U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If given the finances and opportunity, which city would you move to:
Seattle 90 44.78%
New York City 111 55.22%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,978,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
I agree with you that Seattle has a lot more greenery, but dont put it past NY that it doesnt fall far behind. You can travel 40 mins out to NJ or even LI and get forests and land. Last weekend I went camping in LI, it was amazing, right near the beach....other then that there is always central park
But here in Seattle we don't have to travel 40 minutes to see greenery, we have it right here in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
I agree with you that Seattle has a lot more greenery, but dont put it past NY that it doesnt fall far behind. You can travel 40 mins out to NJ or even LI and get forests and land. Last weekend I went camping in LI, it was amazing, right near the beach....other then that there is always central park
I live 20 minutes from the GW Bridge, and another 15 minutes north of me is Harriman State Park. I hike there all the time. It's NOT nearly as big as the Cascades or Mt. Rainier, but it IS big enough to go deep, deep into woods and be secluded. You would never know you're withing 40 minutes of midtown Manhattan. And that's just one example. NY does have plenty of escapes.

The difference is that in Seattle if you just leave the city area, you are in the country, the nature is all around you. In NYC, you have to know where you're going, or else you'll just end up driving through suburban sprawl for 100's of miles. For example, from the GW Bridge, I take the Palisade's Parkway North, and have done so for years. I never knew until recent years that along the Palisades are small pockets of woods and trails where one can go and be completely secluded from the highway and "civilization". It's rather amazing, but if I didn't seek it out and find it, I'd have driven by it for the rest of my life.

In Seattle, I would drive right out of the Seattle area and into the Cascades and nature is all around, no need to seek it out, it's all over.

So your post makes a great point! Rep+ to you!

And good point re: the beach - I've been countless times to the Jersey Shore of course and I also have camped out on the beach in Montauk, LI, and those are experiences I would never get in Seattle.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I can't believe someone is still up, besides myself. But it should'nt be a surpise, you're probably a New Yorker!

I would stay up all night if I didn't have to wake up at 6am for work lol. Staying up real late just comes natural to me, no matter how tiring teaching is

Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
But here in Seattle we don't have to travel 40 minutes to see greenery, we have it right here in the city.
NY'ers don't have to travel 40 minutes either. Here is the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan (you can see the Hudson on the right):

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
I've always wanted to go camping in general, but especially on the beach. The times I've gone to the beach at night i've seen people camping. It looked really cool.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,869 times
I haven't been to NYC, but have been to Seattle, and if I had to move from the Midwest, I would definitely consider Seattle. Seattle is beautiful, and fairly close to Vancouver (another city I love).

Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM

327 posts, read 948,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I live 20 minutes from the GW Bridge, and another 15 minutes north of me is Harriman State Park. I hike there all the time. It's NOT nearly as big as the Cascades or Mt. Rainier, but it IS big enough to go deep, deep into woods and be secluded. You would never know you're withing 40 minutes of midtown Manhattan. And that's just one example. NY does have plenty of escapes.

The difference is that in Seattle if you just leave the city area, you are in the country, the nature is all around you. In NYC, you have to know where you're going, or else you'll just end up driving through suburban sprawl for 100's of miles. For example, from the GW Bridge, I take the Palisade's Parkway North, and have done so for years. I never knew until recent years that along the Palisades are small pockets of woods and trails where one can go and be completely secluded from the highway and "civilization". It's rather amazing, but if I didn't seek it out and find it, I'd have driven by it for the rest of my life.

In Seattle, I would drive right out of the Seattle area and into the Cascades and nature is all around, no need to seek it out, it's all over.

So your post makes a great point! Rep+ to you!

And good point re: the beach - I've been countless times to the Jersey Shore of course and I also have camped out on the beach in Montauk, LI, and those are experiences I would never get in Seattle.
yea u defntly need to know where your going...i was right near montauk! awsome..dont put it past NY metro to have great scenery

Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM

343 posts, read 1,262,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Seattle has amazing scenery, it takes the cake over NYC if you ask me. Everything you could want is near by, great skiing, hiking, climbing, and kayaking. A true outdoors paradise.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,886,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NY'ers don't have to travel 40 minutes either. Here is the other side of the Hudson from Manhattan (you can see the Hudson on the right):
You're not going to get this view from your overpriced studio apartment's only window however...

Whereas you pretty much can see either the Olympic Mountains or Mount Rainier or the Cascade foothills from anywhere in the Seattle area. Beautiful.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You're not going to get this view from your overpriced studio apartment's only window however...

Whereas you pretty much can see either the Olympic Mountains or Mount Rainier or the Cascade foothills from anywhere in the Seattle area. Beautiful.
Depends where the studio apartment's window is located...

Yes, you can see Rainier or the Cascades from a lot of spots in the Seattle area, but not necessarily all that green in the foreground of your pic. And not from all over the city of Seattle, either. And not from suburbs like Everett.

I will say that definitely you'll see a lot more mountain and green and trees from more parts of the Seattle area, but it's not like NY has none and it's not like Seattle isn't without their areas that are just all urban concrete jungle. My response was to the comment that NY'ers have to travel 40 minutes for green or nature, when in fact they have Central Park, or right across the Hudson there is plenty of natural land for hiking and recreation. None of it's on the scale of the Seattle area, but then again, how many miles of woods does a person need?

I do love Seattle - it was awesome, I love the city, but if I had to choose between it and NY, I have to go with NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or