Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your FAVORITE southern states? (Please choose up to five.)
Tennessee 186 38.51%
Kentucky 66 13.66%
West Virginia 51 10.56%
Virginia 158 32.71%
North Carolina 217 44.93%
South Carolina 120 24.84%
Georgia 177 36.65%
Alabama 75 15.53%
Mississippi 60 12.42%
Florida 184 38.10%
Louisiana 98 20.29%
Arkansas 42 8.70%
Texas 162 33.54%
Oklahoma 35 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times

Advertisements

Favourites...

TX,FL,OK,LA,VA...

Least favourable,WVa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
WVa (is it really a Southern State?)
VA
Florida
South Carolina

Not favs:
Alabama
Mississippi

Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Not a surprise at all to see Oklahoma and Arkansas bringing up the rear. Arkansas because it just seems to get a bad rep wherever you go and Oklahoma because it's borderline south in the first place. I can't really expect people from the Carolina's to like it here or even have been here for that matter. To look at the Carolina's and Georgia then Oklahoma and say they are the same region is a joke to me.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Not a surprise at all to see Oklahoma and Arkansas bringing up the rear. Arkansas because it just seems to get a bad rep wherever you go and Oklahoma because it's borderline south in the first place. I can't really expect people from the Carolina's to like it here or even have been here for that matter. To look at the Carolina's and Georgia then Oklahoma and say they are the same region is a joke to me.
Don't know why Arkansas would get a bad rap = beautiful state and beautiful/pleasant folks.

As for your comments on Oklahoma, a better way to think of it is that all Southern states can be placed in subregions of the South at large. The South in its totality is quite diverse, while each Southern state maintains some obvious similarity throughout. The Census does a pretty darn good job (with the exception of including Delaware and Maryland) of maintaining cultural and geographical commonality with their designation of the greater South. Oklahoma is listed accurately with Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas as part of the subregion known as the the West South Central. I personally prefer South-Central (TX, OK, AR....LA may be more accurately categorized as part of the Deep South = AL, SC, MS, GA). Perhaps Western South (OK/TX....as my good friend, TexReb delineates) is a helpful designation as it indicates the peculiarities of the more "westernized" parts of the South.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 11-29-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 11-29-2009, 03:46 AM

21 posts, read 30,718 times
I will come off as the rude NYer but what's so great about North Carolina? I'm open to the idea, just not sure what's so great

Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
^I think people just kind of view it as more progressive than the rest of the south at times and it has the mountains in the west. And it's nice, but then again, I think just about every state has "nice" qualities.

I don't think I have a favorite southern state(s).

Old 11-29-2009, 01:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
^I think people just kind of view it as more progressive than the rest of the south at times and it has the mountains in the west. And it's nice, but then again, I think just about every state has "nice" qualities.

>>>>>
<<<<<

Great post, Lovely. I absolutely agree!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Sharky View Post
I will come off as the rude NYer but what's so great about North Carolina? I'm open to the idea, just not sure what's so great
Cheap cost of living, cheap cost of doing business, strong economies (Charlotte not as much these days, but still relatively strong), good schools, etc.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Don't know why Arkansas would get a bad rap = beautiful state and beautiful/pleasant folks.

As for your comments on Oklahoma, a better way to think of it is that all Southern states can be placed in subregions of the South at large. The South in its totality is quite diverse, while each Southern state maintains some obvious similarity throughout. The Census does a pretty darn good job (with the exception of including Delaware and Maryland) of maintaining cultural and geographical commonality with their designation of the greater South. Oklahoma is listed accurately with Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas as part of the subregion known as the the West South Central. I personally prefer South-Central (TX, OK, AR....LA may be more accurately categorized as part of the Deep South = AL, SC, MS, GA). Perhaps Western South (OK/TX....as my good friend, TexReb delineates) is a helpful designation as it indicates the peculiarities of the more "westernized" parts of the South.
The census does do a fairly good job. I prefer to place Oklahoma in a plains catagory however. How many areas of Arkansas and Louisiana have endless miles of wheat fields stretching for miles across flat land? Sure you can place Oklahoma with Arkansas and Louisiana but personally I think it's better included with Texas and Kansas. My sister used to live in Kansas and it felt more like central Oklahoma to me than when I was in NW Arkansas. Sure areas east of I-35 feel more like Arkansas but west of I-35 is indeed the plains and I don't think it's best included with Arkansas and Louisiana.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
I don't understand why people say Florida should not be considered part of the South. New York has much more diversity than the rest of the North, yet people consider it a Northern state. I would bet that there are many more cultures in NYC and surrounding area than any other place in the North. Why would Florida not be considered Southern just because Miami and surrounding area has more diversity and different cultures than the rest of the South? Both states are considered an entry point for people from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City