Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,474 times

Advertisements

I live in the Atlanta region, and while Buckhead, Midtown, Atlantic Station, Virginia-Highland, and the Centennial Park area of downtown have a lot of people, and are semi vibrant to vibrant, downtown is loaded with homeless and gangsters. There's no getting around it.

Fairlie-Poplar is okay, as is the part of Peachtree Street near the Hard Rock Cafe. The Centennial Park area is okay. However, the rest of downtown is a dangerous, homeless-filled, and gangster-filled area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:16 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill downtown?

Washington D.C

Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yeah I'd be willing to bet that neighborhood has more ugly people per capita than any other in the nation. So many zombies and drug abuse-transformed facial features.
I wouldn't be surprised, haha. I once heard the tenderloin has the highest concentration of registered sex offenders out of any neighborhood in the US. Don't know how true that is, but i could definitely believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
san francisco has a lot of crazy people downtown but they all have jobs and make a lota money.
What? Lol, the things some people say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I don't know how you quantify this, but the angry, aggressive, irrational and apparently homeless people in San Francisco abound in numbers and intrusiveness. They can be very frightening and can turn violent. There are several possible reasons for the problem: (1) The temperate climate which makes outdoor living tenable, (2) the knee-jerk liberal government which seems to think that treating mentally ill people is oppressive and that allowing the problem to progress unabated makes some kind of political statement, (3) the ill-thought-out deinstitutionalization program from the 1960's with the failure to implement the promised community-based alternatives, (4) a completely useless police department that refuses to do anything about anything, (5) a severely misguided laissez-faire mentality that seems to think mental illness is an alternative lifestyle; not necessarily in that order.
Of course we have them in Chicago too, but (1) they have to go indoors in the winter which increases the likelihood they will receive treatment, (2) we have an administration that thinks keeping the city livable for everyone else is important.
No one thinks the treatment of mentally ill people is oppressive, and no one considers mental illness an alternative lifestyle either...not in SF, and not anywhere else that I know of. Many of the old state run mental institutions that were emptied out in the 1980's WERE "oppressive" though, in a sense. There was a lot of underfunding and neglect, and ineffective as well as sometimes downright cruel treatment of patients. Obviously the next chapter ended up even worse though: kick 'em all out on the street.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
Ah KALAMAZOO MICHIGAN I've never in my life seen so many crazies homeless ain't the bad ones this whole city is whacked its dirty too it goes by the zoo seriously its a crazy ville so stop by and check it out please tell me if im wrong

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Skid Row in Los Angeles is up there at the top, at least in total numbers.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
LA seemed to have a lot. Haven't been there since 2008 though. NYC has a lot depending what blocks you walk down. There are usually a lot on 34th street. I hear San Francisco has a lot, at least a lot of bums. I don't know since I haven't been yet, but I'll be there in May. My friend just came back from there and said there were a lot of bums Downtown in SF. Philly surprisingly doesn't have much. Around the Market East area you'll see some characters but the Center City District does a good job of shooing them away in most areas.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
umm NYC duh! NYC has so many homeless just laying around, when i lived their i used to see a naked homeless man run around, i was their a week ago and i when walking down Broadway you just see hundred of homeless people some have cancer some our mentally ill some are freaking crazy one homeless man threatened that the world was going to end just by him pushing a button on the subway. I have never seen so many homeless in my life, NYC is the homeless capital in the world. San Fransico has a good number of homeless too.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdogc View Post
Ah KALAMAZOO MICHIGAN I've never in my life seen so many crazies homeless ain't the bad ones this whole city is whacked its dirty too it goes by the zoo seriously its a crazy ville so stop by and check it out please tell me if im wrong
Funny i had cousins that lived their and never seen not one homeless person.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM

90 posts, read 97,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
When it comes to homeless, the crazies and mentally ills, San Francisco takes the cake. People come to SF and leave in shock.
Anybody who would choose to live in the Bay Area is mentally ill.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Skid Row in Los Angeles is up there at the top, at least in total numbers.
Agreed. It's either LA or SF, and unfortunately I think that it may be LA. Anyone taking a wrong turn into the skid row area at night would be in for a real shock. It's like stuff you only see on TV with what appear to be thousands of homeless wandering around, sleeping on sidewalks, turning tricks all over, shooting up heroin in plain sight...and so on. LA and SF are way ahead of NYC in this statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City