U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,136,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You keep talking about what I have not proven.But what have you proven?Anybody can sit back and criticize everything i put up.But what data have you or any other Houston supporter put up.After all I did show that Atlanta has higher research expenditure than any other city in the South in the following order nationwide.
1)Boston2)New York3)Baltimore4)Los Angeles5)Atlanta
If you know anything about research then you know that most of it is funded by corporations and is the backbone of major research breakthroughs.
And I did mention about how Atlanta has the American Cancer Society,The Arthritis Foundation,The Yerkes Primate Center.
Also

In some areas(education),yes Atlanta does rank above San Francisco.Not so much Boston.However Boston major claim to fame is quality more so than numbers.Cities like Atlanta and San Francisco are cities with a mix of both quality and quantity.Its not a given that San Francisco is better like it might be with Boston.

This silly notion that you must dominate in ONE field as Houston does in Oil is nothing more than "trickery".It adds nothing to the debate at all.The key is being in the top in several fields than just ONE.Dominating in ONE field just doesn't cut it if there are other cities that if needed can be built up in that field as well.I mean really why could we not do without Boston?or San Francisco?or Atlanta?or Houston?The only city that would devastate this country on the most major of levels if lost today would be NYC.That is why I said if Houston is so important as you and others make it,then why would Houston be more popular than Atlanta,but not Boston,San Fran,Chicago, or D.C.?No one can answer that one STILL.

Yet on you go with all your "still have not proved".Its not my job to make you believe.Especially when you have a closed mind.I have said I considered other cities BEFORE I even said Atlanta.My initial thought was Boston.The things that changed my mind was Atlanta's corporate power,media,transportation,and logistics.Why don't YOU TRY and make a case for Houston instead of repeating the same things that all Houstonians know because of the Metro Chamber of Commerce "talking points".Oil,Texas Medical Center,NASA...blah blah blah....
Between Atlanta and Houston, which has a bigger impact on everyday life across the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Between Atlanta and Houston, which has a bigger impact on everyday life across the country?
The Question IS what city is the most important in America after NYC?Answer my question first and i will gladly answer your?Nice try though.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,676,212 times
Quote:
It's funny how he just ignores your question? It sounds like a valid question in determining the most important cities in the country.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's funny how he just ignores your question? It sounds like a valid question in determining the most important cities in the country.
To be fair, he did ask a question in his last post that was also ignored...it was kinda hard to find, but it was a valid question.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Oh wow listen to the "great bearer of fairness to all mankind" who says" it seems like a valid question to him!"LOL!!Oh by the way how is that search going for the data to back up your claims about Houston?When will we see any of you make the claim for Houston?I already shot down that Oil argument.None of you can answer:Why is Houston not any more important than any other city outside of NYC because of its OIL?Sure is even FUNNIER(yes I know,not a word) how none of you can answer that.I took a nap,I thought you had enough time.Oh well maybe my question was not fair enough.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You keep talking about what I have not proven.But what have you proven?Anybody can sit back and criticize everything i put up.But what data have you or any other Houston supporter put up.After all I did show that Atlanta has higher research expenditure than any other city in the South in the following order nationwide.
1)Boston2)New York3)Baltimore4)Los Angeles5)Atlanta
If you know anything about research then you know that most of it is funded by corporations and is the backbone of major research breakthroughs.
And I did mention about how Atlanta has the American Cancer Society,The Arthritis Foundation,The Yerkes Primate Center.
Also

In some areas(education),yes Atlanta does rank above San Francisco.Not so much Boston.However Boston major claim to fame is quality more so than numbers.Cities like Atlanta and San Francisco are cities with a mix of both quality and quantity.Its not a given that San Francisco is better like it might be with Boston.

This silly notion that you must dominate in ONE field as Houston does in Oil is nothing more than "trickery".It adds nothing to the debate at all.The key is being in the top in several fields than just ONE.Dominating in ONE field just doesn't cut it if there are other cities that if needed can be built up in that field as well.I mean really why could we not do without Boston?or San Francisco?or Atlanta?or Houston?The only city that would devastate this country on the most major of levels if lost today would be NYC.That is why I said if Houston is so important as you and others make it,then why would Houston be more popular than Atlanta,but not Boston,San Fran,Chicago, or D.C.?No one can answer that one STILL.

Yet on you go with all your "still have not proved".Its not my job to make you believe.Especially when you have a closed mind.I have said I considered other cities BEFORE I even said Atlanta.My initial thought was Boston.The things that changed my mind was Atlanta's corporate power,media,transportation,and logistics.Why don't YOU TRY and make a case for Houston instead of repeating the same things that all Houstonians know because of the Metro Chamber of Commerce "talking points".Oil,Texas Medical Center,NASA...blah blah blah....
It's not a popularity contest. We are talking about importance. Infrastructure is a big part of importance.

That said, what I find narrow minded is that fact that you think being the "ENERGY (not JUST oil) Capital of the World" and the combination of Houston's airport and seaport system alone are not vital enough in infrastructure to the of the nation to be in the top 5.

Here is what you said:

"Dominating in ONE field just doesn't cut it if there are other cities that if needed can be built up in that field as well.I mean really why could we not do without Boston?or San Francisco?or Atlanta?or Houston?"

What a lame argument. Of course that's true for every city. If the energy industry wouldn't have developed in Houston of course it would have just developed somewhere else.

First of all we have all already discussed the importance of Houston's seaports, but I will repeat my self encase you have forgotten. The city is #1 in foreign tonnage and #2 in total. Why do you think that is? Well not only does it serve as a major distribution center for oil and natural gas through out country, but also serves as THE major seaport not only to Texas (a state of 25 million), but the I-35 Corridor and parts of the Midwest, Southwest, and Rocky Mountains. It is not only the biggest, but a VITAL port to the infrastructure of a large portion of the country and the entire United States if you consider its oil and natural gas distribution. Good luck getting Louisiana to pick up that slack. I don't need statistic to prove that. And, in addition, is the nation's 8th largest largest airport system, which, BTW, is suppose to increase to 72 million annual passengers by 2015, and 80 million by 2020.

And then there is corporate power. Houston has 29 Fortune 500 Company headquarters, only second to New York. The city also contains 18 of the fastest growing companies in the country. Sense you keep bringing up Forbes list (which if we were going to determine the top 5 most important cities in country based Forbes list, Austin would be #1 fallowed by Portland and Seattle), I do have one of my own:

Future Capitals of the World:

The slide link:

In Pictures: World Capitals Of The Future - Houston and Dallas, Texas - Forbes.com

These energy-rich cities have actually added jobs, spurring a rapid population growth. Last year, Houston and Dallas grew more than any metropolitan regions in the country, and over the past decade their populations have increased at six times the rate of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Francisco. But it's not all a demographic game. The key difference lies with the Texan cities' rising corporate power. Houston, with 27 Fortune 500 firms, has passed Chicago in the number of Fortune 500 companies, while Dallas, with 14, ranks third. Together, the two Texan cities account for about as many Fortune firms as New York, once home to almost a third of the nation's largest companies.

And here is the link for the full article:

World Capitals Of The Future - Forbes.com

Id you notice, many of the cities rising to be supper powers are strong holds in the energy sector. Why? Because with the world population growing at the rate that it is, those cities that are international players in energy are going to become a big part of the worlds future. If Houston is successful in becoming the leader in alternative energy as well (which they are obviously in a good position to do so), well, if you think Houston is booming now....

And I could go on to TMC and there hospitals such as MD Anderson (#1 in caner research and federal funding last year), Texas Children, St Lukes, Memorial Hermann, ext.... but I don't feel like any of this is sinking in. There is a whole host of other impressive facts about Houston that I could give you, but I think this, by it's self is a pretty good cases. Is that good enough for you?

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-12-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Oh wow listen to the "great bearer of fairness to all mankind" who says" it seems like a valid question to him!"LOL!!Oh by the way how is that search going for the data to back up your claims about Houston?When will we see any of you make the claim for Houston?I already shot down that Oil argument.None of you can answer:Why is Houston not any more important than any other city outside of NYC because of its OIL?Sure is even FUNNIER(yes I know,not a word) how none of you can answer that.I took a nap,I thought you had enough time.Oh well maybe my question was not fair enough.
Well, I actually do have a life that comes before answering you questions on city data.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,136,179 times
Quote:
The Question IS what city is the most important in America after NYC?Answer my question first and i will gladly answer your?Nice try though.
Nice try at what? It was a simple question, all you had to say was either Atlanta or Houston.

What city is important after NYC? hmm, probably Washington since supposedly that is where the country is run.

Enlighten me on why the oil argument is invalid? Turn on the news, oil and money run the world. Oil equates into fuel, plastic, asphalt, electricity, etc. Modern Society revolves around most of this. Atlanta has many reasons to be important to the country, but most of those traits are shared with other cities in the region, more or less the country. Atlanta's strengths are not necessarily unique to Atlanta although it may be the front runner. Even though Houston has one major industry (even though it is diversifying) it is one of maybe 2 or 3 other places that can support that industry. The other place can't even support itself much less the rest of the country so that makes Houston the lone star (no pun intended) in that area.

3 most important cities IMO (in no order)
New York (Financial)
Washington (Government)
Houston (Energy)

^ That is basically what keeps the world turning, more so finance and energy.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Nice try at what? It was a simple question, all you had to say was either Atlanta or Houston.

What city is important after NYC? hmm, probably Washington since supposedly that is where the country run.

Enlighten me on why the oil argument is invalid? Turn on the news, oil and money run the world. Oil equates into fuel, plastic, asphalt, electricity, etc. Modern Society revolves around most of this. Atlanta has many reasons to be important to the country, but most of those traits are shared with other cities in the region, more or less the country. Atlanta's strengths are not necessarily unique to Atlanta although it may be the front runner. Even though Houston has one major industry (even though it is diversifying) it is one of maybe 2 or 3 other places that can support that industry. The other place can't even support itself much less the rest of the country so that makes Houston the lone star (no pun intended) in that area.

New York (Financial)
Washington (Government)
Houston (Energy)

Thank you. He keeps passing the energy industry off as if it's not a vital part of a countries economic and basic infrastructure.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,398,515 times
Quote:

What city is important after NYC? hmm, probably Washington since supposedly that is where the country is run.

New York (Financial)
Washington (Government)
Houston (Energy)

You are giving Houston and DC too much credit, especially Houston.

NYC
LA
CHI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or