U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 90 44.78%
New York City 111 55.22%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,549,612 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Queens Trolleys in the 1930s: Future Sites of the Long Island Expressway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:21 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,549,612 times

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,441,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have lived in the greater NYC area/North Jersey my entire life, and I have noticed that people around here DO NOT like nature. Suggest a camping trip around here and people look at you like you just asked if they wanted to vacation in Darfur, and the closest thing to a "hike" the people in this area are use to is either walking down the street to the latest "it" bar or walking through the mall for yet another pair of eighty dollar sweat pants with the word "Pink" written on the booty.

Most people in the NYC area have no interest in nature so of course, mentioning mount Rainer or Olympic National Park temperate rainforest (like, umm, what's a temperate rainforest?) is not going to be convincing.

Still, the Catskills, not terribly far from NYC, in the fall is amazing.
Haha where exactly have you lived? I think that you have not lived in NYC at all. There are a lot of people in NYC that loves nature. That is why we go to Upstate NY we go places like to Bear Mountain. I don't think you have heard it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I had more fun in two weeks of Austin than I have my last fifty visits to the City. In Austin, there is non of this pretentious, Sex in the City attitude and fashion victim excess you have in NYC. Not to mention the music scene in Austin is actually the same size, if not bigger, than that of NYC, despite being a smaller city.

In Austin, everybody goes out and has fun...in NYC, everybody goes out to be seen (because, like, having fun went out of style like three years ago!)

It just depends on what your into...if you like fashion, finance, over paying for everything, than NYC is for you. If you like fun, music, and being a happy working class looser, than Austin is the city for you.

Anyway, everyone I know who has been there says there is the one city that, without a doubt, kicks NYCs sorry, Prada clad backside: BERLIN.

Berlin survived world wars and still emerged a fantastic city...NYC couldn't even survive Giuliani without loosing just about all the local color an flavor that made it great.

Still, I take Seattle, for the same reason I take a nice croque monsieur over a McDonald's Big Mac: I prefer quality over quantity.
Hahaha, this is very funny "In Austin, everybody goes out and has fun...in NYC, everybody goes out to be seen (because, like, having fun went out of style like three years ago!)" Did you forget that NYC is a party city? The Clubs closes at 5am. NYC gets more tourists than Austin. Are these tourist want to be seen too? No, they go to NYC to have fun..

Also, you noted "Not to mention the music scene in Austin is actually the same size, if not bigger, than that of NYC, despite being a smaller city. "

This one is a joke too. How can the music scene in Austin be bigger than NYC's? NYC is more diversed than Austin. In NYC you can find different type of music scenes due to the fact that we are a melting pot.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,441,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not quite, but it might be more true in the future as Seattle is diversifying, densifying, and trying to get its act together with public transportation. However, it's certainly chillier and cloudier than the Bay Area in general. You aren't going to escape the bugaboo of earthquakes though--the entire West Coast is on the Pacific ring of fire.
NYC has the best public system and also NYC is growing more in diversity. So NY still wins.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM

22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Haha where exactly have you lived? I think that you have not lived in NYC at all. There are a lot of people in NYC that loves nature. That is why we go to Upstate NY we go places like to Bear Mountain. I don't think you have heard it though.
This is probably the only point that I think is definitely true. People in NYC simply aren't as interested in outdoor activities out in the wilderness/semi-wilderness as their counterparts in the West and they have fewer and less dramatic options. I'm off and on with the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference and compared to a similar body out in California, there really is just less participation and interest in general.

Quote:

Also, you noted "Not to mention the music scene in Austin is actually the same size, if not bigger, than that of NYC, despite being a smaller city. "

This one is a joke too. How can the music scene in Austin be bigger than NYC's? NYC is more diversed than Austin. In NYC you can find different type of music scenes due to the fact that we are a melting pot.
victorianpunk is being narrow in his scope and citing a particular kind of scene (figuring from his screenname and the kind of things he seems to want). In that very narrow sense, then Austin is on par with NYC. However, NYC has a lot more musical diversity and these different "scenes" can inform each other which is something Austin doesn't really have.

Quote:
NYC has the best public system and also NYC is growing more in diversity. So NY still wins.
This isn't a matter of winning so much as answering a question about whether or not Racheal might actually find what she wants in Seattle in the future.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 PM

172 posts, read 214,395 times
New York City:

Last edited by gulfstreamliberal; 02-28-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
New York City:
[3rd picture] - talk about privacy

Anyways, nice picture of NYC!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM

17,259 posts, read 19,555,335 times
What kind of a poll is this? Seattle is nowhere near as fascinating as New York City.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,835,009 times
I said it earlier in the thread, why compare the #1 city/metro in the world with the #13 in the U.S.?

It's like the New Orleans Saints taking on a high school football team. Don't get me wrong...Seattle is a very good city with many attributes, (I'm a native), but to compare it to NY is insane.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I said it earlier in the thread, why compare the #1 city/metro in the world with the #13 in the U.S.?

It's like the New Orleans Saints taking on a high school football team. Don't get me wrong...Seattle is a very good city with many attributes, (I'm a native), but to compare it to NY is insane.
I prefer my cities clean and green. Seattle offers more in a city than New York City could ever offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or