U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2015, 04:56 PM
 
29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Reputation: 18084

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Columbia is close but I'm not buying Greenville as a stand alone against Tulsa. Simply because for Greenville to get to the size of Tulsa you have to include about 10 counties and a million towns in the up state.
Not true; Greenville's MSA is larger than Columbia's and they have about the same number of counties. You're thinking of the CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,113,815 times
Reputation: 4339
According to wiki, Columbia's urban area is about 150K souls larger than Greenville's. I see it as SC's largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,647 posts, read 6,085,887 times
Reputation: 5904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
According to wiki, Columbia's urban area is about 150K souls larger than Greenville's. I see it as SC's largest city.
Again, I think we are having to consider the type of cities these 3 are (realizing that Charlotte is on another level or two above Tulsa).

If we look at other things besides the populations I can make my case a little bit better. For instance, Tulsa has 400K in the city of Tulsa itself. Columbia, 135K, Greenville 60K so it's obvious that Tulsa is more of a "city" at it's core and less suburban than the two cities in SC.

Secondly, if we look at Tulsa's downtown they have 10 buildings listed as "skyscrapers", while Columbia and Greenville have 2 between them. Furthermore, Tulsa's 10th tallest building is as tall or taller as the tallest building in either SC city.

The economic engine in Tulsa is ranked around 55th in the country, Columbia is about 70th, and Greenville is about 85th. The combined GDP of Columbia and Greenville is about about 15% higher than Tulsa. Yet Tulsa headquarters 3 fortune 500 companies, while there aren't any in the SC towns.

All I am saying that Tulsa seems larger than Columbia and for sure more so than Greenville in terms of what one looks for in measuring an urban area.

But obviously, I can't argue against the population numbers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM
 
29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Reputation: 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
According to wiki, Columbia's urban area is about 150K souls larger than Greenville's. I see it as SC's largest city.
True, but Greenville's UA figure is misleading because the Mauldin-Simpsonville area, which is 100% suburban Greenville, has its own UA although its completely connected to Greenville's: http://www.steelecreekresidents.org/...%20Upstate.jpg

So with Mauldin-Simpsonville added to Greenville's figure, it has a more accurate UA population of 521K. Columbia's is 550K and Charleston's is right behind it at 548K. So for all intents and purposes, all three are roughly the same size, although built differently. Greenville has the smallest core so it doesn't feel quite as large as Columbia and Charleston do in that respect, but in reality it's just as large overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM
 
29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Reputation: 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Again, I think we are having to consider the type of cities these 3 are (realizing that Charlotte is on another level or two above Tulsa).

If we look at other things besides the populations I can make my case a little bit better. For instance, Tulsa has 400K in the city of Tulsa itself. Columbia, 135K, Greenville 60K so it's obvious that Tulsa is more of a "city" at it's core and less suburban than the two cities in SC.

Secondly, if we look at Tulsa's downtown they have 10 buildings listed as "skyscrapers", while Columbia and Greenville have 2 between them. Furthermore, Tulsa's 10th tallest building is as tall or taller as the tallest building in either SC city.

The economic engine in Tulsa is ranked around 55th in the country, Columbia is about 70th, and Greenville is about 85th. The combined GDP of Columbia and Greenville is about about 15% higher than Tulsa. Yet Tulsa headquarters 3 fortune 500 companies, while there aren't any in the SC towns.

All I am saying that Tulsa seems larger than Columbia and for sure more so than Greenville in terms of what one looks for in measuring an urban area.

But obviously, I can't argue against the population numbers though.
Tulsa is larger than both, but it is closer in size to Columbia and Greenville than it is to Charlotte.

And SC has very restrictive annexation, so the populations of its cities is misleading. Greenville, at only 26 square miles, is probably the best example for that, considering how small the municipal population is relative to the UA and MSA population figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,447 posts, read 12,222,798 times
Reputation: 3579
Originally Posted by eddie gein
Again, I think we are having to consider the type of cities these 3 are (realizing that Charlotte is on another level or two above Tulsa).

If we look at other things besides the populations I can make my case a little bit better. For instance, Tulsa has 400K in the city of Tulsa itself. Columbia, 135K, Greenville 60K so it's obvious that Tulsa is more of a "city" at it's core and less suburban than the two cities in SC.

Secondly, if we look at Tulsa's downtown they have 10 buildings listed as "skyscrapers", while Columbia and Greenville have 2 between them. Furthermore, Tulsa's 10th tallest building is as tall or taller as the tallest building in either SC city.

The economic engine in Tulsa is ranked around 55th in the country, Columbia is about 70th, and Greenville is about 85th. The combined GDP of Columbia and Greenville is about about 15% higher than Tulsa. Yet Tulsa headquarters 3 fortune 500 companies, while there aren't any in the SC towns.

All I am saying that Tulsa seems larger than Columbia and for sure more so than Greenville in terms of what one looks for in measuring an urban area.

But obviously, I can't argue against the population numbers though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tulsa is larger than both, but it is closer in size to Columbia and Greenville than it is to Charlotte.

And SC has very restrictive annexation, so the populations of its cities is misleading. Greenville, at only 26 square miles, is probably the best example for that, considering how small the municipal population is relative to the UA and MSA population figures.
Yes but Tulsa Oklahoma functions as A Major American City , whereas Columbia , Charleston and
Greenville SC does not..........

You need to put some World Class Venues into these town before you throw them into the ring with
Tulsa Oklahoma....

Try putting a BOK ( CENTER ) ARENA...... http://www.bokcenter.com/
CAINS BALLROOM.... http://www.cainsballroom.com/
Gilcrease Museum .... http://gilcrease.utulsa.edu/
Philbrook Museum... https://philbrook.org/
and coming soon The GATHERING Place Park....... http://agatheringplacefortulsa.com/get-the-visuals/
Tulsa Hard Rock Hostel and Casino... http://www.hardrockcasinotulsa.com/
The Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art.... http://jewishmuseum.net/
add these Venues to either of the SC cities , and let's go head to head.

Wikipedia.......
BOK Center....... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Center
Cain's Ballroom.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain%27s_Ballroom
Gilcrease Museum... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilcrease_Museum
Philbrook Museum... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philbrook_Museum_of_Art
A Gathering Place for Tulsa.... http://www.newson6.com/story/2262621...athering-place
The Sherman Miller Museum of Jewish Art... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwi..._of_Jewish_Art
Tulsa OK Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Oklahoma.html

Last edited by Howest2008; 11-02-2015 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
 
29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Reputation: 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes but Tulsa Oklahoma functions as A Major American City , whereas Columbia , Charleston and
Greenville SC does not..........

You need to put some World Class Venues into these town before you throw them into the ring with
Tulsa Oklahoma....

Try putting a BOK ARENA......CAINS BALLROOM....Gilcrease Museum ....Philbrook Museum and
coming soon The GATHERING Place Park....... to either of the SC cities , and let's go head to head.
I don't think most people would agree that Tulsa is a major American city.

That whole "world class" thing is a bit overblown, I think. The BOK Arena has really nice architecture, but other than that, what makes it a world class venue? The museums look great but again, I wouldn't call them world class.

As far as the SC cities, you have Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, often ranked as a top zoo in the country, the SC State Museum and one of the largest children's museums in the South; Spoleto Festival in Charleston is certainly a world class event, along with tons of historic sites and cultural facilities (e.g., Gaillard Center, Gibbes Museum); and Greenville has an award-winning Main Street and venues like the Peace Center and minor league ballpark that have received accolades.

At any rate, as a larger metro, Tulsa would have an expected edge when it comes to venues and such, but the point was that it's closer to the SC cities than Charlotte in size and other respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,447 posts, read 12,222,798 times
Reputation: 3579
Originally Posted by Howest2008
Yes but Tulsa Oklahoma functions as A Major American City , whereas Columbia , Charleston and
Greenville SC does not..........

You need to put some World Class Venues into these town before you throw them into the ring with
Tulsa Oklahoma....

Try putting a BOK ARENA......CAINS BALLROOM....Gilcrease Museum ....Philbrook Museum and
coming soon The GATHERING Place Park....... to either of the SC cities , and let's go head to head.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think most people would agree that Tulsa is a major American city.

That whole "world class" thing is a bit overblown, I think. The BOK Arena has really nice architecture, but other than that, what makes it a world class venue? The museums look great but again, I wouldn't call them world class.

As far as the SC cities, you have Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, often ranked as a top zoo in the country, the SC State Museum and one of the largest children's museums in the South; Spoleto Festival in Charleston is certainly a world class event, along with tons of historic sites and cultural facilities (e.g., Gaillard Center, Gibbes Museum); and Greenville has an award-winning Main Street and venues like the Peace Center and minor league ballpark that have received accolades.

At any rate, as a larger metro, Tulsa would have an expected edge when it comes to venues and such, but the point was that it's closer to the SC cities than Charlotte in size and other respects.
Tulsa OK venues are called World Class because they have Top Gate attendances BOK Center is rated
ahead of Charlotte NC Arena most of the time if not all of the time.... the Cain's Ballroom is one
of the top live Music Club in the World. Gilcrease Museum is the best in it's category World
wide. Philbrook Museum is rated 50Th Best of the Thousands of Museum here in America.
People from New York City are saying that A Gathering place for Tulsa will be a World
Class Park , and the beat goes on and on. I like the SC cities , don't get me wrong , but
they just don't have the World class Venues....that's all that I'm saying.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,447 posts, read 12,222,798 times
Reputation: 3579
Articles to support Tulsa Venues World Class Rating......

BOK Center....... BOK Center misses out on possible top 10 venue rank because of Garth Brooks' request - Tulsa World: Weekendhomepage2

Pollstar: BOK Center, Cain's Ballroom move up in midyear ticket sales rank - Tulsa World: Offbeat

BOK Center :: BOK CENTER RANKS 16TH IN POLLSTAR'S MID YEAR POLLS

BOK Center :: BOK CENTER RANKED 17TH IN THE US BY POLLSTAR MAGAZINE

BOK Center :: BOK Center Ranked #9 in the U.S. for First Quarter Ticket Sales

GTR Newspapers | Find Local Tulsa, Bixby, Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union, and Owasso News, Sports, and Entertainment:BOK Center Finishes Year As 13th Ranked Venue in U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 12:57 PM
 
29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Reputation: 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by howest2008 View Post
tulsa ok venues are called world class because they have top gate attendances bok center is rated
ahead of charlotte nc arena most of the time if not all of the time.... The cain's ballroom is one
of the top live music club in the world. Gilcrease museum is the best in it's category world
wide. Philbrook museum is rated 50th best of the thousands of museum here in america.
people from new york city are saying that a gathering place for tulsa will be a world
class park , and the beat goes on and on. I like the sc cities , don't get me wrong , but
they just don't have the world class venues....that's all that i'm saying.......
Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top