Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:11 PM

145 posts, read 687,721 times

Advertisements

#1 California: because it has tons of agriculture, technology, industries etc...)
#2 new york: for its massive industries and influence
#3 Alaska: for all its oil fish and other natural resources
#4 Texas: kinda the same as Alaska but less of it
#5 Washington: great technology, industries, and a decent amount of fishing agriculture coal and other materials.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
#1 California: because it has tons of agriculture, technology, industries etc...)
#2 new york: for its massive industries and influence
#3 Alaska: for all its oil fish and other natural resources
#4 Texas: kinda the same as Alaska but less of it#5 Washington: great technology, industries, and a decent amount of fishing agriculture coal and other materials.
Are you serious? Texas is more than just oil, fish, or other natural resources. There are other aspects of the industry that Texas is powerful in such as technology, trade, produce, agriculture, farming, and more. I have nothing against Alaska but it is not above Texas or even Illinois, Florida, or Georgia.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you serious? Texas is more than just oil, fish, or other natural resources. There are other aspects of the industry that Texas is powerful in such as technology, trade, produce, agriculture, farming, and more. I have nothing against Alaska but it is not above Texas or even Illinois, Florida, or Georgia.
u realy dont understand how important alaska is o.o. they suply most of the west coast with energy and ye ye i know about texases industries but its not as important to the country as all the oil trees fish etc that alaska gives. yes all those states have much higher gdp's and stuff but they dont have as big as an impact to the country that alaska does.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo<3seattle<3 View Post
u realy dont understand how important alaska is o.o. they suply most of the west coast with energy and ye ye i know about texases industries but its not as important to the country as all the oil trees fish etc that alaska gives. yes all those states have much higher gdp's and stuff but they dont have as big as an impact to the country that alaska does.
Alaska is important in those reguards, but not nearly to the degree Texas is.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Alaska is important in those reguards, but not nearly to the degree Texas is.
im still not sure :S....il give them a tie.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 AM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
1. California
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Illinois
5. A battle between the great lake states

Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,138 times
Think this lines up pretty well to population.

1) Cal- economy larger than most nations, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, center of innovation in culture and economics. Even politics: environmental regulation, anti-tax, gay rights, etc.

2) Tex- 2nd largest state. Major center of "red" America: social conservatism, pro-big business.
Leading center of international trade and technology. Important energy center.

3) NY- home to NYC. Leading global center of many elite activities: finance, media, arts. Sort of like Great Britain. Remains wealth, dynamic state, but gradually becoming less important. No longer the "empire" it once was.

4) Florida- Hard to think of an area where that state really excels in an "important" field. But, the state is massive and, despite recent troubles, growing. Likely will overtake NY in next 10 years. Miami is a major hub for Latin American trade, as well as fashion.

5) Illinois- Home to Chicago. 2nd largest financial center. Major center of trade and commerce. Historically major cultural center: Jazz, Literature. Pretty good universities as well. Chicago is one of the most influential universities in world, especially in economics. Milton Friedman, "Chicago Boys", etc. Oprah, Jesse Jackson, and sometimes Obama.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_t View Post
1. California
2. New york
3. Texas
4. Illinois
5. .........?
?????????= Pennsylvania. . I'd maybe switch Pa. with Illinois. IMHO.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
I don't know which states are the most important, but I can tell you which is the least important--Georgia, where I live. I mean I'm so damn unimportant that I drank myself into a stupor today because I couldn't take the emotional pain. Our lives are so inconsequential that I hope we get hit in the next terrorist attack first in order to spare our more important brethren elsewhere in the country. Maybe that's why we have so many car wrecks down here because we really are that expendable. Why drive safely when you're easily replaceable?

I'm sorry for rambling, but I just needed a pick-me-up. I should stop typing and get back to this bottle where I can drown in my unimportant sorrows and plot out the rest of my trivial week. If I could only be just a little more important...

Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois. And I will add Virginia because of northern VA's proximity to the Federal jobs there and in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City