U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 90 44.78%
New York City 111 55.22%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
The second city (slipping into irrelevance with its plummeting population and its second class culture) aka Chicago is much filthier than Seattle.

If clean and green are your sole requirements, you've failed miserably with the selection of Chicago. How laughable.

Try Seattle.
Whatever you need to tell yourself, Dementor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, tell me about it. There's actually some pretty good stuff even within reach of public transportation (which is amazing) and almost no one here I've met here knows of it (much less have any interest when told about it). I kind of want to slap them with a fat cod.
Less than an hour from NYC is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen: Kaaterskill Falls. A two-tier waterfall that is just a quarter mile hike away from free parking. It is BREATHTAKING, especially in the fall when all the trees change color and the golden leaves lie in the stream and pools like golden coins in some giant's lair:

kaaterskill falls - Google Search

But, NONE of the New Yorkers I know have ever heard of it and have no interest in seeing it or any of the other natural beauty of New York state. They would rather have a half million dollar summer share for two weeks at the Hamptons to "be seen" than ever go out and see the mountains that inspired the great artists Hudson River school of landscape paintings. Thing is, in those beautiful mountains and forests, there is no one there to see you in your "it" outfit and one cannot wear high heels while hiking, so for a New New Yorker "like, ohh my gawd like, what's the point? That is so, like, not fabulous!"

However, I have yet to meet one person from Seattle who did not mention Mount Rainer, North Cascades or Olympic National park in their short list of why Seattle is such a great city.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,836,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Less than an hour from NYC is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen: Kaaterskill Falls. A two-tier waterfall that is just a quarter mile hike away from free parking. It is BREATHTAKING, especially in the fall when all the trees change color and the golden leaves lie in the stream and pools like golden coins in some giant's lair:

kaaterskill falls - Google Search

But, NONE of the New Yorkers I know have ever heard of it and have no interest in seeing it or any of the other natural beauty of New York state. They would rather have a half million dollar summer share for two weeks at the Hamptons to "be seen" than ever go out and see the mountains that inspired the great artists Hudson River school of landscape paintings. Thing is, in those beautiful mountains and forests, there is no one there to see you in your "it" outfit and one cannot wear high heels while hiking, so for a New New Yorker "like, ohh my gawd like, what's the point? That is so, like, not fabulous!"

However, I have yet to meet one person from Seattle who did not mention Mount Rainer, North Cascades or Olympic National park in their short list of why Seattle is such a great city.
Fantastic post...(I love sarcasm!)

Two weeks of "being seen" is so darn important!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,748,788 times
There is one thing NO ONE can deny Seattle beats NYC in...smell. I am sorry, but my nose does work, and few things in my life make me want to gag as much as being in NYC in the summer, where it routinely hits 90-100 degrees, and smelling all the rotting garbage, the unwashed bodies, the filth, the smog, and the way-too-much perfume from the fashion-victims that call NYC home all stewing together in one big pot.

Not to mention that "WTF" smell of the subway platforms in the summer time... Words cannot explain what the smell of the garbage, the rat poison, and the smell of so many sweating bodies packed together in that inferno is like.

In Seattle, it rarely gets to 90 degrees and when the wind is blowing right, the scent of the forest on the Olympic pennisula carries over the sound and you just smell a faint pine smell in the air all around the city (real pine, not the fake smell coming off that little cardboard tree in the taxi cab)

Sounds like a small thing, but I could not imagine living in NYC and having to smell that every single day.

Last edited by victorianpunk; 02-28-2010 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: spelling clean up

Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 PM

65 posts, read 221,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
There is one thing NO ONE can deny Seattle beats NYC in...smell. I am sorry, but my noise does work, and few things in my life make me want to gag as much as being in NYC in the summer, where it routinely hits 90-100 degrees, and smelling all the rotting garbage, the unwashed bodies, the filth, the smog, and the way-too-much perfume from the fashion-victims that call NYC home all stewing together in one big pot.

Not to mention that "WTF" smell of the subway platforms in the summer time... Words cannot explain how the smell of the garbage, the rat poison, and the smell of so many swetting bodies packed together in that inferno is like.

In Seattle, it rarely gets to to 90 degrees and when the wind is blowing right, the scent of the forest on the Olympic pennisula carries over the sound and you just smell a faint pine smell in the air all around the city (real pine, not the fake smell coming off that little cardboard tree in the taxi cab)

Sounds like a small thing, but I could not imagine living in NYC and having to smell that every single day.
Ya summers in New York are brutal compared to Seattle. Another thing you mention is the air quality which I notice is significantly worse in NYC.

All and all I will say that people in NYC just are not very outdoorsy. And like a poster stated above they would rather be seen in some crappy place like the Hamptons. Thats ok not every place can be the same... Oh well

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,984,234 times
The question read: Which of these fascinating U.S. cities would you move to if given the finances and opportunity to move to, Seattle or New York City? Why? The question is totally fair.
We know New York is the all mighty but given the finances I would definately move to Seattle. And since I have lived in NY and live in Seattle now Seattle is my choice. Cheaper, greener, cleaner, less crowded. Unsurpassed natural beauty(which I never get tired of looking at), dense hoods along with beautiful single family hoods, no blizzards, no oppressive heat and humidity. I also met many New Yorkers making Seattle their new home.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Plus, flannel shirts are retro cool!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM

172 posts, read 214,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The question read: Which of these fascinating U.S. cities would you move to if given the finances and opportunity to move to, Seattle or New York City? Why? The question is totally fair.
We know New York is the all mighty but given the finances I would definately move to Seattle. And since I have lived in NY and live in Seattle now Seattle is my choice. Cheaper, greener, cleaner, less crowded. Unsurpassed natural beauty(which I never get tired of looking at), dense hoods along with beautiful single family hoods, no blizzards, no oppressive heat and humidity. I also met many New Yorkers making Seattle their new home.
That's what old people like.

Even if then, there is this thing called Greenwich, Connecticut. Hello.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM

From this thread, NY'ers are generally quite defensive!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,984,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
That's what old people like.

Even if then, there is this thing called Greenwich, Connecticut. Hello.
That's what old people like? What on earth are you talking about? And please don't bring in some town 30 miles outside of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or