U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
When I say south (in this case) I'm talking Georgia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina.
Even then you're wrong. Because people in Arkansas and Louisiana would more than likely head to DFW or even Houston to fly out the country if they so please. North Carolinians could fly out of Charlotte Douglass if they want to fly out of the country as well. The rest you maybe are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Even then you're wrong. Because people in Arkansas and Louisiana would more than likely head to DFW or even Houston to fly out the country if they so please. North Carolinians could fly out of Charlotte Douglass if they want to fly out of the country as well. The rest you maybe are correct.
It kind of depends on where they are flying to...there are many international destinations that Charlotte doesn't serve where they would have to fly through Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Apparently neither is Houston.Must be hard living in Dallas' Shadow.
Houston is in no way ever living in Dallas' shadow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It kind of depends on where they are flying to...there are many international destinations that Charlotte doesn't serve where they would have to fly through Atlanta.
True but with a growing market and a growing airport, I wouldn't expect North Carolinians and South Carolinians to go thru Atlanta that much in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
True but with a growing market and a growing airport, I wouldn't expect North Carolinians and South Carolinians to go thru Atlanta that much in the near future.
They don't have to go through Atlanta all that much...but for international flights there are a good number of destinations that would require going through somewhere - if not Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
No you didn't post the link. I went back and checked.

I never said that Houston should be ranked above Dallas. In my opinion, it's too close to call. I've just been talking about Houston because I know the city much better than Dallas
I agree that its too close to call. Both cities stand on their own without help from the other. I dont think for a moment Houston lives in Dallas' shadow nor do I think Dallas lives in Houston's shadow.

However, if you asked me, I think Dallas is a better city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
True but with a growing market and a growing airport, I wouldn't expect North Carolinians and South Carolinians to go thru Atlanta that much in the near future.
They really don't have to go through Atlanta now. Since U.S. Airways basically owns that market, most intl. flights go through Philadelphia anyway. The only way you would go through Atlanta would be flying Delta which would be more expensive in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,141 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I agree that its too close to call. Both cities stand on their own without help from the other. I dont think for a moment Houston lives in Dallas' shadow nor do I think Dallas lives in Houston's shadow.

However, if you asked me, I think Dallas is a better city.
If you would have said that a year ago I would have disagreed, but now I'm not sure. with the recent additions, planned, and proposed designs for the new additions to the art district (if you've seen any of the designs for the buildings planned and proposed WOW! I'm jealous!) as well as DART being years ahead of METRO (I'm VERY jealous of that too), I'm beginning to like Dallas more and more (and plus they have the Denton music scene ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,429 posts, read 13,171,663 times
Reputation: 3642
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
If you would have said that a year ago I would have disagreed, but now I'm not sure. with the recent additions, planned, and proposed designs for the new additions to the art district (if you've seen any of the designs for the buildings planned and proposed WOW! I'm jealous!) as well as DART being years ahead of METRO (I'm VERY jealous of that too), I'm beginning to like Dallas more and more (and plus they have the Denton music scene ).
Houston's art scene is great, and it will continue to expand even after doing so in the recent past (I attended the opening of the Beck years back.)

Neither city is "in the shadow" of the other, and anyone who would say such a thing is probably rather ignorant of each city.

There are a lot of similarities, but IMO the geographic location of Houston is something that is unique in Texas compared to the other major cities, and something that won't change. Houston ranks something like 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats. Galveston Island is a very underrated place (not just the beaches, but the historic city itself) and and a wonderful place that Houstonians can drive to on a whim within an hour. Kemah was ranked as one of the top 10 boardwalks in the country recently; nothing of the sort in Dallas, Austin or San Antonio. A river or lake is fine, but nothing like the salty sea breezes. The tall pine forests on the north side of the Houston metro are another unique thing. NASA is unique. Montrose is a wonderful area of Houston, and won an award last week for one of the top 10 urban neighborhoods in the country (the only one in Texas to make the list.) The award for Montrose and all of the other cities that made the list was presented in Houston at the Menil Collection, one of the finest private collections of art in the country.

Dallas does have a cleaner, but also more sterile look... anyone very concerned with appearances would probably prefer Dallas. Houston has a much more laid-back vibe.

Last edited by AK123; 10-12-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,282,211 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
No you didn't post the link. I went back and checked.

I never said that Houston should be ranked above Dallas. In my opinion, it's too close to call. I've just been talking about Houston because I know the city much better than Dallas

Again your isolating facts to support you opinion. Lets forget about Houston and Dallas for a second (which you still haven't put up a good argument for Atlanta to be ranked above either one). In almost every list posted Boston ranked above Atlanta. The only list you gave were Atlanta ranked above Boston was in number of college enrollment. If your making the argument that Atlanta surpasses Boston and SF in higher eduction and research, good luck with that. You still haven't proven that Atlanta even passes Houston in research (no just university research).
You keep talking about what I have not proven.But what have you proven?Anybody can sit back and criticize everything i put up.But what data have you or any other Houston supporter put up.After all I did show that Atlanta has higher research expenditure than any other city in the South in the following order nationwide.
1)Boston2)New York3)Baltimore4)Los Angeles5)Atlanta
If you know anything about research then you know that most of it is funded by corporations and is the backbone of major research breakthroughs.
And I did mention about how Atlanta has the American Cancer Society,The Arthritis Foundation,The Yerkes Primate Center.
Also

In some areas(education),yes Atlanta does rank above San Francisco.Not so much Boston.However Boston major claim to fame is quality more so than numbers.Cities like Atlanta and San Francisco are cities with a mix of both quality and quantity.Its not a given that San Francisco is better like it might be with Boston.

This silly notion that you must dominate in ONE field as Houston does in Oil is nothing more than "trickery".It adds nothing to the debate at all.The key is being in the top in several fields than just ONE.Dominating in ONE field just doesn't cut it if there are other cities that if needed can be built up in that field as well.I mean really why could we not do without Boston?or San Francisco?or Atlanta?or Houston?The only city that would devastate this country on the most major of levels if lost today would be NYC.That is why I said if Houston is so important as you and others make it,then why would Houston be more popular than Atlanta,but not Boston,San Fran,Chicago, or D.C.?No one can answer that one STILL.

Yet on you go with all your "still have not proved".Its not my job to make you believe.Especially when you have a closed mind.I have said I considered other cities BEFORE I even said Atlanta.My initial thought was Boston.The things that changed my mind was Atlanta's corporate power,media,transportation,and logistics.Why don't YOU TRY and make a case for Houston instead of repeating the same things that all Houstonians know because of the Metro Chamber of Commerce "talking points".Oil,Texas Medical Center,NASA...blah blah blah....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top