Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
The problem with Tulsa and OKC is they're isolated IMO. Charlotte has a major advantage of being right in the middle of two of the biggest metros in the U.S. That's why Charlotte is able to attract such companies.

Charlotte's metro and city are already larger than OKC and with the rate Charlotte's growing, OKC isn't going to catch up. A larger population is going to attract a larger variety of offerings. OKC's 2 F500 companies compared to Charlotte's 9 if you count Wells Fargo is a huge gain for Charlotte. The upscale image lacks in OKC/Tulsa compared to Charlotte. Transportation offerings are better in Charlotte.

Personally, OKC isn't going to get closer to Charlotte. It can't.
Why would you claim Wells Fargo when it is based in San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I agree. Charlotte took a HUGE loss when Wachovia collapsed. Charlotte is actually very fortunate Wells Fargo has kept such a large presence there. No matter how large that presence is or what the history is behind it, Wells Fargo is not based in Charlotte.

Wells Fargo aside, Charlotte has a large amount of fortune 500 companies for its size. That also explains why Charlotte offers so much for a city of only 1.8 million people. I say "only" because for everything Charlotte offers, its a very small city.

Tulsa is a fine city for its size, but can't match Charlotte. As I've said many times before, it would take OKC and Tulsa being a combined city - a total of 2.3 million in the metro, to come close to what Charlotte offers.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times
Quote:
Have you not seen this?

"About 1,500 bond-trading and investment-banking employees reside in Charlotte, the 17th largest U.S. city. That compares with about 700 in New York, where the equities business is based. Less than a dozen people were transferred to Charlotte from San Francisco, which houses about 400 securities personnel, said Elise Wilkinson, a Wells Fargo spokeswoman."

“Wachovia and now Wells Fargo, and separately Bank of America back in the day, took this other approach of making Charlotte a banking headquarters, and we’ve benefited from that.”

Wells Fargo is just as important as Wachovia would be to Charlotte. That's why I would count it. Either way, my point is still valid.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Have you not seen this?

"About 1,500 bond-trading and investment-banking employees reside in Charlotte, the 17th largest U.S. city. That compares with about 700 in New York, where the equities business is based. Less than a dozen people were transferred to Charlotte from San Francisco, which houses about 400 securities personnel, said Elise Wilkinson, a Wells Fargo spokeswoman."

“Wachovia and now Wells Fargo, and separately Bank of America back in the day, took this other approach of making Charlotte a banking headquarters, and we’ve benefited from that.”

Wells Fargo is just as important as Wachovia would be to Charlotte. That's why I would count it. Either way, my point is still valid.
Wells Fargo has a huge presence in Minneapolis with several of its units based there. Actually, Wells Fargo was bought by a Minneapolis bank (Norwest) back in the 90s and the execs moved corporate headquarters west because of the bank's name recognition. Why then aren't Minneapolis people claiming Wells Fargo as one of their several Fortune 500 companies? It has to do with the fact that the bank is now based in San Francisco.

Anyway, yes you are right in that the Charlotte area has more Fortune 500 companies than Tulsa.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Wells Fargo has a huge presence in Minneapolis with several of its units based there. Actually, Wells Fargo was bought by a Minneapolis bank (Norwest) back in the 90s and the execs moved corporate headquarters west because of the bank's name recognition. Why then aren't Minneapolis people claiming Wells Fargo as one of their several Fortune 500 companies? It has to do with the fact that the bank is now based in San Francisco.

Anyway, yes you are right in that the Charlotte area has more Fortune 500 companies than Tulsa.
I'm missing your point. Wells Fargo also has a large corporate presence in New York, London and Houston.

I'm not claiming Wells Fargo as Charlotte's own because I'm very aware of their headquarters.

Wells Fargo Securities is based in Charlotte, New York and San Francisco.

Wells Fargo plans to move into the Wells Fargo owned- Duke Energy Center in Charlotte as the new primary office for WFS.

As of January 15, 2013, Wells Fargo has moved 900 employees to Charlotte.

I'm sorry, but Wells Fargo has just as much importance in Charlotte as it does San Francisco.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I always thought Wells Fargo was based in Des Moines for some reason. Should have known better I guess.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm missing your point. Wells Fargo also has a large corporate presence in New York, London and Houston.
You stated, OKC's 2 F500 companies compared to Charlotte's 9 if you count Wells Fargo is a huge gain for Charlotte.

My point was Wells Fargo isn't a Charlotte-based bank and it has just as much importance in other cities like Minneapolis, Des Moines, Phoenix, etc... It's really not that big of a deal.

Last edited by YIMBY; 01-17-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,835 times
Quote:
You stated, OKC's 2 F500 companies compared to Charlotte's 9 if you count Wells Fargo is a huge gain for Charlotte.

My point was Wells Fargo isn't a Charlotte-based bank and it has just as much importance in other cities like Minneapolis, Des Moines, Phoenix, etc... It's really not that big of a deal.
It is a big deal since Charlotte is the East Coast Headquarters for Wells-Fargo.....

Old 01-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Don't include it if you don't agree.

Facts are facts.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default Show Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
It is a big deal since Charlotte is the East Coast Headquarters for Wells-Fargo.....

Show me a LINK showing the Well Fargo Charlotte Connection...please ?
Fortune 500 2012: States: North Carolina Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City