U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,141 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Were you really trying to make a point with that statement? The point I made was the fact that Houston has oil; it is easily over Atlanta. You keep spewing out all this data, but nothing to secure ATL a spot in the top 5. You have a way of putting words in people mouth; no one in this forum has came to that conclusion besides you.

You don't need evidence to prove it LOL

Any person with an education and knowledge of the US economy will tell you oil plays a huge part in it. Just give it up already. Atlanta is not top 5 material. It shouldn't even be being dicussed in this thread.
well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,282,211 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
In fairness I think there is alot of misleading going on here. People throw out data trying to prove a point and then twist it around so that it ends up proving a point. Ive seen it in heaping helpings from all sides on this thread.

I seem to recall someone stateing that there are more Asians in Atlanta than Houston or Dallas when statistical data proves Atlanta has the least. Yet this poster seperated the foreign born population from all three MSA's and then divided the populations of the foreign born communities into percentages to try to prove that Atlanta has the most Asians. This poster then tried to say Atlanta has the fastest growing Asian (not Korean, but Asian) community among the three and provided no proof, but used the same statistics to try and prove it.

In case we forgot, heres the table data again. Scroll past the first data from 2000 and you will see the one from 2005-2007.

Wapedia - Wiki: Asian American

From this table, even if we assume Metro Atlanta has 250,000 Asians, this would put the MSA percentage at 4.5%. Based on the numbers, DFW would be at 4.8% and Houston at 5.4%

Its too bad, because alot of the data this poster used was actually quite useful and relevant. But on certain points, bias seems to have won out.

If that isnt misleading, I dont know what is.
You either cannot read or you have trouble accepting what is front of you.(I think its the latter)In fairness?LOL.Such a LIE.You are SO much full of crap!!You "fain" fairness!! What crock of b.s.I posted EVERY thing.Point is you and others did not want to take what I posted.I gave links to all the Census data that was the latest.TWICE you have tried to insinuate that I was "MAKING UP"stuff.You insult my intergrity and my inteligence.You have had to eat your words.We were focusing on international visitors.Then you tried to change the subject by saying "oh that is from airport traffic".When I prove you wrong again,then its "oh I meant about Airports,Gave you links to those totals.Your reply?"Oh I was talking O&D traffic.Proving Atlanta had more O&D traffic, Gave you that.Gave even more ,showed you were wrong again by posting the link and numbers to that.Then you moved on to "oh Atlanta does not have a faster growing Asian population".I gave you a link to the Census Bureau which had the "Foreign Born Populations" from:
Latin America
Asia
Africa
Oceania
Europe
I posted it TWICE.I stand by what the Census said as true.I then said "it(Atlanta) had the fastest growing Asian Population out of the three.I said it came from the Census.Some things I know from reading ALL the time.Much of what I learn is WAY before I log onto C-D.So its not always in my mind to find a link to something on the internet that I read in a credible magazine or report whose name might escape memory at the very moment I am challenged by some person who cannot accept that what they THINK they know,does not amount to much more than "conjecture".

One lie after another then you try to act as if other people are "skewing the debate with twisting the facts.Facts that you can't even disprove.I see right through your act..

You say you want me to prove what I'm saying yet YOU can't disprove it.Why should I have to do all the work?Every time I show something ,you got some crazy excuse.You have been making all kinds of statements that show your BIAS more than ANYTHING based in fact.

I understand stats can be misleading,but I have given links to article basically backing up all that I said,Wasn't enough for you.So you go out and get data that is old or out of context and try to pass it off as if its it negates what I have said.Did I go off the handle ,NO.I did not.Even though you keep ACCUSING me of being DISHONEST.I can disagree all day and not take it personal,but when you try to paint me as a LIAR?Oh,hell NO.So lucky I'm a gentleman, otherwise I would really go there.Get off you stupidity and learn to disagree without attacking because it can get ugly.I prefer to be civil,but I will NOT sit here and let YOU try to accuse me of dishonesty.I suggest you watch your words if you are trying to engage me in discussion,otherwise leave me out of your ignorant behavior.

When people(people ,meaning YOU) cannot when arguments,they try to find a small irrelevant fact that really detracts from the real figures and data that is indisputable because thats all they(meaning YOU)got.(think they got).


I really don't like to get into embarrassing people.However you keep putting your FEET in your mouth,leaving you all on the floor looking pitiful.
United States by Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico - GCT0503. Percent of People Born in Asia<BR>Universe: Foreign-born population
2008 1 year totals:
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area 25.9%

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area 20.8%
Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Metro Division 21.1%
Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Division 19.9%

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area 20.
2

http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-108.pdf
Notice how many dark areas/counties in the Atlanta(and Georgia) area than Houston and Dallas in "PERCENT CHANGE 1990-2000"

Let us examine your LIES:

Quote:
I think there is alot of misleading going on here. People throw out data trying to prove a point and then twist it around so that it ends up proving a point. Ive seen it in heaping helpings from all sides on this thread


I seem to recall someone stateing that there are more Asians in Atlanta than Houston or Dallas when statistical data proves Atlanta has the least.

Yet this poster seperated the foreign born population from all three MSA's and then divided the populations of the foreign born communities into percentages to try to prove that Atlanta has the most Asians. This poster then tried to say Atlanta has the fastest growing Asian (not Korean, but Asian) community among the three and provided no proof, but used the same statistics to try and prove it.

If you apologize I will graciously accept and this will be a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,282,211 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Were you really trying to make a point with that statement? The point I made was the fact that Houston has oil; it is easily over Atlanta. You keep spewing out all this data, but nothing to secure ATL a spot in the top 5. You have a way of putting words in people mouth; no one in this forum has came to that conclusion besides you.

You don't need evidence to prove it LOL

Any person with an education and knowledge of the US economy will tell you oil plays a huge part in it. Just give it up already. Atlanta is not top 5 material. It shouldn't even be being dicussed in this thread.
You sure its just me?

Maabus1999
Quote:
While energy services will be cyclical as always, as they are needed worldwide, actual TX production and its impact on economic growth is not very "bullish."

[b][quote]TX's biggest draw for energy and the country is its refining capacity which is substantial. State wise it does drill the most oil, but most of our domestic oil is Federally owned offshore, and throw in 70% import ratio for oil, and TX as an oil producer for the country and its impact on her is not "gigantic".

You didn't like word problems in math class did you? Check the statistic again, it has nothing to do with land area. It has to do with per 100,000 people...

Unless of course your arguement is to diminish Houston which is surprising coming from a native. By pointing out that 3rd metric, well, it makes it less impressive. If you don't understand why, well, we'll just end this by saying that isn't a smart comparison to add

[i]
Quote:
Natural gas wise that is another story (and with current prices is one reason the TX economy "might" get shocked a bit this summer).


He also cleaned your clock after you kept placing Houston over all other cities in healthcare after he posted this:
Quote:
Most doctors
Which cities have the most geriatric, cancer and heart doctors?
RankCityGeriatric, cancer and heart doctors per 100,000 population
1Boston, MA448.7
2Atlanta, GA234.4
3Nashville-Davidson, TN215.2
4Denver, CO212.7
5Baltimore, MD211.2
6Indianapolis, IN180.2
7Columbus, OH176.0
8Washington, DC169.1
9Houston, TX166.2
10Charlotte, NC159.6


after you made a reply saying that "Houstons land size per square mile".This guy says this in response to you:
"TomDOT"
Quote:
The Statistic was per 100,00 of population, not per square mile.


Oh my personal favorite was:

Quote:
"D.C.'s Finest"
Houston? Stop playing. It could fall in the gulf and no one would miss it except people in the Republic of Texas


Quote:
"Rush Hour"
So i guess that's why we are still struggling with the middle east for oil.


Even one of your supports said this in response to one of Mabuss1999:
Quote:
"TexasTheKid"
I'm going to confess that Houston's importance also relies on Dallas. If the two cities were a single metroplex, then it would easily fit into the top five, and likely into the top two.

Smart call on the oil tanker investment, by the way. It's doesn't yield high, but even if the boat gets turned away in the gulf, it'll get shipped somewhere, and the contents will get sold. It's nice to know you'll at least get some return on your investment.


The list goes on and on.:
Looks like I'm "spewing" is nothing but all this data as you say,but all you are spinning,(NOT spewing);are "BROKEN RECORDS".Whats that good for?Oh.Well I do like to dance. DROP the BEAT D.J.!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What the hell does census data have to do with being important? Just because a city or metro area is bigger doesnt make it more important.
Look most of this thread has revolved around digging up uncorroborated, "johnny come lately" data stating subject X's biasness .

The census bureau and bureau of labor statistics tell you all you need to know about the historical significance of the most important cities/ metroes.No offense but Philadlephias historical past alone puts it ahead of embryonic metros like Houston Dallas Atlanta which were cow pastures and cotton fields while Philadlephia helped build and sculpt this nation.

The Philadlephia area is a John D Rockefeller. Houston and Atlanta are Rockefellers great great great great offspring who are out spending their trust funds on nice sparkling material items, Mercedes-Benz MSR McLaren / $5 M dollar mcmansions, occassional all night crack/Finlandia benders

Logic dicates that you have to look at the entire body of work when encompassing a "most important list". After NYC- Philadlephia is arguably the most historically important city in the usa. Philadlephia was the first or second biggest city/metro in the usa for 70% of this countrys lifespan, and to this day can still make the claim that its the 4th largest MSA(urban area) in the country with tremendous economic diversity.

The arguments being made on this thread are more in tune with "Which city has the most corporate influence" Not Most important cities, there is alot more that goes into "most important cities designation" than airports and oil."

Last edited by rainrock; 10-11-2009 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Reputation: 7280
[quote=afonega1;11136904]You sure its just me?

Maabus1999

[b]
Quote:
TX's biggest draw for energy and the country is its refining capacity which is substantial. State wise it does drill the most oil, but most of our domestic oil is Federally owned offshore, and throw in 70% import ratio for oil, and TX as an oil producer for the country and its impact on her is not "gigantic".

You didn't like word problems in math class did you? Check the statistic again, it has nothing to do with land area. It has to do with per 100,000 people...

Unless of course your arguement is to diminish Houston which is surprising coming from a native. By pointing out that 3rd metric, well, it makes it less impressive. If you don't understand why, well, we'll just end this by saying that isn't a smart comparison to add

[i]

He also cleaned your clock after you kept placing Houston over all other cities in healthcare after he posted this:


after you made a reply saying that "Houstons land size per square mile".This guy says this in response to you:
"TomDOT"


Oh my personal favorite was:





Even one of your supports said this in response to one of Mabuss1999:


The list goes on and on.:
Looks like I'm "spewing" is nothing but all this data as you say,but all you are spinning,(NOT spewing);are "BROKEN RECORDS".Whats that good for?Oh.Well I do like to dance. DROP the BEAT D.J.!!
If Houston fell into the ocean; we'd see what happened with Atlanta when IKE rolled through. Stop trying to downplay oil, especially when Texas holds the majority of America's oil. The 5 supermajor oil companies have locations here. No one is buying into the bull you keep repeating and that is why the normal ATL crew isn't here helping you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You either cannot read or you have trouble accepting what is front of you.(I think its the latter)In fairness?LOL.Such a LIE.You are SO much full of crap!!You "fain" fairness!! What crock of b.s.I posted EVERY thing.Point is you and others did not want to take what I posted.I gave links to all the Census data that was the latest.TWICE you have tried to insinuate that I was "MAKING UP"stuff.You insult my intergrity and my inteligence.You have had to eat your words.We were focusing on international visitors.Then you tried to change the subject by saying "oh that is from airport traffic".When I prove you wrong again,then its "oh I meant about Airports,Gave you links to those totals.Your reply?"Oh I was talking O&D traffic.Proving Atlanta had more O&D traffic, Gave you that.Gave even more ,showed you were wrong again by posting the link and numbers to that.Then you moved on to "oh Atlanta does not have a faster growing Asian population".I gave you a link to the Census Bureau which had the "Foreign Born Populations" from:
Latin America
Asia
Africa
Oceania
Europe
I posted it TWICE.I stand by what the Census said as true.I then said "it(Atlanta) had the fastest growing Asian Population out of the three.I said it came from the Census.Some things I know from reading ALL the time.Much of what I learn is WAY before I log onto C-D.So its not always in my mind to find a link to something on the internet that I read in a credible magazine or report whose name might escape memory at the very moment I am challenged by some person who cannot accept that what they THINK they know,does not amount to much more than "conjecture".

One lie after another then you try to act as if other people are "skewing the debate with twisting the facts.Facts that you can't even disprove.I see right through your act..

You say you want me to prove what I'm saying yet YOU can't disprove it.Why should I have to do all the work?Every time I show something ,you got some crazy excuse.You have been making all kinds of statements that show your BIAS more than ANYTHING based in fact.

I understand stats can be misleading,but I have given links to article basically backing up all that I said,Wasn't enough for you.So you go out and get data that is old or out of context and try to pass it off as if its it negates what I have said.Did I go off the handle ,NO.I did not.Even though you keep ACCUSING me of being DISHONEST.I can disagree all day and not take it personal,but when you try to paint me as a LIAR?Oh,hell NO.So lucky I'm a gentleman, otherwise I would really go there.Get off you stupidity and learn to disagree without attacking because it can get ugly.I prefer to be civil,but I will NOT sit here and let YOU try to accuse me of dishonesty.I suggest you watch your words if you are trying to engage me in discussion,otherwise leave me out of your ignorant behavior.

When people(people ,meaning YOU) cannot when arguments,they try to find a small irrelevant fact that really detracts from the real figures and data that is indisputable because thats all they(meaning YOU)got.(think they got).


I really don't like to get into embarrassing people.However you keep putting your FEET in your mouth,leaving you all on the floor looking pitiful.
United States by Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico - GCT0503. Percent of People Born in Asia<BR>Universe: Foreign-born population
2008 1 year totals:
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area 25.9%

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area 20.8%
Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX Metro Division 21.1%
Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Division 19.9%

Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Metro Area 20.2

http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-108.pdf
Notice how many dark areas/counties in the Atlanta(and Georgia) area than Houston and Dallas in "PERCENT CHANGE 1990-2000"

Let us examine your LIES:



I seem to recall someone stateing that there are more Asians in Atlanta than Houston or Dallas when statistical data proves Atlanta has the least.

Yet this poster seperated the foreign born population from all three MSA's and then divided the populations of the foreign born communities into percentages to try to prove that Atlanta has the most Asians. This poster then tried to say Atlanta has the fastest growing Asian (not Korean, but Asian) community among the three and provided no proof, but used the same statistics to try and prove it.

If you apologize I will graciously accept and this will be a thing of the past.
I think we have a communitcations breakdown.

Youre talking percentages, Im talking numerically.

With the amount of Latino's in Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth, its easy to see why the percentage of Asians isnt higher in either.

There are more TOTAL Asians in DFW and Houston, but if we look at the percentage of foreign born people in the three, Atlanta has the highest percentage of Asians because of the lack of a huge Latino community.

Atlanta might also have the "fastest growing" Asian community, but it depends on how we define "fastest growing".

If we say fastest growing means relative to other foreign born communities (which is what youre saying), then yes Atlanta does because Latinos arent flooding into Atlanta the way they are into DFW or Houston.

If we say fastest growing means total number of Asians coming into the area, then we wont know what the fastest growing community really is until 2010. Between 2000 and 2007, DFW gained more Asians by number than Metro Houston. I dont know where Atlanta comes in.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/sho...o?diaryId=2597

Think of it this way. Houston has about 1.1 million foreign born residents, DFW has about 1.0 million foreign born residents, Atlanta has about 600,000 foreign born residents as of 2005. Go ahead and assume the numbers are higher in 2007. Even so, 20% of 1 million or 1.1 million is alot higher than 26% of 600,000.

The thing is we are both right. We just seem to be talking in different metrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,141 times
Reputation: 466
[quote=jluke65780;11138598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You sure its just me?

Maabus1999

[b]
If Houston fell into the ocean; we'd see what happened with Atlanta when IKE rolled through. Stop trying to downplay oil, especially when Texas holds the majority of America's oil. The 5 supermajor oil companies have locations here. No one is buying into the bull you keep repeating and that is why the normal ATL crew isn't here helping you.
It's way more than just refineries and drilling in Texas. Any oil well built has to be drilled and pumped, and the company does this, is the one that receives the profits from refining and distribution the oil. These Houston Corporations control refineries and oil drills all over the world. Good luck getting Louisiana to pick up the slack if you Houston seaports just disappeared.

And it's not than just oil, it's the business. Energy Plaza could be compared to the Wall Street of the Energy industry. Just about every big player in the oil industry around the world has close ties with Houston. You could also include natural gas corporations (I'm not sure if natural gas is drilled for by the oil corporations or not) as well. Several very large electric energy companies are also located in Houston. If you want to start a financial firm, best place to go is New York. If you want to be and direct films, your best chance is LA. If you want to start and energy company, you go to Houston. That's just the way it is.

And then there is the Houston seaport which is used to import and distribute oil from and to all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,290 posts, read 7,874,230 times
Reputation: 3017
Nyc
dc
chicago
la
houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,141 times
Reputation: 466
[quote=jluke65780;11138598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You sure its just me?

Maabus1999

[b]
If Houston fell into the ocean; we'd see what happened with Atlanta when IKE rolled through. Stop trying to downplay oil, especially when Texas holds the majority of America's oil. The 5 supermajor oil companies have locations here. No one is buying into the bull you keep repeating and that is why the normal ATL crew isn't here helping you.
To add on to add on to your statement, it's way more than just refineries and drilling in Texas. Any oil well built has to be drilled and pumped, and the company does this, is the one that receives the profits from refining and distribution the oil. These Houston Corporations control refineries and oil drills all over the world.

And it's not than just oil, it's the business. Energy Plaza could be compared to the Wall Street of the Energy industry. As you pointed out, just about every big player in the oil industry around the world has close ties with Houston. You could also include natural gas corporations (I'm not sure if natural gas is drilled for by the oil corporations or not) as well. Several very large electric energy companies are also located in Houston.

And then there is the Houston seaports which is used to import and distribute oil from and to all over the world. Good luck getting Louisiana to pick up the slack if the Houston seaports just disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Colorado
2,561 posts, read 5,019,013 times
Reputation: 2223
While I have nothing against Atlanta it should not be in the same conversation with Houston as most important in my unbiased opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top