U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,689,461 times

Advertisements

Florida's a middle of the road state, which is starting to lean a little blue. But overall it's the ULTIMATE swing state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 AM

124 posts, read 404,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Most of those who vote Dem in places like Detroit, NYC or Boston do so because they support the social programs like welfare and such there, not because of Liberal agendas like gay amrriage, global warming and such like cities like SF, Portland and Seattle do
It sounds like you're splitting the liberal vote into different social issues. But nonetheless both agendas you mentioned are liberal agendas. A liberal may or may not support gay marriage, welfare, or any other social issue but they tend to track with the definition of liberal political ideology. African Americans may not be a large supporter of gay marriage but do gay or gay friendly men/women who tend to have higher incomes largely support welfare? Its just impossible to qualify the liberal populus based on certain issues and thus is why we have a study as posted earlier.
As a black Democrat who would fit into the upper income category, I strongly disagree with this idea that black people vote Democratic because of welfare programs. First of all, more than 75 percent of black people in the US do not live below the poverty level, which means that they generally don't benefit from these programs. My hunch is that most black welfare recipients are probably much less likely to vote than middle class blacks anyway. The reality is that most black voters feel that the Republican party as a whole is racist and essentially works against their best interests. This does not mean that blacks think that all Republicans are racist, but rather that the Republican party leadership seems to continually focus on issues that aim to paint folks who are not in the white heterosexual majority as threats to American society at large. In election after election, as they endeavor to motivate white voters to coalesce behind their agenda, the Republicans bombard us with issues such as the scary black criminal threat (ala Willie Horton), the welfare queen threat, the affirmative action threat, the gay marriage threat, the illegal immigrant invasion, the islamic takeover threat and so on and so on. This is a big turnoff to most black people, who in many instances vote against their own personal self interests with the aim of defeating the Republicans who they view as being extremely antagonistic toward them and other minorities.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
hrrm...

I think there is a diff between liberal...

as for socially liberal...

I'd go with

San Francisco
Portland
Seattle
Boston
maybe LA/Miami ..

now for just liberal in general, you'll probably have Detroit or DC in the mix...

for conservative cities I'd go with

OKC
Tulsa
Kansas City
Colorado Springs
Birmingham

could be missing a few...

Another interseting one would be conservatively dressed cities...

Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,971,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas doesnt belong on the top 5 of either list. Its not completely liberal or conservative.
Same as Atlanta, By no means is it one of the most conservative or liberal. But is one of the gayest cities in the US.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,725,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
Most of the Cubans here are extremely Conservative, so yes.
The Cuban stronghold is in Hialeah, not Miami, so no.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,725,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida's a middle of the road state, which is starting to lean a little blue. But overall it's the ULTIMATE swing state.
For the next decade, I think you'll see FL, NC and VA as the swing states to watch.

In the future, I expect GA and Texas move into that category too.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,601,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
For the next decade, I think you'll see FL, NC and VA as the swing states to watch.

In the future, I expect GA and Texas move into that category too.
Actually I'd add Texas up there with FL,NC, and VA. A report was put out that TX was actually more liberal than NC percentage wise.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141677/Wy...-States.aspx#2

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 09-26-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,203,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually I'd add Texas up there with FL,NC, and VA. A report was put out that TX was actually more liberal than NC percentage wise.

Wyoming, Mississippi, Utah Rank as Most Conservative States
The liberal potential for Texas is definitely a factor that worries the GOP to no end; it is just a matter of time that intelligence overcomes Bible-belt ignorance.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,895,589 times
Yup. There are plenty of states outside "The Bible Belt" that tend to vote Republican or conservative. Wyoming is one of the more irreligious states and it's like the most conservative. Likewise there are smart people in "The Bible Belt."

Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,706,691 times
I know smart people who are devoutly religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or