more important than Atlanta" than it MUST be more important than ANY city in America.How intelligent does that sound?If you want to continue on like CNN/COKE/and a busy airport are the only things that Atlanta has going on for it,then you are lacking education your self.The difference between think rationally as oppose to irrationally is that,while some of us that support other cities agree that a case could be made for all the major cities we have discussed based on empirical evidence.Yet YOU lose credibility and any type of legitimacy when all you can say are the same arguments over and over without ANY evidence to support what you are saying should be considered.
Were you really trying to make a point with that statement? The point I made was the fact that Houston has oil; it is easily over Atlanta. You keep spewing out all this data, but nothing to secure ATL a spot in the top 5. You have a way of putting words in people mouth; no one in this forum has came to that conclusion besides you.

You don't need evidence to prove it LOL

Any person with an education and knowledge of the US economy will tell you oil plays a huge part in it. Just give it up already. Atlanta is not top 5 material. It shouldn't even be being dicussed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top