Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your FAVORITE southern states? (Please choose up to five.)
Tennessee 186 38.51%
Kentucky 66 13.66%
West Virginia 51 10.56%
Virginia 158 32.71%
North Carolina 217 44.93%
South Carolina 120 24.84%
Georgia 177 36.65%
Alabama 75 15.53%
Mississippi 60 12.42%
Florida 184 38.10%
Louisiana 98 20.29%
Arkansas 42 8.70%
Texas 162 33.54%
Oklahoma 35 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Because these Southern states are the most rural and "underdeveloped" (<---some view this as backward) states of the ones listed.

The people from these states, however, know why we love our homestate and that's enough for us.
Do you consider West Virginia a Southern state, Bass?

I would see a better case for West Virginia than when some people point to Maryland and Delaware, but I still don't consider WV Southern. It has a unique Appalachian-folk culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

I would see a better case for West Virginia than when some people point to Maryland and Delaware, but I still don't consider WV Southern. It has a unique Appalachian-folk culture.
Wouldn't you say the more mountainous eastern West Virginia would be a bit more southern? And maybe even the parts that hook downwards into Virginia as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
I consider Oklahoma a Southern state, but it's kind of the "border south" as far west as you can go and still feel as if you're in the South. Obviously eastern Oklahoma feels more Southern than western Oklahoma, and parts of western Texas and the extreme southern parts bordering Mexico (El Paso) don't feel Southern at all. Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas are a bit controversial when it comes to discussing what is and what isn't a Southern state. I consider Arkansas slightly more Southern than Oklahoma and Texas though.
I think you are spot-on here.

OK/TX are the western-most boundary of the South. And yes, I believe you see a "Deep South" mentality which is predominately not in OK or TX occuring somewhere just east of central Arkansas....it does become a little different IMO.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-28-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Wouldn't you say the more mountainous eastern West Virginia would be a bit more southern? And maybe even the parts that hook downwards into Virginia as well.
Sure, I've been through many nice parts of West Virginia, and some certainly have a Southern feel, but then again, certain parts of southern Indiana and even southern Ohio near Kentucky have a Southern feel, and certain parts of Florida and Texas feel anything but Southern, but I think that these regions can't speak for the state as a whole. With WV, I go by the culture (Which I think is among the most unique in the U.S.) and the history. Historically, West Virginia split from Virginia to avoid secession, indicating that WV itself didn't/doesn't consider itself part of the Southern U.S.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I'm probably not the right guy to ask as I have not spent any time in West Virginia and therefore I will reserve my opinion as I cannot authoritatively say based on lack of experience.

What do the demographics of the state show? Is it more than 50% Southern in its culture/outlook? Do the majority of West Virginians see themselves as Southerners? I am not too familiar with Appalachian culture as I have not traveled those parts of Virginia, West Virginia, and eastern Kentucky that are said to be part of Appalachia.

I had a friend in school that was from West Virginia (southwest West Virginia if I recall correctly) and his accent was every bit if not more pronounced than my south-central Oklahoma accent. It definitely had more of an eastern South drawl compared to my western South twang.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM

73 posts, read 173,869 times
Quote:
Are you just gonna give your opinion or provide some real facts why this is true?

You know, there are many that believe Arkansas is not a "true" Southern state anymore. I disagree with that perception, but I would also like to hear your reasoning on your opinion of OK.

Would you go so far as to say Texas isn't Southern either? I find your opinion interesting since there is a lot of cultural similarity between Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.
ok historically in the civil war (and yes i know that was 200 years ago) oklahoma was not in the confederacy also culturally it is also more western oklahoma doesn't hold the southern values that arkansas or the rest of the south does. really i cant prove it but it just doesn't have the southern feel to it

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.melcher09 View Post
ok historically in the civil war (and yes i know that was 200 years ago) oklahoma was not in the confederacy also culturally it is also more western oklahoma doesn't hold the southern values that arkansas or the rest of the south does. really i cant prove it but it just doesn't have the southern feel to it
>>>>>
really i cant prove it but it just doesn't have the southern feel to it
<<<<<

I figured you were going off of opinion only and that is fine, you are entitled to it. Your opinion just does not mesh culturally or historically with Oklahoma's inclusion in the South.

It's funny that you mention that Oklahoma was not part of the Confederacy....this is solely due to "statehood" status that Oklahoma lacked. Unlike Kentucky and West Virginia, Okies were never on the fence when it came to fighting the War of Northern Agression. Oklahoma was overwhelmingly supportive of the Southern cause. Did you know that the last Confederate battle was on Oklahoma soil? Check it out: Home Page and Stand Watie surrendered at Doaksville and Stand Watie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And again, if you're wanting to kick Oklahoma out, you'll probably have to look at excluding your own state and Texas from the South as well as there is a lot of cultural similarity to these states.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Sure, I've been through many nice parts of West Virginia, and some certainly have a Southern feel, but then again, certain parts of southern Indiana and even southern Ohio near Kentucky have a Southern feel, and certain parts of Florida and Texas feel anything but Southern, but I think that these regions can't speak for the state as a whole. With WV, I go by the culture (Which I think is among the most unique in the U.S.) and the history. Historically, West Virginia split from Virginia to avoid secession, indicating that WV itself didn't/doesn't consider itself part of the Southern U.S.
Actually, West Virginia did not willingly split from Virginia, that is an historical myth. I will tell you a story, which is quite true. On June 31, 1861, Wheeling legislator George Porter addressed a crowd in Wheeling and ended his speech by saying that he was "born in Virginia, but hoped to die in West Virginia!". The crowd sat in silence. (Reported in the Wheeling Daily Intelligencer, July 1, 1861). Four months later, 70% of Wheeling and its county voters chose to stay home rather than vote on the statehood referendum. If they couldn't arouse Unionists in Wheeling to vote for statehood in a majority, what chance did they have in the rest of West Virginia? None. When you take out the 16 counties of the northern panhandle and the B&O Railroad route, the other 34 counties of West Virginia had a secessionist majority, according to the vote records in Richard Curry's "A House Divided". West Virginia was created by a junta, which is what Lincoln historian James G. Randall called them in his book "Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln". And contrary what you read in many histories, by August 1861 there were more West Virginians in the Confederate army than the Union Army. There were 3 times as many West Virginians in gray at Gettysburg than in blue. I put together a website with a lot of this material if you are interested.

http://sites.google.com/site/wvotherhistory/

Besides which, you couldn't count the state that invented the mint julep as anything but southern.
Mint Julep, the West Virginia drink (besides shine)

Last edited by Bobilee; 01-29-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
My favorites would start with Florida [the only Southern state I have been to though I've been in the airport in Houston]. Florida is great w/ fantastic beaches & good Cubano food. Texas would be next because it has some very large cities & a very long coastline. Georgia because of Atlanta makes it quite appealing. I think the Carolina states because of the mountains & interesting cities like Charleston\ Charlotte.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 PM

73 posts, read 173,869 times
Quote:
>>>>>
really i cant prove it but it just doesn't have the southern feel to it
<<<<<

I figured you were going off of opinion only and that is fine, you are entitled to it. Your opinion just does not mesh culturally or historically with Oklahoma's inclusion in the South.

It's funny that you mention that Oklahoma was not part of the Confederacy....this is solely due to "statehood" status that Oklahoma lacked. Unlike Kentucky and West Virginia, Okies were never on the fence when it came to fighting the War of Northern Agression. Oklahoma was overwhelmingly supportive of the Southern cause. Did you know that the last Confederate battle was on Oklahoma soil? Check it out: Home Page and Stand Watie surrendered at Doaksville and Stand Watie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And again, if you're wanting to kick Oklahoma out, you'll probably have to look at excluding your own state and Texas from the South as well as there is a lot of cultural similarity to these states.
wow really sweet i have no comment i am totally beaten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City