U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 AM

68 posts, read 106,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Heres my list:

Chicago is a major global city, in the top 10 (worldwide) easy
There's no way in hell Chicago is top 10 globally. That's crazy. Top 20, maybe.

Think of all the megacities in the world.

Just off the top of my head...

NYC
LA
Mexico City
Sao Paulo
Rio
Buenos Aires
Tokyo
Osaka
Shanghai
Beijing
Seoul
Bangkok
Mumbai
Cairo
London
Paris
Moscow

There's at least 17 well-developed cities (off the top of my head) that are significantly larger than Chicago, so I would have to say no.

Some are poor, but even the poor ones I choose have huge middle and upper classes, with millions of folks living in prosperity.

I didn't include the poorest megacities that are bigger than Chicago, because they generally don't have well developed middle and professional class. (Lagos, Karachi, Jakarta, Tehran, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM

9,343 posts, read 9,479,509 times
Detroit has the second highest GDP of an Midwest city (after chicago), so detriot., also it is a gateway to Canada.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,164,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
Detroit is the only option.

It's the second largest city, and the second largest economy.

It's also the best known globally among the rest.
I do believe the Twin Cities will pass metro Detroit as the second largest economy in the Midwest, if it hasn't done so already.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 AM

221 posts, read 407,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I do believe the Twin Cities will pass metro Detroit as the second largest economy in the Midwest, if it hasn't done so already.
But right now, Detroit is the second largest city (metro wise) in the midwest. I hope Detroit stays in that second spot, and improves. Detroit is just too great of a city to go to waste. Detroit has way more importance and history (particularly with the automotive industry) than the Twin Cities will ever have. Detroit is as iconic as New York and LA. I'm OK with Chicago being the largest city in the mid-west, but Detroit has always been that "other" city in the midwest, basically a sister city to Chicago, and I want it to stay that way. I'm really rooting for Cleveland and St. Louis to claim that 3rd spot in the midwest (I know, it would be a tie, but I think that's the way it should be).

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Detroit is as iconic as New York and LA. I'm OK with Chicago being the largest city in the mid-west, but Detroit has always been that "other" city in the midwest, basically a sister city to Chicago, and I want it to stay that way.
Yeah, I agree with this.

I know Detroit has fallen on some hard times, but I still think of Chicago and Detroit has the Big 2 of the Midwest.

Really the whole Midwest has been hurting somewhat of late, and Detroit has really been hit hard, but it's still an iconic city known around the world. The Twin Cities are coming up strong, but I guarantee that Detroit is still much better known worldwide than Minneapolis.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM

335 posts, read 562,706 times
Minneapolis has a larger economy them detroit.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,056,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
There's no way in hell Chicago is top 10 globally. That's crazy. Top 20, maybe.

Think of all the megacities in the world.

Just off the top of my head...

NYC
LA
Mexico City
Sao Paulo
Rio
Buenos Aires
Tokyo
Osaka
Shanghai
Beijing
Seoul
Bangkok
Mumbai
Cairo
London
Paris
Moscow

There's at least 17 well-developed cities (off the top of my head) that are significantly larger than Chicago, so I would have to say no.

Some are poor, but even the poor ones I choose have huge middle and upper classes, with millions of folks living in prosperity.

I didn't include the poorest megacities that are bigger than Chicago, because they generally don't have well developed middle and professional class. (Lagos, Karachi, Jakarta, Tehran, etc.)
Google this, like I did, and you'll see that Chicago is usually ranked 6th, worldwide. I'll post a link if you need me to.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM

626 posts, read 753,452 times
Chicago
Detroit
MSP
STL
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Columbus
Cincinnati

Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,405,697 times
Minneapolis
Detroit
Kansas City
Milwaukee
Columbus
Indianapolis

Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Chicago
Detroit
MSP
STL
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Columbus
Cincinnati
I would agree with this list, except for Cincy.

Cincy is actually bigger than Cleveland, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Columbus. It should probably be ahead of all (Cleveland is arguable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or