Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 91 45.05%
New York City 111 54.95%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Seattle lol please..
I'm not from NY, I'm from D.C. born and raised so my opinion isn't biased. But the career I'm pursuing in is public transportation and NYC has the best in the field. Plus I like the BIG city atmosphere, skyscrapers, high rises, diversity, food, people, etc.

Plus I don't think I can live outside of the BosWash region.
I use to think the same thing until I took a trip to Seattle and the PNW. I never looked back. I enjoyed my like back east but I was ready for change. New York to visit but Seattle to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 AM

6,182 posts, read 11,790,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
This kind of attitude is exactly what makes me hate New York (and a lot of the East Coast).

Seattle for the people and the nature.
I feel the same way. Its mainly Northeasterners that I can't stand, and the posters on this forum from that area really show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
Some of you need to calm down. New York City like wins EVERY SINGLE poll on City-Data, but lots of you guys are still so defensive. It's like some of you guys are sour winners.

I'm from Seattle, but there is no way Seattle is a better city than NYC. It may be a more comfortable city for people, many of us prefer it, but it's not a better city. NY on paper is prob the most powerful, admired city and most successful city in the world. It's a spectacular world class city. Its only true competitor is London.

But I would rather live in Seattle. It's my home. I'm not going anywhere.
NYC might be more powerful and that's a fact, but its not necessarily "better" (that's only one's opinion). London is comparable to NYC, but it feels more like a "Seattle on steroids" than like NYC. The overall vibe of London is much more relaxed and friendlier than NYC and more on the level of Seattle's, and you don't hear Londoners bragging about how great their city is.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM

183 posts, read 599,662 times
A city where the wealthy people and tourists dominate the attendees at most places you'd go for entertainment (since they live closer to those things and have more time and a lot more money), kind of loses its appeal unless you're one of them. When Williamsburg became just as expensive, and in some apartments even more, as the East Village, that was it for a lot of people (who aren't rich and aren't living in suburbs with family). They admire NYC, but know they can't afford to live a decent life in it (the affordable areas in Bushwick on the L are remote former industrial areas, fugly, not dense, few locals around). You still see trendy looking single twenty somethings in Williamsburg. Native New Yorkers still call them "hipsters," which is inaccurate. Even though they share some lifestyle similarities (because young rich people want to be cool too), they're snotty, out of touch people in their personalities. The struggling artists of past move to other cities now like Austin, Portland, LA, Oakland (not SF much anymore for the same reason). There are so many of the wealthy transplants in the best areas for single people most of the time that you'll rarely ever hear a stereotypical native New York/NJ/Staten Island accent.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM

630 posts, read 989,095 times
Now, that's a close tie. Seattle can mimmick Grenwich Village by Mount Raineer. The northern part of downtown(north of West Lake shopping center) looks like Grenwich Village. They're both fun!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
What on Earth am I missing about Seattle's weather?! What is so great about it -- it rains or drizzles daily and is cloudy more than 50% of the time! Yes, it gets below 32 degrees in NYC......is that what makes its weather "bad"? It's amazing to me how afraid most of the nation is of chilly weather!

I would (blindly) bet that NYC has a warmer average temperature than Seattle does for a full calendar year (the average 365 day temp, that is).

*Edit: it is:

NYC: 54.7
SEA: 52.8
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM

183 posts, read 599,662 times
It's the hot and humid summers, cold winters, and crazy unpredictable weather. NYC just got hit by Sandy and now they're about to get hit by a Nor'Eastern, high winds, rain and snow. Very cold weather like the northeast gets is physically painful. People hate it. They bundle up in thick layers and still avoid being out in the cold air as much as possible. Mildly cold weather (lows rarely below freezing) is a different story.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What on Earth am I missing about Seattle's weather?! What is so great about it -- it rains or drizzles daily and is cloudy more than 50% of the time! Yes, it gets below 32 degrees in NYC......is that what makes its weather "bad"? It's amazing to me how afraid most of the nation is of chilly weather!

I would (blindly) bet that NYC has a warmer average temperature than Seattle does for a full calendar year (the average 365 day temp, that is).

*Edit: it is:

NYC: 54.7
SEA: 52.8
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I would take Seattle weather over New York or any mid Atlantic/east coast city. The difference to me is Seattle's summers are the best. Sunny, low humidity, long days with sunsets close to 10pm and comfortable temps in the 70s and 80s. In all the places I lived in Seattle, none had ac; not even a window unit. It just isn't needed. Falls many times are like indian summers and as quiet as its kept, fall folliage is spectacular. The difference in winters is that New York is colder with more snow and sleet. Seattle is warmer with more clouds and rain For me though the rain doesn't bother me because the rain most of the time isn't heavy and honestly is way over exaggerated imo. The winter differences are Seattle has many leafy evergreens, flowers, vegetation and green grass which for me makes it quite pleasant. I remember after fall everything back east is brown and bare. Seattle's weather is quite pleasant imo.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
It's the hot and humid summers, cold winters, and crazy unpredictable weather. NYC just got hit by Sandy and now they're about to get hit by a Nor'Eastern, high winds, rain and snow. Very cold weather like the northeast gets is physically painful. People hate it. They bundle up in thick layers and still avoid being out in the cold air as much as possible. Mildly cold weather (lows rarely below freezing) is a different story.
I like seeing the sun.
^^
I do a lot of traveling in the summer so a city's summer weather temperature is pretty much nil. Plus I grew up in Florida so summer heat is whatever.

How about that Seattle is the most northern major city in the continental U.S. making it get dark extra early, combined with the lowest sunshine of any major city in the winter.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I would take Seattle weather over New York or any mid Atlantic/east coast city. The difference to me is Seattle's summers are the best. Sunny, low humidity, long days with sunsets close to 10pm and comfortable temps in the 70s and 80s. In all the places I lived in Seattle, none had ac; not even a window unit. It just isn't needed. Falls many times are like indian summers and as quiet as its kept, fall folliage is spectacular. The difference in winters is that New York is colder with more snow and sleet. Seattle is warmer with more clouds and rain For me though the rain doesn't bother me because the rain most of the time isn't heavy and honestly is way over exaggerated imo. The winter differences are Seattle has many leafy evergreens, flowers, vegetation and green grass which for me makes it quite pleasant. I remember after fall everything back east is brown and bare. Seattle's weather is quite pleasant imo.
I like upper 70's as well (love it, actually), but in Seattle I'd almost NEVER want to go swimming outside, since I generally don't dip into the water unless it's over 85 degrees. That'd be a buzz kill for me. That, and the general cloudiness/wetness. It's not the amount of rain that bothers me, it's that rain makes everything wet and makes life outside more difficult (especially most sports).

My folks now live in San Francisco (which is possibly even more ideal weather-wise) and yet they miss the change of seasons in the Midwest where the came from a few years ago. The conclusion I have come to is this: weather will never make you happy all by itself.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I like seeing the sun.
^^
I do a lot of traveling in the summer so a city's summer weather temperature is pretty much nil. Plus I grew up in Florida so summer heat is whatever.

How about that Seattle is the most northern major city in the continental U.S. making it get dark extra early, combined with the lowest sunshine of any major city in the winter.
I got to admit (since Mpls is the 3rd Northern-most major city, behind Portland, or tied -- pretty much right on the 45th parallel), having early nightfall in winter kinda sucks, but having the sun stay out until 9:30 in the summertime is pretty awesome -- a silver lining to the more extreme sun angles north of the 45th parallel!

By the way, just for reference-sake, Monte Carlo and the French Riviera are JUST South of the 45th parallel, and Rome, Italy is at about the same lattitude as Chicago, IL. I thought that was mind-boggling how much the ocean affects weather in Europe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City