U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
 
170 posts, read 148,215 times
Reputation: 129
Most liberal:

1. Detroit
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. tie between New Yoek and LA

Most conservative:

1. Colorado Springs
2. Tulsa
3. Oklahoma City
4. Omaha
5. Des Moines

I disagree with Indianapolis being among the most conservative. Its more like half and half, because the City-County Council and registered voters in Marion County are split evenly when it comes to party affiliation. In fact, Indy is becoming a bit more open minded in social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
 
170 posts, read 148,215 times
Reputation: 129
Whoever thinks Dallas is one of the most conservative cities needs to get out more. Dallas is one of the most liberal cities in Texas, next to Austin.

And Indianapolis is half and half, but more open minded than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,330 posts, read 9,862,385 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Whoever thinks Dallas is one of the most conservative cities needs to get out more. Dallas is one of the most liberal cities in Texas, next to Austin.
Forget it, man. Because it's Texas and NOT Austin, that perception will stick.

I guess it's easier to think in stereotypes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,720 posts, read 2,888,772 times
Reputation: 1559
Dallas seemed pretty conservative when i went out their. No offense. Austin seemed very liberal same with houston and san antonio but dallas is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,330 posts, read 9,862,385 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Dallas seemed pretty conservative when i went out their.
You were in the north side most the time, weren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,163 posts, read 949,605 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Most liberal:

1. Detroit
2. Boston
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. tie between New Yoek and LA

Most conservative:

1. Colorado Springs
2. Tulsa
3. Oklahoma City
4. Omaha
5. Des Moines

I disagree with Indianapolis being among the most conservative. Its more like half and half, because the City-County Council and registered voters in Marion County are split evenly when it comes to party affiliation. In fact, Indy is becoming a bit more open minded in social issues.
Omaha wouldn't be one of the most conservative. Omaha's electoral vote actually went to Obama in 2008 since Nebraska can split electoral votes by district and has had a dem mayor since 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,720 posts, read 2,888,772 times
Reputation: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You were in the north side most the time, weren't you?
Yep the Plano, Garland, Richardson area! We actually lived on the northside for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM
 
Location: 75025 (previously 75254, 90505, 90010, and 60614)
10,149 posts, read 10,489,897 times
Reputation: 6566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Yep the Plano, Garland, Richardson area! We actually lived on the northside for two years.
That settles it. Those are very conservative areas. Its not a bad thing, I live in Plano and love it and Im liberal.

The city of Dallas itself and most of Dallas county is pretty liberal. Its not top 5 in the US liberal, but its on par with other cities like Atlanta or Houston in its liberalness. Austin is a different kind of liberal. Its more like Portland liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
 
2,747 posts, read 2,074,297 times
Reputation: 1236
The donut counties of Indianapolis are very conservative. The exception would be Hamilton county which can get pretty liberal when it comes to Indianapolis paying for it (public transportation) then there's no limit or amenity they would forego. Marion county itself is straight down the middle at this point and I include all of Marion county because everyone votes for Indianapolis mayor including the excluded towns and everyone is included on the City Common council even though the excludeds have their own mayors and councils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
10,330 posts, read 9,862,385 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Yep the Plano, Garland, Richardson area! We actually lived on the northside for two years.
Called it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top