U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,745 posts, read 3,440,331 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

The most Mormon cities as far as I am concerned are all in the west. They were kicked out of the Midwest, especially by Missouri and Illinois, back in the 1800s. Salt Lake City is unquestionably Mormon Capital of the United States. In my neighborhood however, is a Mormon family, but they are the only Mormons I have ever met in St. Louis, though I am sure there are a few of them (there is a Mormon church off Interstate 64 in Chesterfield). Unquestionably though, I would say the most Mormons are in the Western states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Reputation: 10722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The most Mormon cities as far as I am concerned are all in the west. They were kicked out of the Midwest, especially by Missouri and Illinois, back in the 1800s. Salt Lake City is unquestionably Mormon Capital of the United States. In my neighborhood however, is a Mormon family, but they are the only Mormons I have ever met in St. Louis, though I am sure there are a few of them (there is a Mormon church off Interstate 64 in Chesterfield). Unquestionably though, I would say the most Mormons are in the Western states.
St Louis has a temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
 
3,547 posts, read 4,924,122 times
Reputation: 1547
I've heard St. Louis is as Catholic as Salt Lake City is Mormon. Definitely a stretch, but still an interesting comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
 
9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Reputation: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've heard St. Louis is as Catholic as Salt Lake City is Mormon. Definitely a stretch, but still an interesting comparison.
That is interesting. Saint Louis has a Mormon temple, and Salt Lake City has a very nice Catholic cathedral--on land donated by the Mormon church, I might add.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Reputation: 10722
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is interesting. Saint Louis has a Mormon temple, and Salt Lake City has a very nice Catholic cathedral--on land donated by the Mormon church, I might add.
Coincidentally, last year the LDS Church announced that a temple will be built in Rome.

On this site.
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/rome/construction/images/rome_lds_mormon_temple12.jpg?1224626255 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
 
3,547 posts, read 4,924,122 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is interesting. Saint Louis has a Mormon temple, and Salt Lake City has a very nice Catholic cathedral--on land donated by the Mormon church, I might add.
Yeah, and Salt Lake City has the Salt Lake Temple:


While St. Louis has the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,737,595 times
Reputation: 2611
Mormons in the Southeast:

Atlanta

Atlanta Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23895000@N03/2274187853/ - broken link)

Demonstrating for marriage equality at the Georgia State Capitol:

111508144001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7835989@N08/3035965234/ - broken link)


Washington D.C.

Washington Temple, 2008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/photodon/2640750957/ - broken link)


Birmingham


http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphshipp/423574502/ (broken link)


Orlando

Orlando Florida Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoovroo/3345043431/ - broken link)


Columbia

Columbia SC (106) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphshipp/423563519/ - broken link)


Raleigh

raleigh_lds_mormon_temple2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35847349@N05/3316667074/ - broken link)


Nashville

nashville_lds_mormon_temple4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35847349@N05/3316641032/ - broken link)


Memphis

The Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazy_gonka/133732167/ - broken link)


Louisville

SH #47 - a place of worship on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76292865@N00/2766965638/ - broken link)


Baton Rouge

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeanschex/3001431220/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Reputation: 10722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah, and Salt Lake City has the Salt Lake Temple:


While St. Louis has the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis:
The Salt Lake Temple sits in an area of Downtown Salt Lake known as Temple Square.


In this area are a few buildings of note, aside from the Temple

Across the street from the Salt Lake Temple is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Conference Center is the largest theater-style auditorium in the world, with seating for 21,000






The LDS Church Family History Library is the largest genealogical facility in the world.



The LDS Church Office Building is the global administrative headquarters of the largest US-founded church.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,290 posts, read 33,010,189 times
Reputation: 10722
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Mormons in the Southeast:

Atlanta

Atlanta Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23895000@N03/2274187853/ - broken link)

Demonstrating for marriage equality at the Georgia State Capitol:

111508144001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7835989@N08/3035965234/ - broken link)


Washington D.C.

Washington Temple, 2008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/photodon/2640750957/ - broken link)


Birmingham


Birmingham Alabama (3026) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphshipp/423574502/ - broken link)


Orlando

Orlando Florida Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoovroo/3345043431/ - broken link)


Columbia

Columbia SC (106) on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralphshipp/423563519/ - broken link)


Raleigh

raleigh_lds_mormon_temple2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35847349@N05/3316667074/ - broken link)


Nashville

nashville_lds_mormon_temple4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/35847349@N05/3316641032/ - broken link)


Memphis

The Temple on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazy_gonka/133732167/ - broken link)


Louisville

SH #47 - a place of worship on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76292865@N00/2766965638/ - broken link)


Baton Rouge

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeanschex/3001431220/ - broken link)
cool.

The increased demand for temples in the mid to late 1990s made making smaller yet functional temples necessary-in order to control costs and steamline the building process.

So many, many temples built around the turn of the century look the same.

For example, Memphis and Birmingham's Temple are identical to..

Brisbane, Australia


Assuncion, Paraguay


and so on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,737,595 times
Reputation: 2611
I noticed that they all look very similar...but Atlanta, D.C. and Orlando don't have that same kind of look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top