U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in
Arkansas 25 32.89%
Missouri 51 67.11%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,879,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-StateReppin' View Post
Arkansas all day everyday anyday....I'm proud to be where I'm from southern as they come. People really make me mad always trying to low rate Arkansas just because of what they hear or simply because of the name. And trust when I say its not filled w/ hillbillies cuss I'm defenitly not one far from it. No where else would I ever choose to be. And from everyone I talk to Missouri in some way or form is considered to have southern ways.
Well since you are from Arkansas I would imagine the people you talk to from Missouri are in the parts near Arkansas. There are certainly no Southern ways anywhere around here. In the Southern third of the state there is noticeable Southern influence, but it's not overwhelmingly predominant until you are pretty far south in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,171,018 times
Arkansas.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,288,329 times
I voted for Missouri because I have been in the state several times & really enjoyed water skiing at the Lake of the Ozarks a few times. Also St. Louis is more impressive than most cities in the Midwest & Kansas City is considered a good city to live in [not that Little Rock isn't]. I've never been in Arkansas & I hear it is quite attractive but it has an ugly racial history & seems very backward regarding gay rights [too Southern for me

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 PM

198 posts, read 550,788 times
Missouri by far but of course I'm a little biased. If Arkansas had a decent sized city at least comparable to STL or KC then it might have an edge because the weather is milder. What I like most about living in STL is that it's central to a lot of other cities especially Chicago. I can leave my house at 10 AM and be in Chi Town around 2-3 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

436 posts, read 774,477 times
you people are all exeption of the few are all putting AR down!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM

ok smarty pants its been a year since i was in my geographic class as defined in the U.S. Census Bureau Missouri is in the Mid-west. happy?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Modern definition The states in dark red are almost always included in modern day definitions of the South, while those in medium red are usually included. Maryland and

Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM

Missouri are sometimes considered Southern, while Delaware is only rarely considered part of the South. West Virginia is often considered Southern, because it was once part of Virginia.
Wikipedia

Old 05-02-2009, 02:21 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,879,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
Missouri are sometimes considered Southern, while Delaware is only rarely considered part of the South. West Virginia is often considered Southern, because it was once part of Virginia.
Wikipedia
Sometimes doesn't cut it....and it implies that Missouri is usually included in the Midwest. The U.S. Census Bureau places Missouri in the Midwest and Delaware in the south. Delaware is clearly not southern. Only usually for historical reasons as a border state in the Civil War and before the Civil War is Missouri ever included in the South. You would be very foolish to include Kansas City and St. Louis in the same region as Arkansas...they are solidly Midwestern. You are not doing much to make your case here. Missouri has Southern influences, but it is an overall Midwestern state. The only part of the state that could be considered truly southern is the Mississippi Delta region, which is not even close to a quarter of the state. Even Joplin and Springfield feel very Midwestern compared to most places in Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Add to that my father, a resident of Joplin for over 20 years, doesn't identify with any part of Arkansas except the northwest corner. And he has lived in numerous locations in the south, including Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Louisiana. You might disagree, but where you live in Arkansas, which I'm guessing is in the Arkansas Ozarks, is not in every way, shape, and form identical to the Missouri Ozarks. The Ozarks, at least in much of Missouri have Midwestern, Southern, and their own culture all mixed together. In Arkansas they are more Southern. I have explored the Ozarks in depth for the past two years and I know this to be true.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,937,449 times
I picked Missouri. We lived outside of Springfield and LOVED it there! We wouldn't have moved except my husband's job took us to Georgia. We did spend alot of time in Arkansas though too and that is a beautiful state as well!

editing to add that I wouldn't want to live in Northern Mo and prefer the smaller cities. Reason for leaving Ca...want wide open spaces, not a bunch of concrete and buildings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City