U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Reputation: 2784

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Look most of this thread has revolved around digging up uncorroborated, "johnny come lately" data stating subject X's biasness .

The census bureau and bureau of labor statistics tell you all you need to know about the historical significance of the most important cities/ metroes.No offense but Philadlephias historical past alone puts it ahead of embryonic metros like Houston Dallas Atlanta which were cow pastures and cotton fields while Philadlephia helped build and sculpt this nation.

The Philadlephia area is a John D Rockefeller. Houston and Atlanta are Rockefellers great great great great offspring who are out spending their trust funds on nice sparkling material items, Mercedes-Benz MSR McLaren / $5 M dollar mcmansions, occassional all night crack/Finlandia benders

Logic dicates that you have to look at the entire body of work when encompassing a "most important list". After NYC- Philadlephia is arguably the most historically important city in the usa. Philadlephia was the first or second biggest city/metro in the usa for 70% of this countrys lifespan, and to this day can still make the claim that its the 4th largest MSA(urban area) in the country with tremendous economic diversity.

The arguments being made on this thread are more in tune with "Which city has the most corporate influence" Not Most important cities, there is alot more that goes into "most important cities designation" than airports and oil."
"biasness"? Is that a word? I think it's just "bias". Usually when I come to something like that, I stop reading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think we have a communitcations breakdown.

Youre talking percentages, Im talking numerically.

With the amount of Latino's in Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth, its easy to see why the percentage of Asians isnt higher in either.

There are more TOTAL Asians in DFW and Houston, but if we look at the percentage of foreign born people in the three, Atlanta has the highest percentage of Asians because of the lack of a huge Latino community.

Atlanta might also have the "fastest growing" Asian community, but it depends on how we define "fastest growing".

If we say fastest growing means relative to other foreign born communities (which is what youre saying), then yes Atlanta does because Latinos arent flooding into Atlanta the way they are into DFW or Houston.

If we say fastest growing means total number of Asians coming into the area, then we wont know what the fastest growing community really is until 2010. Between 2000 and 2007, DFW gained more Asians by number than Metro Houston. I dont know where Atlanta comes in.

Swing State Project: Demographic Sea Change in Texas

Think of it this way. Houston has about 1.1 million foreign born residents, DFW has about 1.0 million foreign born residents, Atlanta has about 600,000 foreign born residents as of 2005. Go ahead and assume the numbers are higher in 2007. Even so, 20% of 1 million or 1.1 million is alot higher than 26% of 600,000.

The thing is we are both right. We just seem to be talking in different metrics.
I told you that from the beginning.You did not say as you are saying now.You cannot compare apples and oranges.Can you compare Houston's density,foreign born population,or most measures by total numeric numbers to NYC?NO.So why do it any other way to Atlanta,when Houston is population in the city is almost double that of Atlanta's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,205,355 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I told you that from the beginning.You did not say as you are saying now.You cannot compare apples and oranges.Can you compare Houston's density,foreign born population,or most measures by total numeric numbers to NYC?NO.So why do it any other way to Atlanta,when Houston is population in the city is almost double that of Atlanta's?
Well, Metro Houston and Metro Atlanta have similar populations. Granted there is a gap between DFW and Metro Atlanta, I still think its fair game. NYC and Houston on the other hand are worlds apart. In my opinion total numbers are more important than percentages, but in youre opinion percentage are more important. I dont think that makes either of us wrong.

Look, this is going to be my last post on this subject. You have your opinions and I have mine. Perhaps we can agree to disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Were you really trying to make a point with that statement? The point I made was the fact that Houston has oil; it is easily over Atlanta. You keep spewing out all this data, but nothing to secure ATL a spot in the top 5. You have a way of putting words in people mouth; no one in this forum has came to that conclusion besides you.

You don't need evidence to prove it LOL

Any person with an education and knowledge of the US economy will tell you oil plays a huge part in it. Just give it up already. Atlanta is not top 5 material. It shouldn't even be being dicussed in this thread.
I think you should "give it up already"I have given several arguments,quoting and postying all kinds data,yet you say I have done "nothing" to secure it in the top 5?LOL!!Yes if I say its blue and you say its still red.I suppose you are right.If I show you how I found a bucket of yellow and green to show how the blue was made,I suppose I still have proved nothing according to you.Becasue in your opinion one does not need evidence!!LOL.

Then you say ANYONE with and education or knowledge of the U.S. Economy...blah...blah...blah...oil....blah....blah ....oil...and...oil....and oil.....LOL.

The question basically is make a case for what city is the 5th most important on a national scale."You basically say it's because of oil yet if that is true,why not make the case for Houston to be number 2,not #5?Yet what YOU do not (or do not want to see) is that the economy of the U.S. like many countries operates on with the USE of oil ,but not from actually having it.The OPEC countries have that benefit,and almost all of them are STILL NOT the most important cities in the WORLD.In fact their is NO list with an oil CITY or NATION that ranks as one of the worlds most important city.NOT ONE!!So why should Houston be based on that?

Its all about the 3 C's.
Commerce-international trade.Local and international business,access to other markets,georagrahpy and logistics
Culture -the arts of the region,world,and access.The culture of providing growth,the people interested and seeing or hearing it.Also promotion
Centers-Where all things seem to come from.Finance,Educational Centers,Research,Institutions both locally(American) and International.Markets

This is the Brooking's Report on what American Cities have a "global connectivity" outreach when it comes to business and connections OUTSIDE of the U.S. vs.its international counter parts and how those cities overseas are usuallly more "globally connected than their U.S. counterparts.

Table 4. Local Orientations of U.S. and EU City Hinterworlds
U.S.-ness EU-ness
U.S. city (local orientation) / EU city (local orientation)
Denver- 1.000 / Cologne 0.703
Indianapolis - 1.000 / Munich 0.656
Pittsburgh - 1.000 // Stuttgart 0.640
Cleveland-0.981 / Antwerp 0.625
San Diego - 0.981 / Hamburg 0.609
St. Louis - 0.981 / Lyon 0.578
Boston -0.963 / Barcelona 0.531
Minneapolis 0.963 / Berlin 0.531
Philadelphia 0.963 / Rome 0.500
Portland- 0.963 / Copenhagen 0.375
Kansas City- 0.944 / Milan 0.360
Seattle- 0.944 / Rotterdam 0.360
Charlotte- 0.926 / Lisbon 0.344
Dallas- 0.926 / Luxembourg City 0.250
Los Angeles- 0.926 / Vienna 0.250
Washington, D.C. 0.926 / Dusseldorf 0.219
Detroit- 0.907 / Birmingham 0.203
Houston- 0.889 / Madrid 0.203
San Francisco- 0.851 / Amsterdam 0.188
Atlanta- 0.833 / Paris 0.172
Chicago- 0.815 / Dublin 0.156
Miami- 0.741 / Frankfurt 0.156
New York- 0.481 / Stockholm 0.141
/Manchester 0.109
/London -0.078
/ Helsinki -0.045
/Brussels -0.016
/Athens 0.000
The lower the score the more globally important they are.

More than one respected survey or study say Atlanta is DEFINITELY in the upper echelon.Just because you cannot handle that,does not make it any less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,676,558 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think you should "give it up already"I have given several arguments,quoting and postying all kinds data,yet you say I have done "nothing" to secure it in the top 5?LOL!!Yes if I say its blue and you say its still red.I suppose you are right.If I show you how I found a bucket of yellow and green to show how the blue was made,I suppose I still have proved nothing according to you.Becasue in your opinion one does not need evidence!!LOL.

Then you say ANYONE with and education or knowledge of the U.S. Economy...blah...blah...blah...oil....blah....blah ....oil...and...oil....and oil.....LOL.

The question basically is make a case for what city is the 5th most important on a national scale."You basically say it's because of oil yet if that is true,why not make the case for Houston to be number 2,not #5?Yet what YOU do not (or do not want to see) is that the economy of the U.S. like many countries operates on with the USE of oil ,but not from actually having it.The OPEC countries have that benefit,and almost all of them are STILL NOT the most important cities in the WORLD.In fact their is NO list with an oil CITY or NATION that ranks as one of the worlds most important city.NOT ONE!!So why should Houston be based on that?

Its all about the 3 C's.
Commerce-international trade.Local and international business,access to other markets,georagrahpy and logistics
Culture -the arts of the region,world,and access.The culture of providing growth,the people interested and seeing or hearing it.Also promotion
Centers-Where all things seem to come from.Finance,Educational Centers,Research,Institutions both locally(American) and International.Markets

This is the Brooking's Report on what American Cities have a "global connectivity" outreach when it comes to business and connections OUTSIDE of the U.S. vs.its international counter parts and how those cities overseas are usuallly more "globally connected than their U.S. counterparts.

Table 4. Local Orientations of U.S. and EU City Hinterworlds
U.S.-ness EU-ness
U.S. city (local orientation) / EU city (local orientation)
Denver- 1.000 / Cologne 0.703
Indianapolis - 1.000 / Munich 0.656
Pittsburgh - 1.000 // Stuttgart 0.640
Cleveland-0.981 / Antwerp 0.625
San Diego - 0.981 / Hamburg 0.609
St. Louis - 0.981 / Lyon 0.578
Boston -0.963 / Barcelona 0.531
Minneapolis 0.963 / Berlin 0.531
Philadelphia 0.963 / Rome 0.500
Portland- 0.963 / Copenhagen 0.375
Kansas City- 0.944 / Milan 0.360
Seattle- 0.944 / Rotterdam 0.360
Charlotte- 0.926 / Lisbon 0.344
Dallas- 0.926 / Luxembourg City 0.250
Los Angeles- 0.926 / Vienna 0.250
Washington, D.C. 0.926 / Dusseldorf 0.219
Detroit- 0.907 / Birmingham 0.203
Houston- 0.889 / Madrid 0.203
San Francisco- 0.851 / Amsterdam 0.188
Atlanta- 0.833 / Paris 0.172
Chicago- 0.815 / Dublin 0.156
Miami- 0.741 / Frankfurt 0.156
New York- 0.481 / Stockholm 0.141
/Manchester 0.109
/London -0.078
/ Helsinki -0.045
/Brussels -0.016
/Athens 0.000
The lower the score the more globally important they are.

More than one respected survey or study say Atlanta is DEFINITELY in the upper echelon.Just because you cannot handle that,does not make it any less true.
So your saying Athens, Brussels, and Helsinki are the most important cities in the world, and this would be your top 10 in the US:

1. New York
2. Miami
3. Chicago
4. Atlanta
5. San Francisco
6. Houston
7. Detroit
8. Washington DC
9. Los Angeles
10. Dallas

...and

17. Boston

If you want to stick by that argument, OK. Although it is impressive that Atlanta has ranked so high so many of these lists, you haven't proven anything. I think importance of a city would involve more than just global connectivity. It's notable for sure, but this would be your list if that was the deciding factor. Why? because the list would look something like what you posted. You haven't proven anything to make Atlanta deserve to be the #5 most important city on a national scale not just above Houston and Dallas, but San Frans and Boston as well.

You keep negating the importance of Houston's energy industry (which is WAY more than just refining oil). Did you read my last post? Do you think Houston having the highest concentration of international oil corporations is no big deal? Or how about Texas Medical Center, which is the largest medical research center in the world? or Houston's seaport system which is the nation's largest port in terms of foreign tonnage and 2nd in total tonnage? And that is JUST Houston.

Here's link on information about the city:

Competitor Comparison | Greater Houston Partnership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think you should "give it up already"I have given several arguments,quoting and postying all kinds data,yet you say I have done "nothing" to secure it in the top 5?LOL!!Yes if I say its blue and you say its still red.I suppose you are right.If I show you how I found a bucket of yellow and green to show how the blue was made,I suppose I still have proved nothing according to you.Becasue in your opinion one does not need evidence!!LOL.

Then you say ANYONE with and education or knowledge of the U.S. Economy...blah...blah...blah...oil....blah....blah ....oil...and...oil....and oil.....LOL.

The question basically is make a case for what city is the 5th most important on a national scale."You basically say it's because of oil yet if that is true,why not make the case for Houston to be number 2,not #5?Yet what YOU do not (or do not want to see) is that the economy of the U.S. like many countries operates on with the USE of oil ,but not from actually having it.The OPEC countries have that benefit,and almost all of them are STILL NOT the most important cities in the WORLD.In fact their is NO list with an oil CITY or NATION that ranks as one of the worlds most important city.NOT ONE!!So why should Houston be based on that?

Its all about the 3 C's.
Commerce-international trade.Local and international business,access to other markets,georagrahpy and logistics
Culture -the arts of the region,world,and access.The culture of providing growth,the people interested and seeing or hearing it.Also promotion
Centers-Where all things seem to come from.Finance,Educational Centers,Research,Institutions both locally(American) and International.Markets

This is the Brooking's Report on what American Cities have a "global connectivity" outreach when it comes to business and connections OUTSIDE of the U.S. vs.its international counter parts and how those cities overseas are usuallly more "globally connected than their U.S. counterparts.

Table 4. Local Orientations of U.S. and EU City Hinterworlds
U.S.-ness EU-ness
U.S. city (local orientation) / EU city (local orientation)
Denver- 1.000 / Cologne 0.703
Indianapolis - 1.000 / Munich 0.656
Pittsburgh - 1.000 // Stuttgart 0.640
Cleveland-0.981 / Antwerp 0.625
San Diego - 0.981 / Hamburg 0.609
St. Louis - 0.981 / Lyon 0.578
Boston -0.963 / Barcelona 0.531
Minneapolis 0.963 / Berlin 0.531
Philadelphia 0.963 / Rome 0.500
Portland- 0.963 / Copenhagen 0.375
Kansas City- 0.944 / Milan 0.360
Seattle- 0.944 / Rotterdam 0.360
Charlotte- 0.926 / Lisbon 0.344
Dallas- 0.926 / Luxembourg City 0.250
Los Angeles- 0.926 / Vienna 0.250
Washington, D.C. 0.926 / Dusseldorf 0.219
Detroit- 0.907 / Birmingham 0.203
Houston- 0.889 / Madrid 0.203
San Francisco- 0.851 / Amsterdam 0.188
Atlanta- 0.833 / Paris 0.172
Chicago- 0.815 / Dublin 0.156
Miami- 0.741 / Frankfurt 0.156
New York- 0.481 / Stockholm 0.141
/Manchester 0.109
/London -0.078
/ Helsinki -0.045
/Brussels -0.016
/Athens 0.000
The lower the score the more globally important they are.

More than one respected survey or study say Atlanta is DEFINITELY in the upper echelon.Just because you cannot handle that,does not make it any less true.
Deja Vu anyone??? Oh wait, it's because you post this list or something similar to it every other post.

Houston beats Atlanta in nationally and internationally importance. Tell me one thing in Atlanta that would cause the US to be deeply impacted if anything were to happen to it(physically, not emotionally).

Culture is subjective; However, Houston being more diverse......etc.

Commerce: Houston easily wins. Ports vs. ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Reputation: 2929
Default You are Mistaken.Don't put words where I never said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
So your saying Athens, Brussels, and Helsinki are the most important cities in the world, and this would be your top 10 in the US:

1. New York
2. Miami
3. Chicago
4. Atlanta
5. San Francisco
6. Houston
7. Detroit
8. Washington DC
9. Los Angeles
10. Dallas

...and

17. Boston

If you want to stick by that argument, OK. Although it is impressive that Atlanta has ranked so high so many of these lists, you haven't proven anything. I think importance of a city would involve more than just global connectivity. It's notable for sure, but this would be your list if that was the deciding factor. Why? because the list would look something like what you posted. You haven't proven anything to make Atlanta deserve to be the #5 most important city on a national scale not just above Houston and Dallas, but San Frans and Boston as well.

You keep negating the importance of Houston's energy industry (which is WAY more than just refining oil). Did you read my last post? Do you think Houston having the highest concentration of international oil corporations is no big deal? Or how about Texas Medical Center, which is the largest medical research center in the world? or Houston's seaport system which is the nation's largest port in terms of foreign tonnage and 2nd in total tonnage? And that is JUST Houston.

Here's link on information about the city:

Competitor Comparison | Greater Houston Partnership
If you would read what it says you would realize that it is not a list of "most important cities".It is a list of only ONE composite of a group of composites that create a total list.Its about levels of international commerce.Which is a major component.There are many other factors,but if there were only 3 to choose from,this would be one area that is tops above all.Detroit may be looked down on,but it still is the center of our entire auto manufacturing base.Why do you think the Congress and President were so into keeping them alive?Yet even basically cornering ONE major industry that is the center for its jobs and economy it is STILL not immune from pitfalls.

I am not the one making claims that because of OIL that makes it above the rest.Ok so its not JUST OIL?Good we agree.OIL is important,but so is education,culture,finance etc...Within all those there are many individual factors that make the case for why any of the cities can be in the TOP 5.I was not the ONE(jluke) who said or agreed(YOU),that Atlanta should not even be considered on the list.

I never said Houston was NOT important.What I said was there are many cities that could vie for the #5 position,but for one to instantly rule out the other without forethought or ease is absolutely wrong and inaccurate.Even if you disagree with Atlanta being number 5,you still have to agree why there are reason you could see a case being made for it.

You keep saying I have not proved anything,but in actuality I have.You and a couple of people may disagree but this very"juvenile" attempt at trying to say I "have not proved" anything is just laughable.The more you say it,it becomes funnier and funnier.You guys are embarrassing yourselves.
I'm not the only one to say that what I have posted makes for VERY compelling reasons other than what you guys repeating" Oh but we got OIL,we're the most important"!

I wonder if either of us were in court,you would have given the better argument for their client?I wonder who would the judge or jury vote in favor of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,293,184 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Deja Vu anyone??? Oh wait, it's because you post this list or something similar to it every other post.

Houston beats Atlanta in nationally and internationally importance. Tell me one thing in Atlanta that would cause the US to be deeply impacted if anything were to happen to it(physically, not emotionally).

Culture is subjective; However, Houston being more diverse......etc.

Commerce: Houston easily wins. Ports vs. ?????
If it were truly de ja vu'.you would truly have known it the FIRST time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you would read what it says you would realize that it is not a list of "most important cities".It is a list of only ONE composite of a group of composites that create a total list.Its about levels of international commerce.Which is a major component.There are many other factors,but if there were only 3 to choose from,this would be one area that is tops above all.Detroit may be looked down on,but it still is the center of our entire auto manufacturing base.Why do you think the Congress and President were so into keeping them alive?Yet even basically cornering ONE major industry that is the center for its jobs and economy it is STILL not immune from pitfalls.

I am not the one making claims that because of OIL that makes it above the rest.Ok so its not JUST OIL?Good we agree.OIL is important,but so is education,culture,finance etc...Within all those there are many individual factors that make the case for why any of the cities can be in the TOP 5.I was not the ONE(jluke) who said or agreed(YOU),that Atlanta should not even be considered on the list.

I never said Houston was NOT important.What I said was there are many cities that could vie for the #5 position,but for one to instantly rule out the other without forethought or ease is absolutely wrong and inaccurate.Even if you disagree with Atlanta being number 5,you still have to agree why there are reason you could see a case being made for it.

You keep saying I have not proved anything,but in actuality I have.You and a couple of people may disagree but this very"juvenile" attempt at trying to say I "have not proved" anything is just laughable.The more you say it,it becomes funnier and funnier.You guys are embarrassing yourselves.
I'm not the only one to say that what I have posted makes for VERY compelling reasons other than what you guys repeating" Oh but we got OIL,we're the most important"!

I wonder if either of us were in court,you would have given the better argument for their client?I wonder who would the judge or jury vote in favor of?
You pretty much summed up what I said I mentioned the ports and all that other stuff earlier or maybe it was in another thread. I don't know; me and you argue everywhere. Oil is just the key thing Houston is known for and what makes it a global player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,676,558 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you would read what it says you would realize that it is not a list of "most important cities".It is a list of only ONE composite of a group of composites that create a total list.Its about levels of international commerce.Which is a major component.There are many other factors,but if there were only 3 to choose from,this would be one area that is tops above all.Detroit may be looked down on,but it still is the center of our entire auto manufacturing base.Why do you think the Congress and President were so into keeping them alive?Yet even basically cornering ONE major industry that is the center for its jobs and economy it is STILL not immune from pitfalls.

I am not the one making claims that because of OIL that makes it above the rest.Ok so its not JUST OIL?Good we agree.OIL is important,but so is education,culture,finance etc...Within all those there are many individual factors that make the case for why any of the cities can be in the TOP 5.I was not the ONE(jluke) who said or agreed(YOU),that Atlanta should not even be considered on the list.

I never said Houston was NOT important.What I said was there are many cities that could vie for the #5 position,but for one to instantly rule out the other without forethought or ease is absolutely wrong and inaccurate.Even if you disagree with Atlanta being number 5,you still have to agree why there are reason you could see a case being made for it.

You keep saying I have not proved anything,but in actuality I have.You and a couple of people may disagree but this very"juvenile" attempt at trying to say I "have not proved" anything is just laughable.The more you say it,it becomes funnier and funnier.You guys are embarrassing yourselves.
I'm not the only one to say that what I have posted makes for VERY compelling reasons other than what you guys repeating" Oh but we got OIL,we're the most important"!

I wonder if either of us were in court,you would have given the better argument for their client?I wonder who would the judge or jury vote in favor of?
Well I would have read the report if you would have posted the link.

I never said that Atlanta wasn't important either. I think that there has been a very good case for it being in the top ten or even the top seven, but not the top 5. It's not just about Houston vs Atlanta. There is also Boston, SF, and Dallas as well. Every list of global cities I have seen posted, Miami, Boston, or SF have been ranked above Atlanta, if not all 3. I think most people would also agree that Boston and SF rank above Atlanta in culture, education, and finance.

The reason people keep bringing up Houston's energy industry (and for the hundredth time that involves way more than just oil) is it is the world's leading city in the business of one of the largest and most profitable industries on the entire plant as well as being a vital source for infrastructure. I think for Atlanta to be ranked above Houston you have to present a better case then what you have. Even then, that is only 37% of the cities economy. I also brought up the Texas Medical Center (largest medical center in the world), Houston's seaport systems (2nd largest in the nation in terms of total tonnage and 1st in foreign), and you could also through in NASA, biotechnology, nanotechnology (which originated through research in Houston), and Houston's population and GDP (oh and Atlanta is also behind Dallas, Houston, Boston, and the bay area in GDP by the way). I think some very good cases have been made for Atlanta, but I haven't seen areas were it dominates in any area except for it's airport (of course even then ATL's airport vs Houston's airport and seaport system). So I think you are trying to stretch and isolate facts to support your theory. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Here is a good case for a city to compete for #5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Good question! Let's find out!

Well first off, mutual funds were created in Massachusetts, by Boston-based MFS Investments. Currently, some of the best mutual fund companies in the world, including Fidelity Investments, MFS Investments, State Street Global Advisors, John Hancock Funds, and Putnam Investments are located in Boston. Considering mutual funds are one of the major investment vehicles on the planet, I'd say people from all over should care about them.

State Street Bank (parent co of State Street Global Advisors) is also the largest manager of institutional investments on the planet. Along with that, Liberty Mutual is the fourth largest property and casualty insurer in the nation. Companies like The Boston Consulting Group and Bain & Co are considered to be two of the four best strategic management firms on the planet. Both have offices all over the country and world.

Boston could also be considered to be the third best private equity hub on the planet, behind New York City and London (based on total capital raised). Institutional investment managers and private equity companies don't necessarily affect every regular Joe walking down the street, but they're extremely important in the corporate world.

I think we can all agree that life sciences are important to our country and the world, right? Well the Milken Institute ranks Boston as the top life science cluster in the country. We're the #1 medical research center in the country, with Mass General, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Brigham and Women's Hospital, among others.

The private sector around Boston includes companies like Genzyme, Biogen Idec, Boston Scientific, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, the research headquarters of Novartis AG, and the main pharmaceutical laboratory of Chicago-based Abbott Labs.

There are a bunch of other things that Boston produces that affect the entire nation, from semiconductors (Teradyne) to defense contracting (Raytheon). And I didn't even mention that little school across the Charles that produces all them Presidents!
If you would have present something similar to this, I would have to agree with you.

If CD were our jury, here are some other people on this thread who have said that Atlanta would not be ranked in the top 5 (oh and I made sure to pic non Houston or Atlanta posters):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
While I have nothing against Atlanta it should not be in the same conversation with Houston as most important in my unbiased opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I wouldn't argue that they aren't important, but I'd say it's more fitting the argument for Houston, Dallas and Atlanta should be filling the #6, #7, #8, and #9 slot for most important in the country, not #5.

I think Bay area is pretty much a lock at #5, with Boston and Houston battling for #6. I obviously give the edge to Boston, but there's definitely a solid argument for Houston too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
It is outlandish for you to say atlanta is the fifth most important city in america right up under chicago or dc so you have the nations capitol and then atlanta? No boston philly or sanfran? Really? no houston or dallas
And here is one of the many reason's I have a hard time believing Atlanta is so much of a global city that it deserves to be in the top 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
On your first list, Atlanta only ranks slightly above Dallas and Houston. Atlantas score was 52.86, Houstons was 51.3 and Dallas' was 51.25.

For the second list, both Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are Beta World cities.

But hey, at least your posting factual information on this one instead of making stuff up like you did about more international O&D passengers originating from ATL than DFW or IAH which is completely false.
And your newest list doesn't show much of a gap between Atlanta and a few cities in question (Houston, SF, and Miami is ranked above ATL) either.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-11-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top