Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Stability is important to the city regionally, but how does that benefit the nation and the world? You could have the most stable economy in the entire country, but what about nationally contribution by Dallas should someone in Boston care about?
Dallas Cowboys. Everyone likes the Cowboys right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
I can see a case made for Houston over Dallas, but not the other way around. I've heard Dallas people claim their importance in oil, but I've never seen any proof of it. Is there any way we can get facts for a head-to-head comparison between Dallas & Houston flexing their oil power so we can get to the bottom of this?

Other than that, what does Dallas have? LAnative, you claim Dallas is bigger than Houston in finance, but it doesn't rank in the Top 8 for the continent or the Top 75 in the world (see p.19)...so I don't think you could consider Dallas' financial services power to be a contributing factor to their national importance.

I don't know much about Dallas, so I wouldn't mind someone educating me on their strong points, but after doing a little bit of research it seems they've got a lot of telecom cos in the Metroplex area, along with a great number of retail HQs.

JLuke, you mention Biotechnology as Houston's strengths, but what is there in Houston for biotech? I know TMC is there for medical research, but what private companies are located in the Houston area which would show the regions biotech power?
6.5 million residents and the fastest growing metro area since 2000. Dallas/Fort Worth has one of the most diverse economy in the country. May I point something that people in genearl do not know. Fort Worth is a big military town. They don't have "Fort" for nothing. Carswell Air Force Base, Lockheed Martin, & Bell Helicopter.

List of Fortune 500 companies in DFW region.
2 Exxon Mobil (Irving)
10 AT&T (Dallas)

105 AMR Corporation (Fort Worth)[1] 108 Electronic Data Systems (Plano)
118 JC Penney (Plano)
140 Kimberly-Clark (Irving)
162 D.R. Horton (Fort Worth)
167 Texas Instruments (Dallas)
169 Fluor Corp. (Irving)
171 Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (Fort Worth)
175 Centex (Dallas)
216 Dean Foods (Dallas)
228 TXU (Dallas)
236 Tenet Healthcare (Dallas)
300 Southwest Airlines (Dallas)[2]
329 Commercial Metals (Irving)
347 Energy Transfer Partners (Dallas)
356 Celanese (Dallas)
366 Blockbuster Inc. (Dallas)
423 Radio Shack (Fort Worth)
430 Atmos Energy (Dallas)
432 Triad Hospitals (Plano)
471 Affiliated Computer Services (Dallas)
487 Comerica (Dallas)
499 Brinker International (Dallas)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...allas/Ft.Worth

Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Stability is important to the city regionally, but how does that benefit the nation and the world? You could have the most stable economy in the entire country, but what national contribution by Dallas should someone in Boston care about?
The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a coporate powerhouse. They have a lot of HQ's that have offices all over the country and the world. As the HQ goes, the rest of the company with offices in cities like Boston go.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
I can see a case made for Houston over Dallas, but not the other way around. I've heard Dallas people claim their importance in oil, but I've never seen any proof of it. Is there any way we can get facts for a head-to-head comparison between Dallas & Houston flexing their oil power so we can get to the bottom of this?

Other than that, what does Dallas have? LAnative, you claim Dallas is bigger than Houston in finance, but it doesn't rank in the Top 8 for the continent or the Top 75 in the world (see p.19)...so I don't think you could consider Dallas' financial services power to be a contributing factor to their national importance.

I don't know much about Dallas, so I wouldn't mind someone educating me on their strong points, but afthttp://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11072652er doing a little bit of research it seems they've got a lot of telecom cos in the Metroplex area, along with a great number of retail HQs.

JLuke, you mention Biotechnology as Houston's strengths, but what is there in Houston for biotech? I know TMC is there for medical research, but what private companies are located in the Houston area which would show the regions biotech power?
Well you have groups pushing from bringing in Biotech and also in talks is a biotech park. Here's a few links

Nano World Headquarters

BioHouston - Establishing Houston as a Strong Global Competitor in Life Science and Biotechnology Co

Nano World Headquarters Positioned to Boost U.... ( Nanotechnology Center Planned to Spur...)

This is also a list of companies located in Houston:

List of companies in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a coporate powerhouse. They have a lot of HQ's that have offices all over the country and the world. As the HQ goes, the rest of the company with offices in cities like Boston go.
Man I am going back to the DFW forum. We are one of the few people that know what DFW has to offer. We seem to be the only two from the Metroplex that comment on the national thread. I try to hold DFW down and give people a accurate view of what DFW has to offer but this becomes tiresome.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Man I am going back to the DFW forum. We are one of the few people that know what DFW has to offer. We seem to be the only two from the Metroplex that comment on the national thread. I try to hold DFW down and give people a accurate view of what DFW has to offer but this becomes tiresome.
No one never doubted what Dallas has, but to downplay the importance of oil is crazy. Dallas has nothing that can compete with that.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
What national contribution coming out of Boston would someone in Dallas care about? It truly works both ways...both are important U.S. cities, but neither has a sphere of influence over the other.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No one never doubted what Dallas has, but to downplay the importance of oil is crazy. Dallas has nothing that can compete with that.
No, when we speak of oil Dallas cannot compete with Houston. Still Dallas is the number 2 oil city in the US behind Houston. That counts for something.

I stand firm that both cities have areas that they are most important in over the other.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Here goes another thread that's Dallas vs. Houston. These aren't in the top 5.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Here goes another thread that's Dallas vs. Houston. These aren't in the top 5.
And pray tell...what would your top 5 be?

I definately think Houston is a good canidate for #5 given it is the Oil and Energy capital of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City