Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times

Advertisements

In another posting, I talk about the terrible experience I had with homeless and mentally ill men approaching me constantly when I was walking around downtown Atlanta. It made me think about the other large cities I had visited and my impression of their downtown areas.

I would have to vote for Atlanta as having the worst downtown among the large American Cities. It looks quite impressive from the highway with all the large buildings but on the street level there seemed to be countless hipsters, gangsters and homeless.

Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill, and other crazy or dangerous people downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 AM

210 posts, read 845,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In another posting, I talk about the terrible experience I had with homeless and mentally ill men approaching me constantly when I was walking around downtown Atlanta. It made me think about the other large cities I had visited and my impression of their downtown areas.

I would have to vote for Atlanta as having the worst downtown among the large American Cities. It looks quite impressive from the highway with all the large buildings but on the street level there seemed to be countless hipsters, gangsters and homeless.

Which large American City has the largest number of mentally ill, and other crazy or dangerous people downtown?
When it comes to homeless, the crazies and mentally ills, San Francisco takes the cake. People come to SF and leave in shock.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Albuquerque while not large has lots of homeless downtown,most people from out of town are surprised at the amount of homeless and mentally ill roaming the downtown streets here,the gangsters like to cruise around downtown checking out the business girls I guess,there is not much to downtown here except a few businesses,banks,bars and strip clubs.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Most of the people that are employed in downtown KC fall into this category.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
From my experience I have to go with San Francisco and NYC. Boston is a close third. The Boston Common and Chinatown are infested with homeless, and many of them of suffer from mental illness.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
The real big cities like SF, Chicago or NYC have so many people on the street that you just blend in. I think the homeless and mentally ill nuts have a bigger effect in a town like Atlanta where there are fewer people on the street.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
san fran and dc. the funniest ones i have seen are in chicago though (where they might throw snowballs at you) or san fran, when they disguise as a bush...

Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
New Orleans anyone?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Most of ours in Philly are concentrated in a large marble building in the middle of Market & Broad Sts. Here is a photo of the Institute for the Criminally Insane, one of the oldest and largest in the country. It's one of the finest examples of Victorian institutional architecture in the US.
http://www.philadelphia-reflections.com/images/philacityhall.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:

So is the thread topic "worst American downtown" or "city with the most mentally ill"?

I have to question how you determined the mental state of passersby on the sidewalk...and you made it very clear in Atlanta section thread that you felt uncomfortable with all the black people Downtown.

Quote:
I was shocked by all the very angry looking Black Men who hung around who looked like they had watched to many Gangster Rap Videos on BET.

I just want to make it clear that no one is able to make such judgements about strangers on the streets - i.e. someone dressed raggedy isn't automatically homeless, and 3 or more black men walking in a group doesn't make them gangsters.

There are tons of people walking around Downtown Atlanta...and thousands of people living in Downtown Atlanta. I was there twice this past weekend - once during the day and once at night - and there was gobs of foot traffic and lively activity both times. I really am wondering if you've been here at all. Did you take any photos? Most people do when they visit a new city.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-20-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City