U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
1) Yes, Houston is the energy capital of the world. Thats not them just blowing smoke, thats actually fact.

2) I agree. If you want to use one list as evidence, you have to be open using others as well. Its important to research the methods these lists use.

4) Atlanta has added more residents than any other Metro area except Dallas/Fort Worth since 2000, but the gap is so close that its irrelevent. Houston is about 100,000 behind both.

As for foreign born population, Atlanta has added more Europeans and Africans to its total than the other two, but more Latinos and Asians have moved to Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston than have moved to Atlanta. But this is sooooooo misleading. You know that DFW and Houston have so many Mexicans that its impossible for either to have a higher percentage of Asians or any other group than Atlanta. Therefore this argument is pointless and baseless.

Atlanta does have the fastest growing Korean community of the three by number, but Asians total, definately not. Given the amount of Latinos in DFW and Houston, you cannot argue by percentage and expect it to be accurate. The only reason for argueing by percentage is to make Atlanta look better.
The argument is not to diminish any immigrants roll in society.However if more than HALF of thos eimmigrants come from one area/culture,how can you justify being more so because you have LARGER TOTAL numbers,but not by percentages?That is misleading.There is no way in H** that Houston is more diverse than San Fran, Sacramento,or even Miami.Which according to the numbers is SOOOO MISLEADING!!The argument is not pointless when you can use it to justify Houston being in the ranks of cities like NYC,D.C.,L.A. etc..Give me a break.Talk about pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Again I ask, What can Atlanta do that nowhere else can? I'm not saying that there isn't, I'm asking you to point them out if there are.
Read over some of the threads where people like you have asked that question 100 times before. It gets old typing the answer everytime someone brings it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Get your argument together first. What point are you trying to make?
If I'm correct we're talking about on a national scale so therefore Saudi Arabia, the Emirates and Nigeria don't count.

Did you seriously just ask why Oil in Houston is more important than Atlanta, etc.?

I never said that Boston, Chicago are more important. In my opinion they all fall under New York with the same category. So as long as NYC rules that category the rest are irrelevant in to this conversation IMO.

I chose Houston, NYC, and DC because Energy, Money, and government are what make things possible and those are the 3 leaders for those categories.

Again I ask, What can Atlanta do that nowhere else can? I'm not saying that there isn't, I'm asking you to point them out if there are.
You finally said it.Houston EVERYONE IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN CHICAGO,BOSTON,L.A. SAN FRAN.,and little ole Atlanta.On a national scale when the world is bigger,what would be more important to have?One that is more important to the Nation or to the World?We are talking about Americas cities but how important they are all around,NOT just their reach in the U.S.,but the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,132,305 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Read over some of the threads where people like you have asked that question 100 times before. It gets old typing the answer everytime someone brings it up.
There is a such thing as copy and paste since typing get's old. This game you're playing with me gets old as well. Anyway since some Atlantans are so eager to defend Atlanta even when it's not being attacked you'd think they would love to answer a question like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
There is a such thing as copy and paste since typing get's old. This game you're playing with me gets old as well. Anyway since some Atlantans are so eager to defend Atlanta even when it's not being attacked you'd think they would love to answer a question like that.
That proves your little theory to be incorrect. #1...I don't need lessons on how to use a computer. #2...I don't play games with people. #3...I don't defend anything unless it's being attacked. #4...I don't "love" to answer the same stupid question over and over and over.

I guess I would be angry too if I had to live in New Orleans. It's very depressing, so I totally understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,132,305 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You finally said it.Houston EVERYONE IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN CHICAGO,BOSTON,L.A. SAN FRAN.,and little ole Atlanta.On a national scale when the world is bigger,what would be more important to have?One that is more important to the Nation or to the World?We are talking about Americas cities but how important they are all around,NOT just their reach in the U.S.,but the world.
Umm, the title of this post is "Top 5 most important cities on a national scale. Wow, you seriously have a reading comprehension problem if you think I said that.

See and you wonder why people aren't taking you seriously. Atlanta needs better representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That proves your little theory to be incorrect. #1...I don't need lessons on how to use a computer. #2...I don't play games with people. #3...I don't defend anything unless it's being attacked. #4...I don't "love" to answer the same stupid question over and over and over.

I guess I would be angry too if I had to live in New Orleans. It's very depressing, so I totally understand.
If this isn't deja vu.
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Umm, the title of this post is "Top 5 most important cities on a national scale. Wow, you seriously have a reading comprehension problem if you think I said that.

See and you wonder why people aren't taking you seriously. Atlanta needs better representation.
How ironic that you of all people would make such a statement. Keep representing New Orleans - it's about what I would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,132,305 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How ironic that you of all people would make such a statement. Keep representing New Orleans - it's about what I would expect.
What does the rest of New Orleans have to do with my opinion? How typical of you. I guess I could catch a case of Atlantan inferiouris syndrome (since there's so much of it in this thread and try to prove to the world just how great it is. But no, New Orleans can hold it's on, even for the little it has left. No need to constantly mention what we have and what we can do and why we are better than whoever, although I do spread that New Orleanian pride here and there.

Ok Deacon, I know you just wanted a response from me so take it and be satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Umm, the title of this post is "Top 5 most important cities on a national scale. Wow, you seriously have a reading comprehension problem if you think I said that.

See and you wonder why people aren't taking you seriously. Atlanta needs better representation.



If this isn't deja vu.
Laissez le bon temps rouler!
You obviously cannot comprehend the fact that Global cities are what are the most important types of cities.Think about it.NYC,Boston,Chicago,D.C. all have strong international connections.I have a number to a doctor that sopecializes in Footinmouth Disease Syndrome.If you would like the info its no problem to get you fixed up right away!
Ce n'est pas grave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,132,305 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You obviously cannot comprehend the fact that Global cities are what are the most important types of cities.Think about it.NYC,Boston,Chicago,D.C. all have strong international connections.I have a number to a doctor that sopecializes in Footinmouth Disease Syndrome.If you would like the info its no problem to get you fixed up right away!
Ce n'est pas grave
Sit down... or Stand Up if you are sitting.

and while you are sitting or standing, pick up a dictionary and look up NATIONAL and SCALE.

at this rate, the thread will be closed soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top