U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 PM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area (SF and SJ which are effectively one single metro) after Boston, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston (Philly should be thrown into this comparison as well) doesn't seem right to me.

- has a larger population than any of these
- has a greater GDP
- has a greater per capita GDP (than the southern contenders, maybe not Boston)
- hosts several prestigious universities (Berkeley and Stanford being the most well-known) that are competitive in every field when compared to MIT and Harvard, but with Berkeley alone having a larger student population than MIT and Harvard combined
- has the University of California press which is one of the largest and most influential in all of academia
- is a regional center with no other contenders in close proximity (Atlanta has this as well)
- has a higher international and domestic profile (perhaps beaten out by Boston) with a very strong tourism industry and one very well-known and iconic landmark
- has four national laboratories (by far the greatest concentration in the US)
- seat of a federal reserve branch (as are the others save for Houston)
- seat of US court of appeals (as are the others save for Dallas and Houston)
- has a branch of the US Mint (as does Philly)
- is a major banking and financial services center (Wells Fargo is an even greater beast after snatching up a myriad of smaller banks as well as Wachovia)
- is a major port and transit hub (Houston's is bigger)
- ties or switches places with Houston and Chicagoland for second-most Fortune 500 companies all while having a business climate that fosters large numbers of smaller, successful companies
- home to Wikipedia, Google, AMD, Intel, Apple, HP, eBay, Yahoo, Youtube, and many others which are companies which have systematically changed how we process and interact with information and the world
- attracts more venture capital than any US city save for NYC
- is nearly synonymous with progressive politics and is host to various institutions and publications at the forefront of such views (this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is important on a national scale)

These are some of the reasons why I think SF is guaranteed in the top 5. Though a lot of the other cities edge out the Bay Area in certain categories, SF comes out on top overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,463 times
I'd agree if you said the Bay Area as a whole to be in the fifth spot. But because we're talking about cities, San Francisco is lower but still in the top 10.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 AM

517 posts, read 1,155,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I'd agree if you said the Bay Area as a whole to be in the fifth spot. But because we're talking about cities, San Francisco is lower but still in the top 10.
The Bay Area works a little different from the rest of the country. While many regions have only one powerfull city in its metro area the Bay Area has countless cities that are very powerfull.When you talk about SF you have to group in the rest the cities too....its like a package deal out here.The cities are so close together in location that you can't deny the affect they have on eachother.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
- attracts more venture capital than any US city save for NYC
How much venture capital does NYC receive? I thought the top 2 cities in the nation for venture capital were Boston and San Francisco...the stats I've heard about say that those two cities receive 1/3 of all venture capital in the entire nation.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 PM

My mistake, it's Boston and the Bay Area (Silicon Valley specifically), with Silicon Valley usually up by quite a bit. I did do a quick google search and found this

Is Boston Still a Venture Capital Hotbed? - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
The Bay Area works a little different from the rest of the country. While many regions have only one powerfull city in its metro area the Bay Area has countless cities that are very powerfull.When you talk about SF you have to group in the rest the cities too....its like a package deal out here.The cities are so close together in location that you can't deny the affect they have on eachother.
Certainly they have a big influence on each other, more than any other large cities, but this is by city and not metro so I would think that suburbs are ok because they are close enough because they are based off one specific city, but not the Bay Area as a whole.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM

517 posts, read 1,155,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Certainly they have a big influence on each other, more than any other large cities, but this is by city and not metro so I would think that suburbs are ok because they are close enough because they are based off one specific city, but not the Bay Area as a whole.
Actually that really isn't true. Not all suburbs are close to one specific city in the Bay Area. For instance I am located right in the middle of Oakland and San Jose. Neither city has a greater influence over the other city in my suburb. People in my community go to San Jose State, East Bay State (Hayward, near Oakland), and San Francisco State. I have friends who work in San Jose and I have friends who work in SF.

For example Berkeley is right next to Oakland yet it is also 10min across the bridge from SF. Palo Alto home to Stanford University and it is located 25 miles south from SF yet it is also located only 20 miles north from San Jose. You could either fly in from the San Jose airport or SFO and it would be the same. San Mateo is 15 miles south of SF and it's also located right across the bridge from Oakland (17 miles)...basically most Bay Area suburbs are not influenced or based off one specific city. It's a little complicated out here.It's not your simple City-suburb plan like Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Boston.....

Last edited by kcee510; 10-19-2009 at 01:22 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,507,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
My mistake, it's Boston and the Bay Area (Silicon Valley specifically), with Silicon Valley usually up by quite a bit. I did do a quick google search and found this

Is Boston Still a Venture Capital Hotbed? - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com
Damn, that's too bad for us haha.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM

3 billion is still a lot though, and 2nd place is definitely a good spot.

I'd also add for our oil and energy-loving friends that aside from the four national laboratories, two huge research universities, and startups of all kinds, the Bay Area is also home to one of energy supermajors (Houston beats that out with two). Again, the Bay Area may not beat other cities out in every single category, though it does in some, it still remains competitive in a huge variety of fields which should make it a shoe-in for one of the top 5 spots. There's also the harder to measure effects of having such a progressive area open to new ideas of all kinds. If there were a metro with a like-sized GDP and population, the Bay Area would still be more influential because the area does not sit as a placeholder for the status quo. There are constantly new ideas and technologies streaming from the area whose impact is much greater and more systematic.

And yes, SF is a small city so if we limited the argument to specifically within the city limits, then SF certainly can not rank in the top 5. However, going by city limits is arbitrary and tosses the physical reality of an integrated and interconnected Bay Area aside.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-19-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 AM

11,739 posts, read 8,303,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Nice post! Tried to rep you but it says I need to spread it around.
"There are 25,800 currently active companies founded by MIT alumni in the world that employ about 3.3 million people and generate annual world sales of $2 trillion, producing the equivalent of the eleventh-largest economy in the world."
-Kaufmann Center For Entrepreneurship-

Companies started by MIT alum:
Intel
Hewlett Packard
Raytheon
Texas Instruments
McDonnell Douglas
E*Trade
Koch Industries
Sepracor
Teradyne
Qualcomm
Genentech
AOL
Symantec
Gillette
3Com Corp.
Akamai
Millennium Pharmaceuticals
Rockwell International
EMC
Thermoelectron
Campbell Soup Co.
Arthur D. Little
National Semiconductor
Amgen
Bose
Northeastern University
Kodak
Polaroid
etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or