Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yeh we know,YOU sound like a broken record:Houston is the CEnter of the world importance because of OIL
Hey gang would you take your frivolous Hou vs ATl squabble and cram it with walnuts. Leave this thread for the "Most important cities on a national scale." Cities/metro like Philadlephia.

I must admit these upstart sunbelt metroes amuse me quite a bit but enough is enough.

Metropolitan Philadlephia Market Power

USA's 4th highest gross metro product(MSA) in 2009.
8th largest MSA GDP in the World.
5th largest total personal income.
4th largest media market.
A major economic force with a total 2009 population of 6.1 million people and total employment in 2009 of 3.0 million jobs despite being 1/2 the geographical size of the sunbelt metroes.
2nd largest on the East Coast in terms of employment, population and income.
5th largest metropolitan region in the U.S. population, following only New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas.
According to Claritas*, the 2nd highest population and income located within a 200-mile radius in 2009.
Families living within a 200-mile radius have the 2nd highest average income among the 12 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas.
92 Universities
300,000 College students.
Birthplace of the USA.
TOp 5 in metropolitan population(MSA) from 1790-2010. 70% of that time span it was either 1 or 2.

Can I get a little respect here? Give me a break with these 10,000 sq mile never ending sprawling poptart metroes.

Atla brought forth northern Ga. Houston conceived SE Tex. Philadelphia spawned the United States

Give me a break. Are you serious with putting Atl and Hous above Philadlephia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
I did not say it that way.You just cannot realize that.There are other places that could after a short time that could refine oil like Houston.Just a set back.Ill deal with you later I gotta get to work.
I'm just showing you that Atlanta doesn't have this type of impact on the nation when something happens to it. Lots of the refineries along the gulf of Mexico were shut down. Mostly in the Houston area though.

Houston is already diversifying its economy and has been ever since the bust. TMC is our largest employer; in talks of a Biotech park, trying to get into the tourism market, and more.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Hey gang would you take your frivolous Hou vs ATl squabble and cram it with walnuts. Leave this thread for the "Most important cities on a national scale." Cities/metro like Philadlephia.

I must admit these upstart sunbelt metroes amuse me quite a bit but enough is enough.

Metropolitan Philadlephia Market Power

USA's 4th highest gross metro product(MSA) in 2009.
8th largest MSA GDP in the World.
5th largest total personal income.
4th largest media market.
A major economic force with a total 2009 population of 6.1 million people and total employment in 2009 of 3.0 million jobs despite being 1/2 the geographical size of the sunbelt metroes.
2nd largest on the East Coast in terms of employment, population and income.
5th largest metropolitan region in the U.S. population, following only New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas.
According to Claritas*, the 2nd highest population and income located within a 200-mile radius in 2009.
Families living within a 200-mile radius have the 2nd highest average income among the 12 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas.
92 Universities
300,000 College students.
Birthplace of the USA.
TOp 5 in metropolitan population(MSA) from 1790-2010. 70% of that time span it was either 1 or 2.

Can I get a little respect here? Give me a break with these 10,000 sq mile never ending sprawling poptart metroes.

Atla brought forth northern Ga. Houston conceived SE Tex.

Philadelphia spawned the United States

Nothing you've stated shows how Philly ranks over the others besides GDP.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
sense you can't seem to do math, I'll do it for you:

12+12=24

24 < 26

24 < 28

And as for the population, all of those list's are estimates. We wont know for sure until the 2010 census come's out.
Since when is it necessary to be insulting?

How is that twice the corporate power? The Fortune 500 and 1000 doesn't list things that aren't incorporated or don't make their earnings publicly available (Cox Communications? Research Universities/Institutes?) nor does it take into account how powerful branch offices or subsidiaries are nor does it list the many large companies that are just off the cut-off point (#501? #1001?). The fact that Atlanta is ranked among or above these other cities in studies by actual research institutes and that it has a similar metro gdp and population size makes it unlikely that your rough estimate of "twice the corporate power" is true.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Since when is it necessary to be insulting?

How is that twice the corporate power? The Fortune 500 and 1000 doesn't list things that aren't incorporated or don't make their earnings publicly available (Cox Communications? Research Universities/Institutes?) nor does it take into account how powerful branch offices or subsidiaries are nor does it list the many large companies that are just off the cut-off point (#501? #1001?). The fact that Atlanta is ranked among or above these other cities in studies by actual research institutes and that it has a similar metro gdp and population size makes it unlikely that your rough estimate of "twice the corporate power" is true.
Yeah your right, that was a little mean. I haven't been getting much sleep over the past week. It hasn't been a good week for me in general and now I'm taking it out CD

I apologize for being rude.

But, unless I'm miss quoting myself, I did say that it has twice the corporate power which Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 would support that statement.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
As I told you before,that is from 2005.the figures I gave you the link to are clearly from 2008.Atlanta foreign born Asian(international)population is growing at a much faster rate than Houston or Dallas).things change all the time.
Here is youre final proof that Atlanta does NOT have more Asians than DFW or Houston.

Wapedia - Wiki: Asian American

It lists all the metro areas with more than 250,000 Asians as of 2007.

Metro Houston: 324,012
DFW Metroplex: 299,082
Atlanta: ...didnt make the list.

Unless that you would like to make the claim that Atlanta has had 50,000 brand new asians since 2007. The largest numeric gain on the list is NYC with just over 4,000.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Here is youre final proof that Atlanta does NOT have more Asians than DFW or Houston.

Wapedia - Wiki: Asian American

It lists all the metro areas with more than 250,000 Asians as of 2007.

Metro Houston: 324,012
DFW Metroplex: 299,082
Atlanta: ...didnt make the list.

lol you shook me. I was reading through the cities and their Asian populations and got to Atlanta and saw that. Caught me off guard.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yeah your right, that was a little mean. I haven't been getting much sleep over the past week. It hasn't been a good week for me in general and now I'm taking it out CD

I apologize for being rude.

But, unless I'm miss quoting myself, I did say that it has twice the corporate power which Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 would support that statement.
Apology accepted.

Yea, I just don't think doubling the number of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies equate to twice the corporate power for the various reasons listed. I understand what you mean to say, but there are flaws in using the Fortune lists especially in light of other data on economic productivity.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
As if the entire northeast isn't a bunch of sprawl? Just saying...

I will agree with you that this thread has gotten out of control with the Atlanta vs Houston vs DFW. But no need to insult...

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:

Ohhhhhh....pay attention to me! Pay attention to me! Respect me!

The GaWC seems to think DFW, Houston, and Atlanta are contribute more to the global economy than Philly.

http://www.answers.com/topic/global-city#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City