U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,509,915 times

Advertisements

Nice post! Tried to rep you but it says I need to spread it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Good post Tmac, just to piggy back on your thoughts I do not have a source for the Top 20 MIT business portion, but I do remember reading the same article (I believe it was in the Economist)

Also according to the Economist 1/3rd of all Venture Capital spending goes to two areas Silicon Valley and Boston.

Here is an interesting article about how far the gap is as far as NIH funding is concerned between Boston and the rest of the nation. Boston has held this position for 6 years straight:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...//pdr_00-4.pdf

As far as Health Care delivery is concerned, Boston is the only city to have two Hospitals ranked on the US News Honor Roll (Top 10 Hospitals in the country) America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Boston is also the Premier Health Insurance Industry city as well, Massachusetts based Health Plans:

Commercial- 3 Plans in the top 10: America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Medicare- 2 Plans in the Top 10:
Best Health Plans Search - US News and World Report

Medicaid - 2 Plans in Top 10:
Best Health Plans Search - US News and World Report

So in addition to being the Education Capital of America (arguably the world) it is also the Research and Health Care capital of the country (once again arguably the world).

Keep in mind that Healthcare expenditures make up 1/6th of our entire countries economy, so the leader (Boston) is that category must have some influence over the nation as a whole.

Also consider that once Health Care reform passes this year, most other Health Care systems will be learning on the fly how to deal with new regulations that they did not have at the state Level before. Massachusetts has had a Universal Health Care law in effect since 2006, so our Health Care systems have still remained at the top of the country even when dealing with a new law in place, once reform passes we will we a mile ahead of other systems around the country and the gap will extend even wider.

Combined that with being the number 3 Finance center in the country after NYC and Chicago and you have quite the powerhouse.

With that being said I will stand by my post earlier which said that the top 5 are (NYC, LA, DC, Chicago and SF) Boston is firmly planted at number 6 and the only other city that can make a case is Houston imo, Atlanta does not even come close.
Agree. It's not as hard as people are making it out to be. Obviously some cities have more Global power than others. Plain and simple.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,189 times
Seriously, these threads are becoming a popular vote.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Agreed. And some people just cannot be convinced to be flexible in their thought process as far as ranking them accordingly.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
What do you mean by that exactly? Just that people are listing cities they're familiar with? I think everyone stating their case has followed up with a good amount of facts to support their argument...

If you disagree with certain rankings, why not join the conversation and explain why you think certain cities should and shouldn't be ranked at certain positions?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well I'm going to try to explain myself at 3am...so I call if I wake up in the morning and regret what I type, I get a second chance! Agree? Ok, I'll take that as a "yes" .

While sarcastically asking whether or not the United States could live without Boston, you mention Harvard and MIT. Well we're talking about national importance, so why not mention the fact that our current president and prior president were both educated at Harvard. Just take a look at Harvard Graduates and how about some guys who didn't quite graduate from Harvard. Whether its US Presidents, foreign presidents, other foreign/local government leaders, or the founders or CEOs of major companies, Harvard has a profound impact...both domestic and foreign. I will need a confirming source from fellow forumer MattCind, but if you combined all the companies founded by MIT graduates, you would have one of the Top 20 Economic Powers on the planet...not too shabby eh? But enough about the two best institutions of higher learning on the planet! You must be getting bored! Let's talk about why Boston is important in other areas!

Let's talk about the Financial Services industry. Boston could arguably be the top Mutual Fund city on the planet considering we're home to MFS, Putnam Investments, Fidelity, State Street Global Advisors, and John Hancock. Not to mention we're the third most powerful Private Equity city on the entire planet behind only New York City and London. State Street Global Advisors also happens to be the second largest money manager on the entire planet, with over $1.7 Trillion under management. Earlier this year Boston was named the #9 Global Financial Centre on the planet by the City of London Corporation. Unfortunately for us, in the second half of the year they have us ranked as the #17 most important financial centre on the planet, tied with San Francisco. It's disappointing to see the drop, but hopefully we'll rebound for the first half of 2010

What about healthcare? Boston is easily the #1 healthcare city in the nation, and could arguably one of the best, if not the best medical research city on the planet. Research hospitals like Dana Farber, Brigham & Womens, Mass General, and Beth Israel headline a list of top-notch medical institutions in Boston which help not only our region, but the entire country and planet.

Boston's power in the Life Sciences industry is undeniable. First off, the Milken Institute rates Boston as the #1 life science cluster in the entire nation. Also, the NIH (National Institutes of Health) gives more funding to Boston than any other city in the entire country. There's a reason Novartis, the highest revenue Pharmaceutical company on the planet, decided to put their World Research Headquarters in Boston. Not to mention other top biotech companies like Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific, and the main Pharma labs of Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories.

Boston also has the fourth highest number of high-tech jobs in the nation behind SF, NYC, and DC. Not too shabby.l

I need sleep, back to prove more in the morning if this wasn't enough to convince you why we're easily a top 5, 6 candidate.
No I was not being sarcastic.I know that Boston is important.However all our cities are important.Some more than others,but still many of them are on a similar level.I knew all the stuff you mentioned prior to this topic.If Harvard was not there,Yale,Princeton or Stanford would be there.If MIT was not there MIT,Cal Tech or GaTech would be there.As far as being a a center for quality healthcare;NYC,Houston,L.A. or Rodchester,MN(Mayo Clinic)would stand in.Venture Capital?Yeh sure Boston is #1 in than regard(at least my personal opinion),but interesting ly enough,many companies their are looking elsewhere,where capital goes further in places like Atlanta.Silicon Valley is also a major hot-spot for V.C. as well.

Anyway, I (or anybody else),would be crazy to deny Boston a place of importance in America.Yet many other cities can make claims of importance as well.
In fact I'm willing to give Boston the #5 spot.The argument is well made for the inclusion of Boston.As I did say 20 pages back,"Boston was a tie with Atlanta",but really it should be Boston.Some say San Fran but id put it at #9 after Atlanta,Dallas,and Houston.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,587,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know.Dang,just playing the "Devil's Advocate".But who says the government has to be in D.C.?
Well, the Constitution for one.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Good point

haha

Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,331,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandyou View Post
well, the constitution for one.
rofl!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or