U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,133,273 times
Reputation: 1407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are giving Houston and DC too much credit, especially Houston.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's not a popularity contest. We are talking about importance. Infrastructure is a big part of importance.

That said, what I find narrow minded is that fact that you think being the "ENERGY (not JUST oil) Capital of the World" and the combination of Houston's airport and seaport system alone are not vital enough in infrastructure to the of the nation to be in the top 5.

Here is what you said:

"Dominating in ONE field just doesn't cut it if there are other cities that if needed can be built up in that field as well.I mean really why could we not do without Boston?or San Francisco?or Atlanta?or Houston?"

What a lame argument. Of course that's true for every city. If the energy industry wouldn't have developed in Houston of course it would have just developed somewhere else.

First of all we have all already discussed the importance of Houston's seaports, but I will repeat my self encase you have forgotten. The city is #1 in foreign tonnage and #2 in total. Why do you think that is? Well not only does it serve as a major distribution center for oil and natural gas through out country, but also serves as THE major seaport not only to Texas (a state of 25 million), but the I-35 Corridor and parts of the Midwest, Southwest, and Rocky Mountains. It is not only the biggest, but a VITAL port to the infrastructure of a large portion of the country and the entire United States if you consider its oil and natural gas distribution. Good luck getting Louisiana to pick up that slack. I don't need statistic to prove that. And, in addition, is the nation's 8th largest largest airport system, which, BTW, is suppose to increase to 72 million annual passengers by 2015, and 80 million by 2020.

And then there is corporate power. Houston has 29 Fortune 500 Company headquarters, only second to New York. The city also contains 18 of the fastest growing companies in the country. Sense you keep bringing up Forbes list (which if we were going to determine the top 5 most important cities in country based Forbes list, Austin would be #1 fallowed by Portland and Seattle), I do have one of my own:

Future Capitals of the World:

The slide link:

In Pictures: World Capitals Of The Future - Houston and Dallas, Texas - Forbes.com

These energy-rich cities have actually added jobs, spurring a rapid population growth. Last year, Houston and Dallas grew more than any metropolitan regions in the country, and over the past decade their populations have increased at six times the rate of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago or San Francisco. But it's not all a demographic game. The key difference lies with the Texan cities' rising corporate power. Houston, with 27 Fortune 500 firms, has passed Chicago in the number of Fortune 500 companies, while Dallas, with 14, ranks third. Together, the two Texan cities account for about as many Fortune firms as New York, once home to almost a third of the nation's largest companies.

And here is the link for the full article:

World Capitals Of The Future - Forbes.com

Id you notice, many of the cities rising to be supper powers are strong holds in the energy sector. Why? Because with the world population growing at the rate that it is, those cities that are international players in energy are going to become a big part of the worlds future. If Houston is successful in becoming the leader in alternative energy as well (which they are obviously in a good position to do so), well, if you think Houston is booming now....

And I could go on to TMC and there hospitals such as MD Anderson (#1 in caner research and federal funding last year), Texas Children, St Lukes, Memorial Hermann, ext.... but I don't feel like any of this is sinking in. There is a whole host of other impressive facts about Houston that I could give you, but I think this, by it's self is a pretty good cases. Is that good enough for you?
Good but not good enough.My arguments with your input:
1)Energy capital of the World?You sure about that?Really,the whole world?WOW!!Just like we have the World Series yet none of the teams in the rest of the world can compete.
2)You want use Forbes?Yet you don't want to use the the Foreign Policy Report,the Globalization and World Cities Study Group ,Brookings or Pew Research. OMG!! Your biasness is just overwhelming at this point!
3)Are we talking cities or states?How many times you are gonna change the argument when you cannot win it?
4)Atlanta is growing just as fast as DAL/HOU.Its so close in fact that is really even pointless to bring it up.But ONE area of that where Atlanta is growing significantly more is by FOREIGN BORN POPULATION.Europe,Asia,Africa(exclude Mexico)Which do you think adds more to the local economy?Growth from Europe or Mexico(I mean Latin America)
5)
Actually no I have not noticed a pattern of energy cities being more prevalent.Maybe you should stop talking out of your neck and provide a list?
6)
Quote:
What a lame argument. Of course that's true for every city.
Really lame?Maybe what is lame as you still cannot tell me why Houston is more important than Atlanta but not Boston,San Francisco,Chicago,D.C.,or L.A.?Maybe because you CAN"TTalk about lame.
7)We can go on all day by posting articles like Forbes that are not scientific .All of the cities mentioned, rank just as high in different polls.Lets stick to reputable sources with a proven track record using real data.Not talking 300 people on the street to come up with a conclusion.Census figures,Research groups,etc....

You really sound desperate.Keep trying though,you are improving according to me ,the teacher.I give you a .Now run along and go give that to your mama.:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Good but not good enough.My arguments with your input:
1)Energy capital of the World?You sure about that?Really,the whole world?WOW!!Just like we have the World Series yet none of the teams in the rest of the world can compete.
2)You want use Forbes?Yet you don't want to use the the Foreign Policy Report,the Globalization and World Cities Study Group ,Brookings or Pew Research. OMG!! Your biasness is just overwhelming at this point!
3)Are we talking cities or states?How many times you are gonna change the argument when you cannot win it?
4)Atlanta is growing just as fast as DAL/HOU.Its so close in fact that is really even pointless to bring it up.But ONE area of that where Atlanta is growing significantly more is by FOREIGN BORN POPULATION.Europe,Asia,Africa(exclude Mexico)Which do you think adds more to the local economy?Growth from Europe or Mexico(I mean Latin America)
5)
Actually no I have not noticed a pattern of energy cities being more prevalent.Maybe you should stop talking out of your neck and provide a list?
6) Really lame?Maybe what is lame as you still cannot tell me why Houston is more important than Atlanta but not Boston,San Francisco,Chicago,D.C.,or L.A.?Maybe because you CAN"TTalk about lame.
7)We can go on all day by posting articles like Forbes that are not scientific .All of the cities mentioned, rank just as high in different polls.Lets stick to reputable sources with a proven track record using real data.Not talking 300 people on the street to come up with a conclusion.Census figures,Research groups,etc....

You really sound desperate.Keep trying though,you are improving according to me ,the teacher.I give you a .Now run along and go give that to your mama.:
We didn't give ourselves the nickname......

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...07e9ccc08a197a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,133,273 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Good but not good enough.My arguments with your input:
1)Energy capital of the World?You sure about that?Really,the whole world?WOW!!Just like we have the World Series yet none of the teams in the rest of the world can compete.
2)You want use Forbes?Yet you don't want to use the the Foreign Policy Report,the Globalization and World Cities Study Group ,Brookings or Pew Research. OMG!! Your biasness is just overwhelming at this point!
3)Are we talking cities or states?How many times you are gonna change the argument when you cannot win it?
4)Atlanta is growing just as fast as DAL/HOU.Its so close in fact that is really even pointless to bring it up.But ONE area of that where Atlanta is growing significantly more is by FOREIGN BORN POPULATION.Europe,Asia,Africa(exclude Mexico)Which do you think adds more to the local economy?Growth from Europe or Mexico(I mean Latin America)
5)
Actually no I have not noticed a pattern of energy cities being more prevalent.Maybe you should stop talking out of your neck and provide a list?
6) Really lame?Maybe what is lame as you still cannot tell me why Houston is more important than Atlanta but not Boston,San Francisco,Chicago,D.C.,or L.A.?Maybe because you CAN"TTalk about lame.
7)We can go on all day by posting articles like Forbes that are not scientific .All of the cities mentioned, rank just as high in different polls.Lets stick to reputable sources with a proven track record using real data.Not talking 300 people on the street to come up with a conclusion.Census figures,Research groups,etc....

You really sound desperate.Keep trying though,you are improving according to me ,the teacher.I give you a .Now run along and go give that to your mama.:
Dude, get over it. This is not a Houston vs. Atlanta thread.
They both are important but Houston stands alone in its field. What does Atlanta do that no other city is doing on a smaller scale? The only other city that can hold Houston's crown lost it to Houston 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Nice try at what? It was a simple question, all you had to say was either Atlanta or Houston.

What city is important after NYC? hmm, probably Washington since supposedly that is where the country is run.

Enlighten me on why the oil argument is invalid? Turn on the news, oil and money run the world. Oil equates into fuel, plastic, asphalt, electricity, etc. Modern Society revolves around most of this. Atlanta has many reasons to be important to the country, but most of those traits are shared with other cities in the region, more or less the country. Atlanta's strengths are not necessarily unique to Atlanta although it may be the front runner. Even though Houston has one major industry (even though it is diversifying) it is one of maybe 2 or 3 other places that can support that industry. The other place can't even support itself much less the rest of the country so that makes Houston the lone star (no pun intended) in that area.


3 most important cities IMO (in no order)
New York (Financial)
Washington (Government)
Houston (Energy)

^ That is basically what keeps the world turning, more so finance and energy.
Because you cannot prove why it is valid.If you can tell me a good reason why of OIL is Houston more important than Atlanta ,but not D.C.,S.F.,Boston,Chicago,etc..?Not to mention that OIL is only as good as the markets that it serves.No people,no need for oil.Saudi Arabia,Nigeria,U.A.E. all have oil,but are they the most important places on Earth.Sure they are one but,is Dubai more important than NYC?Is Riyadh more important than Paris? Caracas more important than London?

Just because it is called the "Energy capital of the World" means its the most important city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Good but not good enough.My arguments with your input:
1)Energy capital of the World?You sure about that?Really,the whole world?WOW!!Just like we have the World Series yet none of the teams in the rest of the world can compete.
2)You want use Forbes?Yet you don't want to use the the Foreign Policy Report,the Globalization and World Cities Study Group ,Brookings or Pew Research. OMG!! Your biasness is just overwhelming at this point!
3)Are we talking cities or states?How many times you are gonna change the argument when you cannot win it?
4)Atlanta is growing just as fast as DAL/HOU.Its so close in fact that is really even pointless to bring it up.But ONE area of that where Atlanta is growing significantly more is by FOREIGN BORN POPULATION.Europe,Asia,Africa(exclude Mexico)Which do you think adds more to the local economy?Growth from Europe or Mexico(I mean Latin America)
5)Actually no I have not noticed a pattern of energy cities being more prevalent.Maybe you should stop talking out of your neck and provide a list?
6) Really lame?Maybe what is lame as you still cannot tell me why Houston is more important than Atlanta but not Boston,San Francisco,Chicago,D.C.,or L.A.?Maybe because you CAN"TTalk about lame.
7)We can go on all day by posting articles like Forbes that are not scientific .All of the cities mentioned, rank just as high in different polls.Lets stick to reputable sources with a proven track record using real data.Not talking 300 people on the street to come up with a conclusion.Census figures,Research groups,etc....
1) Yes, Houston is the energy capital of the world. Thats not them just blowing smoke, thats actually fact.

2) I agree. If you want to use one list as evidence, you have to be open using others as well. Its important to research the methods these lists use.

4) Atlanta has added more residents than any other Metro area except Dallas/Fort Worth since 2000, but the gap is so close that its irrelevent. Houston is about 100,000 behind both.

As for foreign born population, Atlanta has added more Europeans and Africans to its total than the other two, but more Latinos and Asians have moved to Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston than have moved to Atlanta. But this is sooooooo misleading. You know that DFW and Houston have so many Mexicans that its impossible for either to have a higher percentage of Asians or any other group than Atlanta. Therefore this argument is pointless and baseless.

Atlanta does have the fastest growing Korean community of the three by number, but Asians total, definately not. Given the amount of Latinos in DFW and Houston, you cannot argue by percentage and expect it to be accurate. The only reason for argueing by percentage is to make Atlanta look better.

Heres an article about the Asian Growth since 2000. About 100,000 new Asian residents have come to Dallas/Fort Worth since then. About 50% from 2000 to 2007:

http://www.asianweek.com/2009/07/21/...llasft-worth3/

This article states that Metro Atlanta also had a 50% jump in its Asian population since 2000, only they had a 50% jump from 136,000 whereas DFW had a 50% jump from 191,000.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...21/story6.html

The next article shows that DFW had a larger numeric increase in Asian growth than did Metro Houston. It includes all of the counties from Metro Houston, yet not all the counties from DFW. Still it show DFW with a larger increase (not by a whole hell of a lot, but still 10 years ago it would have been unthinkable):

http://www.swingstateproject.com/sho...o?diaryId=2597

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-12-2009 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Dude, get over it. This is not a Houston vs. Atlanta thread.
They both are important but Houston stands alone in its field. What does Atlanta do that no other city is doing on a smaller scale? The only other city that can hold Houston's crown lost it to Houston 20 years ago.
Strange how now its not a Atl-Hou thread NOW,but when you were making your little snippets,it was game on.Whats the matter? out of a defense?Sounds like it to me DUDE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Dude, get over it. This is not a Houston vs. Atlanta thread.
They both are important but Houston stands alone in its field. What does Atlanta do that no other city is doing on a smaller scale? The only other city that can hold Houston's crown lost it to Houston 20 years ago.
Now see...superior statements like this are exactly the reason that threads take a turn toward Houston vs. Atlanta or any other city. Your question has been answered over and over again, ad nauseum. Nobody is trying to "hold Houston's crown"...Atlanta has it's own crown.

Neither Atlanta nor Houston are really in that #5 spot, though either could be considered for it. I would think that San Francisco or Boston would fit better, with Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and Philadelphia competing for the other 4 spots in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,547 posts, read 7,586,086 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are giving Houston and DC too much credit
Yes, DC is only the capital of the nation. It's not that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,133,273 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Because you cannot prove why it is valid.If you can tell me a good reason why of OIL is Houston more important than Atlanta ,but not D.C.,S.F.,Boston,Chicago,etc..?Not to mention that OIL is only as good as the markets that it serves.No people,no need for oil.Saudi Arabia,Nigeria,U.A.E. all have oil,but are they the most important places on Earth.Sure they are one but,is Dubai more important than NYC?Is Riyadh more important than Paris? Caracas more important than London?

Just because it is called the "Energy capital of the World" means its the most important city in the world.
Get your argument together first. What point are you trying to make?
If I'm correct we're talking about on a national scale so therefore Saudi Arabia, the Emirates and Nigeria don't count.

Did you seriously just ask why Oil in Houston is more important than Atlanta, etc.?

I never said that Boston, Chicago are more important. In my opinion they all fall under New York with the same category. So as long as NYC rules that category the rest are irrelevant in to this conversation IMO.

I chose Houston, NYC, and DC because Energy, Money, and government are what make things possible and those are the 3 leaders for those categories.

Again I ask, What can Atlanta do that nowhere else can? I'm not saying that there isn't, I'm asking you to point them out if there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top