U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your FAVORITE southern states? (Please choose up to five.)
Tennessee 184 38.49%
Kentucky 66 13.81%
West Virginia 50 10.46%
Virginia 155 32.43%
North Carolina 215 44.98%
South Carolina 119 24.90%
Georgia 176 36.82%
Alabama 74 15.48%
Mississippi 59 12.34%
Florida 182 38.08%
Louisiana 98 20.50%
Arkansas 42 8.79%
Texas 161 33.68%
Oklahoma 35 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 478. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,529,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Oklahoma in my opinion is not an exclusively Southern state, so I don't think it belongs on the list.
Its a mix of Southern, southwestern with a little native american flair(goes along with southwestern)- Oklahoma to me feels different than any other state...Whenever i'm in Tulsa or OKC i feel like i'm back in the 70's/80's....can't really explain it, i've been going to both cities since i was a kid(family) and just get that feeling....I always loved my grandparents orange carpet in OKC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,446 times
Exclamation FLORIDA IS a Southern state! OKLAHOMA & W. VIRGINIA are NOT!

In response to your list of favorite "Southern" states, and, especially, to your referring to Florida as "not" a Southern state --- here's a history lesson, and the real scoop on what is, and what isn't, a Southern state:

"Southern" has everything to do with having been part of the Confederate States of America (CSA) during The War Between the States, rather than with how the typical tourist of today perceives an area.

Florida was the third state to secede from the Union, and, believe me, there are plenty of us homegrown Floridians who are very, very proud of our Confederate ancestors. (Oh, and, by the way, we actually do have a Southern accent... just not a Georgia accent, like our cousins just a bit farther north. There are as many different Southern accents as there are Northern accents.) Native Floridians are just as gracious and courteous as any other Southerners; it's the transplants from the North, of which there are many, who aren't friendly --- They've brought their Northern abruptness with them. Florida (the traditional Florida) has been absolutely overwhelmed with Northerners who have come to visit, and then have failed to go back home. As a bumper sticker often seen in Florida says, "Welcome. Now, go home!" Our beautiful climate has attracted some lovely Northern retirees, but enough is enough!

Oklahoma is neither Southern (like Texas) nor properly Midwestern (like its neighbor to the north, Kansas). I'd say that, in general, Oklahoma "sounds" Southern, and "thinks" Midwestern.

West Virginia also is not a Southern state, although W. Virginians today usually are loyal to the South. It was tragic that being in the way of the railroad that transported thousands of Yankee troops right slap through their area intimidated the inhabitants of western Virginia into declaring allegiance to the North. (To W. Virginia's credit, it did send a mighty lot of men to the aid of the Confederacy.)

Kentucky --- in spite of Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken --- is not a Southern state, although, like W. Virginia, it sent a lot of soldiers to the South during The War.

I hope this clarifies. Enjoy the South... then, God bless you, go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinkentucky View Post
Favorites, in order: Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas.

The Texas attitudes (of pride and friendliness,) Georgia mellowness (and beautiful "peaches," lol,) the laid-back Mississippi and Alabama style, music heritage and awe-inspiring beauty of Tennessee, and it's okay to be from OK. All of these states, except Virginia, have very friendly people, but I like Virginia because of it also has awe-inspiring natural beauty.

----

Least favorites: Kentucky, Florida, West Virginia (none of which should even be considered part of the South, anyway.)

Rude people, sour attitudes (even in church,) overpriced costs of living (and high taxes,) lack of arts and culture, little to do away from the tourist-oriented areas. Just not worth it.

Last edited by FloridaBelle; 10-24-2008 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-24-2008, 06:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,604,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBelle View Post
In response to your list of favorite "Southern" states, and, especially, to your referring to Florida as "not" a Southern state --- here's a history lesson, and the real scoop on what is, and what isn't, a Southern state:

"Southern" has everything to do with having been part of the Confederate States of America (CSA) during The War Between the States, rather than with how the typical tourist of today perceives an area.

Florida was the third state to secede from the Union, and, believe me, there are plenty of us homegrown Floridians who are very, very proud of our Confederate ancestors. (Oh, and, by the way, we actually do have a Southern accent... just not a Georgia accent, like our cousins just a bit farther north. There are as many different Southern accents as there are Northern accents.) Native Floridians are just as gracious and courteous as any other Southerners; it's the transplants from the North, of which there are many, who aren't friendly --- They've brought their Northern abruptness with them. Florida (the traditional Florida) has been absolutely overwhelmed with Northerners who have come to visit, and then have failed to go back home. As a bumper sticker often seen in Florida says, "Welcome. Now, go home!" Our beautiful climate has attracted some lovely Northern retirees, but enough is enough!

Oklahoma is neither Southern (like Texas) nor properly Midwestern (like its neighbor to the north, Kansas). I'd say that, in general, Oklahoma "sounds" Southern, and "thinks" Midwestern.

West Virginia also is not a Southern state, although W. Virginians today usually are loyal to the South. It was tragic that being in the way of the railroad that transported thousands of Yankee troops right slap through their area intimidated the inhabitants of western Virginia into declaring allegiance to the North. (To W. Virginia's credit, it did send a mighty lot of men to the aid of the Confederacy.)

Kentucky --- in spite of Colonel Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken --- is not a Southern state, although, like W. Virginia, it sent a lot of soldiers to the South during The War.

I hope this clarifies. Enjoy the South... then, God bless you, go home.

****sits back with popcorn and waits...****

Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Is kentucky Southern? A panel discussion

Yes, there really was a discussion and here's the results:
Is Kentucky Southern? A panel discussion...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,644,713 times
Florida, because it has a lot to offer and the best weather. Much diversity in the bigger cities is a plus. Georgia because of the diversity in landscape and weather. On some days, you can go skiing in the mountains and go to the beach in the same day. Texas, because of the vast terrain, the many historic sites, and the Texas "feel." I love Mississippi's "feel" and historic sites as well. Arkansas has very beautiful scenery to offer.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,902,701 times
The Carolinas rank first on my list (born, raised, and educated in SC, now living in NC), followed closely by Georgia. Virginia and Florida round out my top five. I'm just biased towards the Southern Atlantic states.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 PM

5,331 posts, read 7,407,850 times
I'm partial to the south-central states (Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma) for obvious reasons.....these be my peeps.

At the end of the day, however, I like ALL the states on the list for overall culture and scenery....c'mon ya'll, we know the South can't be beat for way of life. The only states on the list I have not been to are West Virginia and Alabama. From what I've heard about these states I'm sure I would really like them.

"Carry on. Carry on. Sweet Southern Comfort carry on." Buddy Jewell

Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 AM

10,167 posts, read 16,703,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Now you done went and got me all teary-eyed ol' buddy!

YouTube - Buddy Jewell - Sweet Southern Comfort

Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,870,061 times
By far my favorite: North Florida, from Tallahassee to Jacksonville and down to Ocala. People there call it "The Real Florida". No tourists, no retirees, just alligators, cypress swamps and the Suwanee River.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm partial to the south-central states (Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma) for obvious reasons.....these be my peeps.

At the end of the day, however, I like ALL the states on the list for overall culture and scenery....c'mon ya'll, we know the South can't be beat for way of life. The only states on the list I have not been to are West Virginia and Alabama. From what I've heard about these states I'm sure I would really like them.

I agree! They are all special in their own way and there just ain't no where like the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or