Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 PM

136 posts, read 266,130 times

Advertisements

Well, considering that I don't think Papoose is that nice and that random chicks bump to pop music, I'd go with Zoe...but that doesn't make him hot.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I like both to be honest. I realize that NYC came up with it (influenced by us of course) and the correct formula is to have good lyrics but I like lyrics at a Southern angle (Luda, T.I., Andre 3000, Bun B, Wale*, etc). To NYCRican, Soulja Boy's from Chicago and moved to ATL, he's a school aged kid, google superman that h*e to get the meaning of his song (it's pretty stupid once you know what he's talking about). *The guy reps the DMV, so hey...
Hold up. Im from the bronx. And im around alot of the original raw culture. Hip hop is a nyc created art form how do u figure urban bronx kids were influenced by the south. The only thing close would be the early james brown samples. But nothing wasnt really influenced by the south

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,661,617 times
The music was,not the culture,The South certainly didn't invent the 4 elements.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,065,692 times
The south didn't invent the music either. Lol. Planet rock, rappers delight. looking for the perfect beat. All that early hip hop is straight new york

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,614,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Hold up. Im from the bronx. And im around alot of the original raw culture. Hip hop is a nyc created art form how do u figure urban bronx kids were influenced by the south. The only thing close would be the early james brown samples. But nothing wasnt really influenced by the south
You are correct and so am I (I just worded it wrong). I should have said that it was a diverse blend of styles and R&B, Soul, and Funk was a big part of that blend, Latin and the rest of the Islands played a large part too.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM

504 posts, read 1,573,747 times
Are you serious. Down South Hip hop is mostly commercialized foolishness. (with the exception of Outkast, luda, Scarface, and maybe UGK rest in peace Pimp C)

Too much young this and lil that.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,106,988 times
That $hit aint hip hop! As soon as I hear it on the radio, I hit the dial. It's ring tone rap. Only a few southern artist are respected in the rap community such as T.I., Outcast, UGK, Scarface and others. Rick Ross is nice. Lyrically the south need to step up its game as a whole.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
You lost me at Rick Ross is nice. Nothing good about him at all.

BTW, the South doesn't need to step it's game up. The record companies need to step it's game up. The following rappers are just as great lyrically.

Cunninlynguists
K-Otix
Kay
Little Brother
Supastition
Strange Fruit Project
Verbal Seed
K-Rino
Cyne
Dead Prez
H.I.S.D. (Heuston Independent Spit District)
The entire South Park Coalition

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You lost me at Rick Ross is nice. Nothing good about him at all.

BTW, the South doesn't need to step it's game up. The record companies need to step it's game up. The following rappers are just as great lyrically.

Cunninlynguists
K-Otix
Kay
Little Brother
Supastition
Strange Fruit Project-REPPIN WACO,TX!!
Verbal Seed - My dad use to work with these dudes, I just saw one of them last time I was down there.
K-Rino
Cyne
Dead Prez
H.I.S.D. (Heuston Independent Spit District)
The entire South Park Coalition
The north hasn't been exactly putting out any good mainstream music either, so both the south and north are suffering. I did like Lil Wayne's - P****,money,weed song though. Nice, chill beat.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,953,041 times
In general I like the sound and musical creativity of southern hip hop to northern hip hop these days. And in general I have liked the creativity of southern hip hop music videos to northern, which always seems to shoot videos with backdrops of never ending concrete and brick. Having said that, there are particular northern hip hop artists whose music I've counted amongst my favorites- Run DMC, Rakim, Biggie, Jay-Zee, and my favorite hip hop group of all time- A Tribe Called Quest. I've only liked a few of LL's songs here and there.

But I really find the musical style infectious for artists like Outkast, Ludacris, Timbaland, Missy Elliot, TI, Lil John, Jermaine Dupree, Young Jeezy, Yung Joc, TLC back in the day, UGK, David Banner, and sometimes CeeLo Green. And there was also that period where Florida had that "drop" with some of the deepest bass ever in hip hop music. Modern post-DMC/CoolJ/KoolMoeDee/turntable northern hip hop has been more lyrical than musical, with the exception of Biggie, Jay-Zee, and Tribe,who all consistently added infectious musical tracks to voice the rhymes over. Modern southern hip hop has been tremendously musical, with some of the best beats and tracks in hip hop coming from there with good lyrics over the top. I just find myself being able to sit still in general for more northern songs than southern songs.

Oh, and as far as the top selling rapper out now, I really like the music in Lil Wayne's songs, but he is actually one of the worst rappers I've ever heard. He raps like he's high and just saying stupid stuff and goofing off. All the rappers in that list of southern artists I just gave are easily 10 times better than Wayne. And that crabby voice gets to be downright annoying. He and Ja Rule ought to do an album and call it Crabby and Raspy.

Last edited by MantaRay; 04-22-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City