U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,686,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas and Houston are conservative in a fiscal sense, but the cities are socially as liberal as any other city i've been to. I guess thats a good fit for me because i'm fiscally conservative and vote socially liberal.
I agree, Houston and Dallas never struck me as Socially Conservative. Those 2 always struck me as strictly FISCALLY Conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,591,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmNotFat View Post
Isn't Cincinnati really conservative. I would think that's the largest conservative city.

Not at all. It's pretty democratic. Yes, Hamilton county usually votes Republican. But it voted 53-46 Obama. The City has a lot of African-Americans. I say it's a pretty moderate city.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,893,351 times
Five cities most often listed as conservative here, which I believe aren't really. (In alphabetical order)

Dallas, Texas
Kansas City, Missouri
Either Houston or Memphis
Nashville, Tennessee
Salt Lake City, Utah

Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,201,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Five cities most often listed as conservative here, which I believe aren't really. (In alphabetical order)

Dallas, Texas
Kansas City, Missouri
Either Houston or Memphis
Nashville, Tennessee
Salt Lake City, Utah
They all voted Democratic in the last national election.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
They all voted Democratic in the last national election.
Yup, that's why I stated "which aren't really" meaning I don't think they are conservative, but I see them on lists for "conservative cities" on this thread. It's a bit meta/in-reference to the thread so far.

Dallas might be the closest to debatable there as I believe it does have a Republican mayor and Dallas County seems to have went for the GOP Presidential candidate from 1968 to 2004. However socially it's pretty liberal and as you say it went for Obama.

Kansas City has not had a Republican mayor since 1991 and has reportedly only had four in the last 100 years. Although it has some pretty conservative suburbs the core-area of Jackson County, Missouri/Wyandotte County, Kansas hasn't went for a GOP Presidential candidate since Nixon in 1972. Although not as big as Dallas's it has a fairly viable gay community.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c14.html

Although Davidson County went for Reagan Nashville generally seems to go Democratic in the last 40 years or more. I'm not sure when their last Republican mayor was, but it looks like decades ago.

Salt Lake City has not had a Republican mayor since the 1970s by the looks of it. However listing its metro as conservative might not be quite as silly as I thought because Salt Lake County went for Obama by only a thin margin and the county usually seems to go for the GOP candidate for POTUS, albeit by thinner margins than much of the state.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:34 AM

18,592 posts, read 26,949,282 times
To be fair though, this is the first Republican mayor Dallas has had for quite a while. While Dallas County went to bush in 2004, it was by 1% and Kerry won the city of Dallas. 57%-42% for Obama in 2008 is solid democratic to me.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM

139 posts, read 176,249 times
I realise that this is a very subjective thread, but I find that most American cities on the coasts tend to fit the American definition of "liberal".

Liberal vs. Conservative. The terms are arbitrary especially when one compares the U.S. to the U.K.

Even the most ardently "conservative" members of Parliament in Britain would never touch the NHS (The British health care system). Nor would they oppose gay rights, another third rail topic in the U.S.

Health Care in Britain and in most Western Countries is seen as a necessity for members of a healthy democracy. Sick people are not productive citizens. I find it peculiar when conservative Americans attack the public option as a liberal cause when in many ways it would allow for "the pursuit of happiness", a basic tenet of the American Declaration of Independence.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,201,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
I realise that this is a very subjective thread, but I find that most American cities on the coasts tend to fit the American definition of "liberal".

Liberal vs. Conservative. The terms are arbitrary especially when one compares the U.S. to the U.K.

Even the most ardently "conservative" members of Parliament in Britain would never touch the NHS (The British health care system). Nor would they oppose gay rights, another third rail topic in the U.S.

Health Care in Britain and in most Western Countries is seen as a necessity for members of a healthy democracy. Sick people are not productive citizens. I find it peculiar when conservative Americans attack the public option as a liberal cause when in many ways it would allow for "the pursuit of happiness", a basic tenet of the American Declaration of Independence.
Excellent point. Europe is light years ahead of the United States in so many ways. The fact that the Tea Party actually wants to do away with Social Security shows that some Americans are not only reactionary but downright dumb and are an embarrassment to the nation.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Excellent point. Europe is light years ahead of the United States in so many ways. The fact that the Tea Party actually wants to do away with Social Security shows that some Americans are not only reactionary but downright dumb and are an embarrassment to the nation.
I agree on the extreme libertarianism of some in the Tea Party. The idea of undoing everything FDR did is rather unrealistic and weird.

On health-care I think an argument could be made that for the British going after NHS would not be conservative whereas opposing the creation of a public option here is conservative. The NHS was established and accepted by even Thatcher's time, I believe, but the Obama health-care system is something new for us. So it would be more analogous to check how the Conservative/Tory Party voted on the creation of the NHS. I believe some of them did oppose.

Granted this means people like the Tea Party are not conservative and I'd agree on that. Although I am Pro-Life/Anti-Choice I might agree in some sense that that is not "conservative" for my society as abortion has become at least somewhat established.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM

139 posts, read 176,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I agree on the extreme libertarianism of some in the Tea Party. The idea of undoing everything FDR did is rather unrealistic and weird.

On health-care I think an argument could be made that for the British going after NHS would not be conservative whereas opposing the creation of a public option here is conservative. The NHS was established and accepted by even Thatcher's time, I believe, but the Obama health-care system is something new for us. So it would be more analogous to check how the Conservative/Tory Party voted on the creation of the NHS. I believe some of them did oppose.

Granted this means people like the Tea Party are not conservative and I'd agree on that. Although I am Pro-Life/Anti-Choice I might agree in some sense that that is not "conservative" for my society as abortion has become at least somewhat established.
But doesn't it strike you as odd that many conservatives want "less" government intrusion, but they have no issues creating legislation to oppose same-sex marriage and place restrictions on abortions?

Either one wants the government to stay out of all aspects of private life or else he/she is not truly anti-government. One can't pick and choose based on your morals when the government has the right to intervene and still be called a Libertarian. This hypocrisy is what frustrates me about American politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or