Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your FAVORITE southern states? (Please choose up to five.)
Tennessee 186 38.51%
Kentucky 66 13.66%
West Virginia 51 10.56%
Virginia 158 32.71%
North Carolina 217 44.93%
South Carolina 120 24.84%
Georgia 177 36.65%
Alabama 75 15.53%
Mississippi 60 12.42%
Florida 184 38.10%
Louisiana 98 20.29%
Arkansas 42 8.70%
Texas 162 33.54%
Oklahoma 35 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
The census does do a fairly good job. I prefer to place Oklahoma in a plains catagory however. How many areas of Arkansas and Louisiana have endless miles of wheat fields stretching for miles across flat land? Sure you can place Oklahoma with Arkansas and Louisiana but personally I think it's better included with Texas and Kansas. My sister used to live in Kansas and it felt more like central Oklahoma to me than when I was in NW Arkansas. Sure areas east of I-35 feel more like Arkansas but west of I-35 is indeed the plains and I don't think it's best included with Arkansas and Louisiana.
Good point; and, I think your main assertion stands if you're trying to categorize OK primarily by topography.

I prefer to group/categorize states based more on culture....hence, I am much more apt to see Oklahoma associationally connected with Texas and Arkansas than with Kansas, Nebraska, etc. (<-----clearly true Plains states that are Midwestern culturally). I would be totally fine with a "Southern Plains" designation or something like it for Oklahoma as it might be more descriptive of the topography of some of Oklahoma; but, again, it probably doesn't do justice to the obvious Southern culture resident in OK. I think the Census is pretty much right on with placing OK in a Southern subregion (*clearly not the Deep South*) known as the West South Central. Oklahoma is essentially a Southern state mixed with Southwestern/Western qualities...somewhat of a transition zone between the South and the Old West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Oklahoma is essentially a Southern state mixed with Southwestern/Western qualities...somewhat of a transition zone between the South and the Old West.
Exactly why I'd like to leave. Don't get me wrong the people from the South are great but my family roots are in the North and it's always been more "home" to me than here. The good thing about our people is most wouldn't hate me for saying that and would wish the best of luck going where I'm more comfortable.

P.S. if I'm ever told to "bundle up" by the weathermen one more time when it's 40 outside I might just drop out of school and leave tomorrow Light jacket this morning and loved every second of it.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Florida, even I don't consider most of it Southern. I love South and Central Florida, but North Florida (Jacksonville/St. Augustine not the so-called "redneck" Panhandle) is very nice as well.

Out of the "true" Southern states, my favorite (and probably the only one that I have a positive opinion of) would be North Carolina. For some reason I don't like Georgia, not even Atlanta. The rest of the South, particularly the Deep South Gulf states (plus South Carolina, minus Texas) are my least "favorite" states overall. Apart for parts of Northern Virginia, I don't really like Virginia and I'm still undecided about Kentucky. West Virginia is in a league of its own, and I don't really consider it Southern or Northern, but I don't really have negative feelings towards it since a lot of the state is so backwards (no offense) that it's hillarious sometimes, and frequently the butt of jokes.

To chillwill: stop kidding yourself, we've been over this one a million and two times, and the general consensus is Maryland is 95% Northern (so is Delaware and DC).

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
^^ i'd give it 85

Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Exactly why I'd like to leave. Don't get me wrong the people from the South are great but my family roots are in the North and it's always been more "home" to me than here. The good thing about our people is most wouldn't hate me for saying that and would wish the best of luck going where I'm more comfortable.

P.S. if I'm ever told to "bundle up" by the weathermen one more time when it's 40 outside I might just drop out of school and leave tomorrow Light jacket this morning and loved every second of it.
Well, best of luck to ya when you get a chance to go back home to your roots.

I totally understand where you are coming from after living out of the South for many years. You really can't put a premium on being close to family. I lived out of the South-Central for several years on the East/West coasts and I couldn't wait to get back and be near family here in Oklahoma and Texas.

Blessings.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
North Carolina - Geographically beautiful, very nice seasons, and Charlotte and Raleigh are both cool cities.
Florida - Awesome beaches, Miami is one of the funnest cities in the country, and who doesn't love Disney World?
Louisiana - New Orleans...'nuff said.
Texas - Austin and San Antonio are great cities, Houston and Dallas are nice residential family cities, and there are some nice beaches on the Gulf.
Tennessee - Beautiful state, nice people, and Nashville and Memphis are both fun and vibrant and filled with great bbq.

Virginia is awesome as well, but from the areas of it that I've been to, I've never really considered it to be southern.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 AM

256 posts, read 605,541 times
I don't think enough people give Alabama fair justice. Huntsville is a mountainous region and VERY cosmopolitan and wealthy for a city its size in the South. Birmingham is very hilly and also cosmopolitan. It's an Iron Belt city, but it really is a gem. The Gulf Coast beaches are some of the best -- white sands and crystal clear, WARM waters. But, I will say that stereotypes prevail because there isn't much reason to run off and visit AL, unfortunately. And, it is also true that what exists outside the metros gets very, very poor and...well, scary. But, I don't know that that's not true of ALOT of places - in the South or not. Many will readily attest that Northern states like Pennsylvania are similar outside their core metros. You get into impoverished backwoods in the N, too. And every city and every state has areas that are redeeming qualities and areas that are embarassing and less than ideal and scary.
I think one of North Carolina's best features is that it has so many established cities -- more than most, so you're never too far away from "civilization". And, of course, its geographic diversity is a little more "pronounced"/publicized than most, even though AL, GA, SC, VA offer mountains AND beaches, too.
I guess the Southern state I hold dearest is Tennessee. It's rolling hills and its Great Smokies are irresistable. Cities like Nashville and Memphis -- like them or not -- (personally, I ADORE Nashville) offer a UNIQUENESS that helps them stand out from the crowd. Tennessee touches more states geographically than any other state with the exception of Missouri (both touch 8 and both touch each other). That makes it attractive, in my opinion, for various reasons. But, mainly it's the gentile beauty and grandeur of TN that makes it my favorite. But, GA and VA for their history and beauty are not far behind. NC with its GREAT collection of THRIVING cities is not far behind. Kentucky has urban, walkable Louisville and and artsy Padukah and the picturesque, exquisite horsefarms of Lexington. SC has the absolute gems of Greenville and Charleston and Columbia. West VA may be extremely poor and lack growth, but OMG, how spectacular a state! I mean...really...how can you REALLY pick a favorite? How can you really pick?
The bottom line is we really do live in a great country. I think if more people exposed themselves to what all is out there -- and didn't rely on stereotype or preconceptions -- we'd all be amazed at how truly difficult it is to pick a favorite city or state. And, in the South, we are blessed enough to be in very LIVEABLE areas. There is great diversity in people and topography even where you don't expect it. I was born and raised in the Midwest, but I LOVE the South. And, I love that the US offers so much.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi

Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
I don't think enough people give Alabama fair justice. Huntsville is a mountainous region and VERY cosmopolitan and wealthy for a city its size in the South. Birmingham is very hilly and also cosmopolitan. It's an Iron Belt city, but it really is a gem. The Gulf Coast beaches are some of the best -- white sands and crystal clear, WARM waters. But, I will say that stereotypes prevail because there isn't much reason to run off and visit AL, unfortunately. And, it is also true that what exists outside the metros gets very, very poor and...well, scary. But, I don't know that that's not true of ALOT of places - in the South or not. Many will readily attest that Northern states like Pennsylvania are similar outside their core metros. You get into impoverished backwoods in the N, too. And every city and every state has areas that are redeeming qualities and areas that are embarassing and less than ideal and scary.
I think one of North Carolina's best features is that it has so many established cities -- more than most, so you're never too far away from "civilization". And, of course, its geographic diversity is a little more "pronounced"/publicized than most, even though AL, GA, SC, VA offer mountains AND beaches, too.
I guess the Southern state I hold dearest is Tennessee. It's rolling hills and its Great Smokies are irresistable. Cities like Nashville and Memphis -- like them or not -- (personally, I ADORE Nashville) offer a UNIQUENESS that helps them stand out from the crowd. Tennessee touches more states geographically than any other state with the exception of Missouri (both touch 8 and both touch each other). That makes it attractive, in my opinion, for various reasons. But, mainly it's the gentile beauty and grandeur of TN that makes it my favorite. But, GA and VA for their history and beauty are not far behind. NC with its GREAT collection of THRIVING cities is not far behind. Kentucky has urban, walkable Louisville and and artsy Padukah and the picturesque, exquisite horsefarms of Lexington. SC has the absolute gems of Greenville and Charleston and Columbia. West VA may be extremely poor and lack growth, but OMG, how spectacular a state! I mean...really...how can you REALLY pick a favorite? How can you really pick?
The bottom line is we really do live in a great country. I think if more people exposed themselves to what all is out there -- and didn't rely on stereotype or preconceptions -- we'd all be amazed at how truly difficult it is to pick a favorite city or state. And, in the South, we are blessed enough to be in very LIVEABLE areas. There is great diversity in people and topography even where you don't expect it. I was born and raised in the Midwest, but I LOVE the South. And, I love that the US offers so much.
Alabama is great, but I think people blow it off because it is the real deep south.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
Cosmopolitan? Have you been to a REAL cosmopolitan city other than Atlanta? San Antonio and Austin are bigger than and city in Alabama and I wouldn't consider them to be cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City