U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 90 44.78%
New York City 111 55.22%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,890,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
There is one thing NO ONE can deny Seattle beats NYC in...smell. I am sorry, but my nose does work, and few things in my life make me want to gag as much as being in NYC in the summer, where it routinely hits 90-100 degrees, and smelling all the rotting garbage, the unwashed bodies, the filth, the smog, and the way-too-much perfume from the fashion-victims that call NYC home all stewing together in one big pot.

Not to mention that "WTF" smell of the subway platforms in the summer time... Words cannot explain what the smell of the garbage, the rat poison, and the smell of so many sweating bodies packed together in that inferno is like.

In Seattle, it rarely gets to 90 degrees and when the wind is blowing right, the scent of the forest on the Olympic pennisula carries over the sound and you just smell a faint pine smell in the air all around the city (real pine, not the fake smell coming off that little cardboard tree in the taxi cab)

Sounds like a small thing, but I could not imagine living in NYC and having to smell that every single day.

hahahahah ny does stink in the summer... like a diaper full of shrimp mixed with mop water. and the subways in the summer are like 120 degrees with 100% humidity. disgusting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM

172 posts, read 214,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
From this thread, NY'ers are generally quite defensive!
Not being defensive, just honest.

But it's ultimately a waste of time seeing New York City is already America's favorite city. LOL.

PORTLAND, OREGON NAMED TOP UNDERRATED AND CLEANEST U.S. CITY, BUT TRAVELERS THROW DETROIT UNDER THE SUV - With Photos

Favorite City
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago and Boston (tie)

Americans do find Seattle to be the healthiest.

Healthiest
Seattle

PS, ...I don't have a negative opinion of Seattle.

Last edited by gulfstreamliberal; 02-28-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Less than an hour from NYC is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen: Kaaterskill Falls. A two-tier waterfall that is just a quarter mile hike away from free parking. It is BREATHTAKING, especially in the fall when all the trees change color and the golden leaves lie in the stream and pools like golden coins in some giant's lair:

kaaterskill falls - Google Search

But, NONE of the New Yorkers I know have ever heard of it and have no interest in seeing it or any of the other natural beauty of New York state. They would rather have a half million dollar summer share for two weeks at the Hamptons to "be seen" than ever go out and see the mountains that inspired the great artists Hudson River school of landscape paintings. Thing is, in those beautiful mountains and forests, there is no one there to see you in your "it" outfit and one cannot wear high heels while hiking, so for a New New Yorker "like, ohh my gawd like, what's the point? That is so, like, not fabulous!"

However, I have yet to meet one person from Seattle who did not mention Mount Rainer, North Cascades or Olympic National park in their short list of why Seattle is such a great city.
There is some truth in this. Unfortunately today, alot of people rather vacation on a beach to get a tan than to actually DO SOMETHING. But don't kid yourself, I think if Seattle had sunny swimming beaches like those in the Mid-Atlantic area, many Seattle peeps would probably do the same thing.

Now there are alot of attractions in the NYC area (and the Northeast in general) so things like hiking might get overlooked by many people. But there are still plenty of NYC area people that go fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, etc. We did not build such large local and state park systems in the Northeast just for the hell of it.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM

What is so good about hiking?

I've hiked/camped/whatever in some podunk place in Colorado and I still have nightmares about the entire experience (I'm not joking either -- I've literally had a nightmare about it).

It was by far the worst "vacation" I've ever experienced. Never again. Complete waste of time and a huge safety hazard.

I never want to be in the away from civilization ever again.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,746,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
The Hamptons,....crappy? Says someone who couldn't even afford to eat in the Hamptons, let alone own any sort of property. The Hamptons is glorious.

Only ugly poor people who wear awful shoes care about crap like waterfalls and mountains. What important/good looking/fabulous person has even given a mountain a second look?

Have you been to the Hamptons, anyway? If so, who invited you? I'm sure there's some hideous flannel shirt convention you should have been at back in Seattle.

This has GOT to be a parody/sarcasm post. If it isn't, than it is further proof why I feel Seattle is a much better city than NYC.

I personally prefer this:

YouTube - Into the Wild - Trailer

Over this anyday:

YouTube - SEX AND THE CITY TRAILER

Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,398,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Not being defensive, just honest.

But it's ultimately a waste of time seeing New York City is already America's favorite city. LOL.

PORTLAND, OREGON NAMED TOP UNDERRATED AND CLEANEST U.S. CITY, BUT TRAVELERS THROW DETROIT UNDER THE SUV - With Photos

Favorite City
1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago and Boston (tie)

I guess Americans don't care too much for Seattle, although they do find it the healthiest.

Healthiest
Seattle

PS, ...I don't have a negative opinion of Seattle.
You are using opinion surveys. I can show you the same that says that New York City is the worst in the world and that some city in Russia is the best.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You are using opinion surveys.
Really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I can show you the same that says that New York City is the worst in the world and that some city in Russia is the best.
Go ahead...find it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-01-2010 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,833,305 times
Haha, I'm beginning to think that half the posts on this thread are "tongue-in-cheek".

Why don't we just summarize:

NYC is far bigger than Seattle.

Seattle is far more livable than NYC.

NYC has more of everything...I mean EVERYTHING!

Seattle has a lot of natural beauty.

I will say, again, this is not a good city vs. city, but perhaps it has riled a lot of people up, and that is in the end the point of this part of CD, I guess.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Haha, I'm beginning to think that half the posts on this thread are "tongue-in-cheek".

Why don't we just summarize:

NYC is far bigger than Seattle.

Seattle is far more livable than NYC.

NYC has more of everything...I mean EVERYTHING!

Seattle has a lot of natural beauty.

I will say, again, this is not a good city vs. city, but perhaps it has riled a lot of people up, and that is in the end the point of this part of CD, I guess.
Seattle is a very nice city -- take it from someone like me who has traveled the world and excels in the taste department.

Chicago on the other hand.....

Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM

3,970 posts, read 11,833,305 times
lol, gulf... I like all three, NY, Chi, and Sea. Really. They all have different qualities. But I can see the rivalry between NYC and Chi...the comparison to Sea is a bit of a stretch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or